Need to replace co-pilot windshield. Should I just do one-piece? (not the 201 conversion)

So I'm in the process of buying a 66 M20E.  The pre-buy inspection found 2 cracks (2 inches each) on the upper right corner of the co-pilot windshield.  They were stop drilled but the cracks continued...  The windshield needs to be replaces and the seller is going to cover the cost.  The right side is going to cost approx. $800 parts and labor to replace.  

Question is, should I just replace both of the current windshields with a one-piece windshield.  (Not the 201 windshield)  I have an estimate of $2300 for a one-piece, parts and labor.

Is there and benefit to keeping the 2 windshields separate?  What are the benefits of a one-piece?  I don't see much difference other than looks and cost.

If you get the one piece, you can go to the thicker size for better noise reduction.

Having the one-piece also exposes the center vertical strut behind the windscreen, which makes a great handhold for entering and exiting the aircraft.

My personal opinion, it’s up to your personal opinion on whether to replace with original 2 piece or the one piece windscreen.

I replaced (with certified supervision) a two piece windscreen with a grey tinted one piece on an E model several years ago. I believe the one piece was a cleaner look along with adding a little more forward visibility.......yes, exposing the center post was useful and cool looking too.  

If you do expose the center post, I believe you’ll have to configure a different compass mount.

Of course, I had to replace the side windows to match the grey tinted windscreen...... all looked terrific! 

My personal opinion....:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingchump said:

But don't I need to install it somewhere else?  Where would that be?

I believe he's referencing another thread, talking about the fact that a number of digital gauge packages have outside air temperature as a feature and therefore people desiring to remove the big ugly one on the windscreen:  

• Like 2

I have to say, I appreciate the better view out of my single-piece windshield.  I'm pretty sure the '66 you have has the flat topped windshield and it is even smaller than mine was, so any extra viewing space would be appreciated.  Another plus is two fewer seams to leak.

If you like classic vehicles that are timeless...

Keep the old style...

If you like the modern idea of unobstructed visibility... go with the one piece, you rebel!  :)

If you are going to buy an old plane and modernize it every year until it looks brand new and flys extra fast... go with the 201 windshield!

If you want to save a boatload of dollars and get the M20E already complete... find Bob’s plane... it’s for sale!

For an example of a forever-plane M20E... find bob’s plane, for comparison...

Best regards,

-a-

Best M20E on the market...   

My audible/longevity experience with the one piece on the E model, I noticed no sound difference between the stock 2 piece and the one piece.

It’s loud in the cockpit without headsets regardless.  Lightspeeds Zulu 2 and/or Bose X headsets were used at that time.

To my knowledge, there are no wear issues/degradation of the one piece which was installed approximately 13 years ago.

Again, my experience only.

The reason for the two piece has got to be interesting...

The acrylic sheet raw material, was cast between two large pieces of glass... large enough to trim out the standard 4’ X 8’ standard ply-wood board shape... any thickness desired up to about 2” thick...

I expect molding a whole windshield was a touch more challenging than molding half a windshield...

I’m sure Art Mooney would prefer to fit half of a windshield than a whole one...

Precision molding is required to match the airframe... less precision is required with a space running down the middle...

PP thoughts only, not a plane builder...

Best regards,

-a-

In my A model I had the original two piece windshield.  I decided to replace it with the 1/4" one piece unit.  It improved the visibility and certainly upgrades the exterior appearance to get rid of the old vert. divider strip - in my opinion.  Any noise reduction was not detected.  Fitting the new, thicker windshield is a challenge and time consuming.  Note the beveled edges in the attached photos. I would never consider installing a 201 style windshield and loose the ability to access/work behind the panel.   I think the biggest decision is what type of sealant to use.  I'll save that topic for later.  Also, I dimpled the alumn. and counter sunk the glass enough to use flush head crews on final install.  That was probably the best decision - cleaned up the over all appearance.  Joe

new glass 1.jpg

P1012215.JPG

Edited by mike20papa
  • Like 1