WAAS no longer available on 530 and 430

13 hours ago, airtim said:

If your objective is to be able to shoot WAAS approaches and already have a GNS-XXX what is available new that costs anywhere near $4,000? A quick look and an IFD-440 retails for $10,989 or almost triple. It only goes up from there plus install if you're going the GTN route. Is there one I am missing?

it is not like they are charging $4'000 just to slap a software change to it, alot of the hardware is better and new. 

Are the Garmin GTN and Avidyne IFD series better? I think so. Are they worth the money? Only you can decide.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an approach in the world that the latest and greatest navigation boxes can shoot that a GNS-XXXW can't. 

Valid points and I think think the GNS boxes are great. But I have a 430 without WAAS and couldn't imagine paying $4000 to upgrade it to WAAS. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't buy a one without WAAS. 

13 hours ago, airtim said:

To the best of my knowledge there is not an approach in the world that the latest and greatest navigation boxes can shoot that a GNS-XXXW can't. 

8 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

A 430w (or 530w) gives the same ifr approach capabilities as the newest 750.  

Not true, there is an approach capability unique to only the GTN's. But you have to be a fellow IFR nerd to know the difference and even appreciate it, but even the  IFDs can't do them. Nor are they that common, but one of my local GA airports has one! 

Edited by kortopates

9 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Not true, there is an approach capability unique to only the GTN's. But you have to be a fellow IFR nerd to know the difference and even appreciate it, but even the  IFDs can't do them. Nor are they that common, but one of my local GA airports has one! 

I am not going to bed until you tell us what it is!!!

15 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Um yeah, what is it?

2 minutes ago, airtim said:

I am not going to bed until you tell us what it is!!!

Just now, Ragsf15e said:

Um yeah, what is it?

Ok, I'll give you gentlemen a hint, check out approaches at KCRQ, and no, we're of course not talking about AR approaches here.

19 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Ok, I'll give you gentlemen a hint, check out approaches at KCRQ, and no, we're of course not talking about AR approaches here.

Ahh, you’re right.  These are rare, but apparently they exist.  Fixed radius or radius to fix, something like that.  They look like the AR approaches but are approved if you’re appropriately equipped to fly them.0A9FA349-377D-4D1C-A2C8-87B4EC7162DE.thumb.jpeg.533c0ee9ab4e4c0271fb91b8a053a54f.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ahh, you’re right.  These are rare, but apparently they exist.  Fixed radius or radius to fix, something like that.  They look like the AR approaches but are approved if you’re appropriately equipped to fly them.0A9FA349-377D-4D1C-A2C8-87B4EC7162DE.thumb.jpeg.533c0ee9ab4e4c0271fb91b8a053a54f.jpeg

Yep, approaches with RF or Radius Fix segments - in the GA world, only the GTN's can fly them.

11 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

I bet my 430w could fly the final portion after vectors.  I’ll have to check if it’s in the database at all?

Not really, I don't think you'll find the approach in your database - I don't think you'll ever see a partial approach in the database for all the obvious reasons. But you should see another approach that has the same final approach guidance just with different IAF and no RF segments - at CRQ this is the RNAV Y 24 approach. So from that standpoint it's not like there is any airport that you can't get into without RF leg capability - not yet anyway. Its just a nice capability and fun to fly.

You "are approved if you’re appropriately equipped to fly them" -- very true and another important detail, since to fly these you need both a RF Leg capable Navigator (GTN) and an auto-slewing HSI or CDI. But a simple G5 qualifies there.

Thanks for playing along. The GTN does have some awesome capabilities including VNAV which I especially appreciate and use on every flight.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 6:00 AM, airtim said:

After selling your 530 what did the upgrade cost?

I traded an GNS530W (but a 28v only unit which is worth less) and 6995.00 cash for an IFD540 + SkyTrax100 ADSB in (thrown in for free)

I also traded a GTX330ES transponder + $2000 cash for an AXP322 remote ADSB out transponder.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, Ragsf15e said:

This is a nice one just flew it in the sim.