Powered towbar

From the overkill department, I bring you a homebrew powered towbar run by a cordless drill. I couldn't stomach the $1,600 for a commercial version, so built this one. It's s bit on the heavy side, but gets the job done. Wish there was somewhere to fly to these days.....

47c6ef4a2aed9b2829163de3b13e7e02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

You have a winner there Nipper!

For the official CB records in the overkill department...

What was your total cost of parts..?

A good YouTube will be needed to demonstrate its use...   :)

Looks like your hangar elves have been hanging out Mr. Muncy’s skilled crew...

Fantastic, Bravo!

Best regards,

-a-

From the overkill department, I bring you a homebrew powered towbar run by a cordless drill. I couldn't stomach the $1,600 for a commercial version, so built this one. It's s bit on the heavy side, but gets the job done. Wish there was somewhere to fly to these days.....

do you have any drawn out plans, list of materials, etc for this build. I'd be interested in making my own too and would love the information!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nippernaper said:

Love it!

how much did it cost?

if you can’t fly anywhere well now at least you can take the plane for a nice walk around the airport.

• Haha 3

You have a winner there Nipper!
For the official CB records in the overkill department...
What was your total cost of parts..?
A good YouTube will be needed to demonstrate its use...   
Looks like your hangar elves have been hanging out Mr. Muncy’s skilled crew...
Fantastic, Bravo!
Best regards,
-a-

Not sure I know how to upload a video; I'll work on that. I think the materials ran about $450 all-in, and most if that was the drill ($200 used). Not sure I'll ever be at Don Muncy's level! His sun visors are professional grade.

• Like 1

do you have any drawn out plans, list of materials, etc for this build. I'd be interested in making my own too and would love the information!

I'll see if I can get a list together. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd downsize the steel tubes a bit. It's a little on the heavy side, although that helps hold the drive wheels against the nose wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love it!
how much did it cost?
if you can’t fly anywhere well now at least you can take the plane for a nice walk around the airport.

Sounds like a good personal add - "enjoy taking long walks around the airport with Mooneys...."

• Like 1

I'll see if I can get a list together. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd downsize the steel tubes a bit. It's a little on the heavy side, although that helps hold the drive wheels against the nose wheel.

The list would be great! Also, any other pictures from different angles or a video like others have mentioned would help tremendously. Thanks

• 4 months later...

It's been a little while, but see below for parts list:

McMaster:

Hollow-tired flat-free wheel PN 2331T11 - but almost anything would work here - x2

Steel machinable chain sprocket, 10 tooth for ANSI 35 chain, PN 6793K117 - x2

Flat sprocket, 40 tooth, PN 2299K318 - x2

ebay:

Milwaukee 2707-20 M18 hole hawg 1/2" right angle drill

onlinemetals:

1.25"x0.12" wall x 36" - definitely overkill, next time I will go with a smaller wall thickness

0.5" O1 tool steel for shafts

amazon:

10 piece bearing set, R6-2RS double sealed bearings 3/8" x 7/8" x 9/32"

Various screws, setscrews, and flat barstock to hold bearings.

I'll get more picks this weekend.

Edited by Nippernaper
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks!  What is the recommended lighter steel gauge and what are your recommended news sizes?.  Also how did you fix the wheels to the axle rod?  Weld, glue?  I am wondering if using aluminum instead of steel would work or be strong enough or be much of a weight savings.