Kid headset recommendations

bradp

Hi all

Last flight Mrs has had it with the pink headset for the little one.  Seems like there are all sorts of design flaws.  Notably it’s a shorter headband with standard size ear cups that provides clamping pressure on the top half of the cup while pulling away from the bottom half. So it’s probably loud and uncomfortable for the little one.  The standard ear cups are also too tall for a small child and dig into their chin   

I’m half heartedly thinking about designing a better fitting kid headset or transplanting the mic and speakers from the baby banz. 

Any better kid headset options out there?

How old is the kid? My son has been using a Zulu 3 since he was 8 and has had no problems. He likes using the Bluetooth to link to his iPad so he can ignore us and play Minecraft while he’s in the back. 

Lately he’s been using these earplugs in addition to the headset and likes it even more:

High Fidelity Concert Ear Plugs, Hearprotek Noise Reduction Music Earplugs-Hearing Protection for Musicians, DJ’s, Drummers, Percussion, Festival, Nightclub and Other Loud Events (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSFXZX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R7bTEbY1PFFFC

There was some discussion a while ago regarding whether or not ANR was as effective for hearing protection as the equivalent level of passive noise reduction and since I couldn’t make sense of the information I decided to try both. So far, seems to be working.

Mine used baby bubz or baby bandz plus earplugs until they were 2-3.  Then I bought some basic youth headsets (passive) from Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/headsets_youth/pilotUSAheadsets8.php

They have been using these for 2 years now with good results.  Apparently if you contact the company they will send you an adult headband for them as the kids grow.

These headsets have an aux input for an ipad.  About 3 or 4 years old, connect mind control to headsets at leveloff and enjoy peaceful flight.  If you buy headsets without inputs, make sure you have a way to pipe the audio through your comm panel to the kids while isolating yourself (and possibly the Mrs, depends on your level of compassion) from a 4th viewing of Frozen.

The older one is 6 and stole my zulu 3s.  She loves them.  The younger one is 2.  She’s too small for the standard (or child) headsets and she is a talker.  Doesn’t like being without the intercom.  

I think what I’ll do is get a pair of kid banz (one size up from baby banz and <$20) and transplant speakers and a mic to make a Frankenbanz. 

• Like 1