Where to rent Mooneys in SoCal

My wife and I are considering purchasing a pre J Mooney and would like to rent one prior to making any purchase decisions.  Do any of you know where it's possible to rent one in SoCal, and could you also recommend a CFI with Mooney experience?  My wife is the pilot, and she has approximately 350 hours of flight time with Rotocraft, Fixed Wing, IFR and Complex ratings.  We are closest to KSNA, but she also flys out of KCRQ, and we're willing to go anywhere in the LA/San Diego area.  She currently flys a Piper Arrow III and Cessna 172,based on aircraft availability ,with a strong preference for the Piper. 

I understand that transition training is a must, hence the request for a CFI with Mooney experience.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. 

I think CRQ actually has a 201 for rent. They might have retired it though.

Edit: pinnacle aviation at crq. Its not in their fleet but they still own it so might be worth a call.

1 hour ago, Paulyslug said:

Thanks.  Do you know which company offers that for rent?  I did find a M20B at KLGB with a little Internet sleuthing.  We're also willing to fund "$100 Hamburger flights" if anyone is open to that idea. 

If you havent seen the edit: pinnacle aviation at crq. Its not in their fleet but they still own it so might be worth a call

3 minutes ago, Paulyslug said:

Called and spoke with Dubois, and they will call me back as they don't normally rent the Mooney out. 

Well of course you're looking for either plane with one of their instructors with it - that should help you get a more positive response.

I suggest you focus on the early J model at Pinnacle at CRQ - N201DD - versus what I recall as a B model at Dubois. If you like the J model, as I surely think you will, but decide you still want to stay pre-J for $ then you could pursue an older F model which is the same mid-body air-frame as the J. An F with some of the mods to bring it up closer to the J model will still cost less than a J. 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:10 PM, jash767 said:

1969 Mooney M20C for rent.  $52.00 per hour without fuel.  The Mooney is located at Montgomery Airport in San Diego, CA. PM me if you are interested in flying.  

Hey, I figured how to copy the link! Oops, I believe the post was from jash767 Anyways, try this fella down in San Diego, he might be able to help. The other place was down in Chino or airport in IE that has an F model but they weren’t doing any flying sure to the ‘Rona. 
Steve

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paulyslug said:

Called and spoke with Dubois, and they will call me back as they don't normally rent the Mooney out. 

Wow, that's really odd??  I rented their M20B for over 5 years before I bought my F in 2017; took some nice trips and they didn't have a daily minimum.  Lou's a good guy.  Maybe, like Paul said, you need to fly with their instructor for a while.  You're welcome to PM me if you want to check out my F. I'm based at Brackett, KPOC (La Verne).

• Like 1

Go Mooney!

rent one as close to the one you intend to buy...

Not that any of them fly much differently than the next...

But...

If you think you will get much out of a single flight...

Make that single flight in a very similar plane...

Realistically...

• every flight is different... affects of Temp, and DA, and turbulence... (Mooneys are better than the others)
  • every plane is different...
  • So many things are different...
  • The POH has more answers than a single test flight...
  • Comfy test flights don’t tell much about the performance of the plane...
  • Uncomfy test flights make you think more about the pilot... :)

I selected my Mooneys by the numbers... the test flight was used to confirm the plane was running properly... before going into PPI...

I never test flighted the O... Some guy named DMax did that as part of the PPI... no surprises...

Mooneys perform better than anybody can write about them... unless they wrote a bunch of dimensions in a chart next to the WAAS derived performance numbers...

Did I mention... Go Mooney!

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paulyslug said:

My wife and I are considering purchasing a pre J Mooney and would like to rent one prior to making any purchase decisions.  Do any of you know where it's possible to rent one in SoCal, and could you also recommend a CFI with Mooney experience?  My wife is the pilot, and she has approximately 350 hours of flight time with Rotocraft, Fixed Wing, IFR and Complex ratings.  We are closest to KSNA, but she also flys out of KCRQ, and we're willing to go anywhere in the LA/San Diego area.  She currently flys a Piper Arrow III and Cessna 172,based on aircraft availability ,with a strong preference for the Piper. 

I understand that transition training is a must, hence the request for a CFI with Mooney experience.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. 

Although you are looking for pre-J's, don't count out the J or K. I was looking at F's before I adhered to advice to go after the most plane I could afford, that meets my mission. My mission is less than 300NM, 1 soul, fast... occasional 2 maybe 3 souls greater than 500NM... which led me to my J. Happy to demo, although the plane is configured for two and may be a touch dirty.

Paul @kortopates mentioned an F is not too far away from a J and can even come close with speed mods, so a demo will show you what an F would look/feel like on the ground. The difference would be speed mod related and you could start from a J demo.

Currently I'm tied down at French Valley--F70--which is closed until Thursday for runway improvements, hence the dirtiness. I'm planning on a flight to and from Gillespie Field--KSEE--on Friday and can stop in KCRQ on the way back if y'all are interested. Send me a PM to coordinate and let me know if I need to put a back seat in to accommodate three. Also, don't freak out if I show up with a face mask, rubber gloves and a grip of sanitizer.  

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

He’s too humble to toot his own horn, but @kortopates is probably one of the finest Mooney instructors you can find in SoCal. He was the certainly the best one I could find and I spent a lot of time looking!

He’s a pretty Savvy A&P/IA as well (pun intended).

You will receive quality thorough information and instruction from Paul Kortopates. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Shout out to MikeOH & his wife for showing us their beautiful F!  The visit solidified our desire to pursue a Mooney and we're focusing on a F or J.   On a related note, Dubois never got back to me, but I will try them again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

And I thought Mike OH was from Ohio...  :)

This whole name thing is confusing at best...

Either way...

Go MikeOH!

Best regards,

-a-

I just figured his last name was Hydroxyl or something like that.  ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I just figured his last name was Hydroxyl or something like that.  ;)

His full name was originally Michael hydroxide...

His brother was the watery fellow... hydrogen hydroxide...   HOH aka... H2O...

My apologies to Mike... while I go off on a chemistry tangent...

I’m celebrating Mike’s efforts to bring people into the Mooney world...

PP thoughts only, not a chemist... or comedian...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

If you are wanting to check out an E model, I am located in Santa Monica and happy to take you up. Most of my Mooney time is in E and K models so I don't have valuable input with regards to comparison to J/F model.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Paulyslug said:

Shout out  to Skates97 for all his time today sharing the Mooney way and for an awesome flight! 

My pleasure, always looking for an excuse to fly and getting to talk about Mooney's before/during/after is a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1