WAAS no longer available on 530 and 430

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

They probably won't be worth anything in trade either... after the month ends.

I assume you mean non WAAS units wont be worth anything in trade after the availability of the upgrade goes away?

I would think the value of a WAAS unit might even go up no?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khedrei said:

I assume you mean non WAAS units wont be worth anything in trade after the availability of the upgrade goes away?

I would think the value of a WAAS unit might even go up no?

Correct, and I'd agree... to a certain extent...

The trade-in value of these GNS's have been dropping steadily. Even the WAAS units. As more and more are swapped out for new/modern GPS/FMS's. I noticed the value dropping and figured I should trade my 530W before the value dropped any further. That was two years ago. I put in the IFD540. Did the swap myself. No installation cost. Couldn't be happier with it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PMcClure said:

Heard the same. $4000 upgrade for the 430. It hardly seems worth it compared to some of the new stuff out there.

If your objective is to be able to shoot WAAS approaches and already have a GNS-XXX what is available new that costs anywhere near $4,000? A quick look and an IFD-440 retails for $10,989 or almost triple. It only goes up from there plus install if you're going the GTN route. Is there one I am missing?

it is not like they are charging $4'000 just to slap a software change to it, alot of the hardware is better and new. 

Are the Garmin GTN and Avidyne IFD series better? I think so. Are they worth the money? Only you can decide.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an approach in the world that the latest and greatest navigation boxes can shoot that a GNS-XXXW can't. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Correct, and I'd agree... to a certain extent...

The trade-in value of these GNS's have been dropping steadily. Even the WAAS units. As more and more are swapped out for new/modern GPS/FMS's. I noticed the value dropping and figured I should trade my 530W before the value dropped any further. That was two years ago. I put in the IFD540. Did the swap myself. No installation cost. Couldn't be happier with it.

After selling your 530 what did the upgrade cost?

58 minutes ago, airtim said:

If your objective is to be able to shoot WAAS approaches and already have a GNS-XXX what is available new that costs anywhere near $4,000? A quick look and an IFD-440 retails for $10,989 or almost triple. It only goes up from there plus install if you're going the GTN route. Is there one I am missing?

it is not like they are charging $4'000 just to slap a software change to it, alot of the hardware is better and new. 

Are the Garmin GTN and Avidyne IFD series better? I think so. Are they worth the money? Only you can decide.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an approach in the world that the latest and greatest navigation boxes can shoot that a GNS-XXXW can't. 

The Garmin upgrade is actually now $4500 not $4000. Let's say you could sell a GNS 430 without getting it upgraded for $3000. You should be able to get an IFD440 for $10,000.

I'd rather spend $10000 for a much more capable product and sell the GNS 430 for $3000 than spend $4500 and have a much sooner orphaned GNS430W product. if you compare it's only $2500 difference ($4500 vs $7000). Spread that over the next 10-15 years and it's easy to justify.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Garmin upgrade is actually now $4500 not $4000. Let's say you could sell a GNS 430 without getting it upgraded for $3000. You should be able to get an IFD440 for $10,000.

I'd rather spend $10000 for a much more capable product and sell the GNS 430 for $3000 than spend $4500 and have a much sooner orphaned GNS430W product. if you compare it's only $2500 difference ($4500 vs $7000). Spread that over the next 10-15 years and it's easy to justify.

That makes sense i didn't realize it worked out to be such a small spread. 

15 minutes ago, elimansour said:

I stand corrected!  Thanks for pointing that out.  

The 650 is a different size than the 430 though, so if your panel is already filled up, installation goes up dramatically.  If you’ve got extra space, potentially a good deal.

Ive got a working 430w and really can’t see replacing it until it dies.  Although I also drive a 2001 F-150 that I’ve had since new.  A 430w (or 530w) gives the same ifr approach capabilities as the newest 750.  If My 430 holds on a few more years, I’ll skip straight to the Garmin 1150 super XR! (Yeah, I made that up).

If you like a new iPhone every year or two because the camera and the chip are better, than trading the 430w for a 650 is probably a good deal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

The 650 is a different size than the 430 though, so if your panel is already filled up, installation goes up dramatically.  If you’ve got extra space, potentially a good deal.

Ive got a working 430w and really can’t see replacing it until it dies.  Although I also drive a 2001 F-150 that I’ve had since new.  A 430w (or 530w) gives the same ifr approach capabilities as the newest 750.  If My 430 holds on a few more years, I’ll skip straight to the Garmin 1150 super XR! (Yeah, I made that up).

If you like a new iPhone every year or two because the camera and the chip are better, than trading the 430w for a 650 is probably a good deal.

The 650 should be the same size. 

My money would sell the 430 for 2500-3k and buy a used W for 5-5500. No reason to spend a premium on old technology. However, I’ve seen a few 530w go for 6-6500 and 540’s for around 10. I’d probably be pulled that direction and rerack the panel. 

39 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

My #2 is a 430W and it also works fine.  But it can't be controlled by the G3x Touch,  and having never had to be a GNS knob-twisting expert, I dont know how to do much with it besides enter a flight plan and dial in a radio freq to listen to AWOS. The freqs I look up on the 750 or on the G3X on the Waypoint tab..because touchscreen. The flight plan I never do because it crossfills from the 750 or the G3x.

None of which are a $6,000 irritant...yet. B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMBrown said:

Will Garmin continue to support, ie make updates for, the GNS series?

Even if they stop supporting it you should still be able to keep it current. I have a MX20 that Garmin doesn't support but I get the updates through Jeppesen.

Given that there are so many GNS boxes out there I think it will be quite some time before Garmin stops supporting them. Someday a GNS box will be sitting next to the ADF and Loran boxes.

An existing GNS in the panel is a depreciating asset continuing to provide its owner free cash flow! Why give that up? Garmin helps tremendously by upgrading it, renewing it, factory certifying it and continue servicing it for under 5 grand! The unit gets a fresh new look. Among other things it will get a new faster microprocessor which enables upgraded software and improved graphics and advanced terrain database. You'll be hard pressed to distinguish it from new! If desired can be paired up to an FS210 which, among other advantages, wirelessly pushes flight plans to and from a portable. This would mitigate the knob twisting on the GNS and bring its capability to almost that of a GTN!  For an existing GNS in the panel the WAAS upgrade is a bargain. What other manufacturer can provide certified WAAS capability for under 5 grand?

• Like 4

I just finished my panel upgrade (Aspen, EA100, GI 275) and opted (both for fiscal and practical reasons) to keep my 530W and upgrade my 430 to 430W.  In a couple of years, when my wallet recovers, I’ll probably opt for the IFD 540/440 since they will plug right into the same brackets.  

• Like 2

Non-WAAS GNS 430 owner here.  I’ve decided to go the IFD440 route.  The problem with the GTN 650, aside from the additional install cost as previously mentioned, is that the avionics shops in this corner of the world are still crazy busy.  With the IFD, if the existing coax cable length is good, I only need to replace the antenna and a circuit breaker, and the savings can go towards a second Aspen or back into the maintenance fund.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The flip side argument is that if you keep the 430 and it becomes obsolete or fails in 5 years, you'll only spend $2500 extra at that time, but you'll keep $4500 in cash in the meantime.  If you spread the extra $2500 over 5 years, that is also easy to justify standing pat if the 430 still works and meets your requirements.

• Like 3