Autopilot options, 1970 M20E

What are some autopilot options that are available today to install in a 1970 M20E? I currently have the old Brittain and, well, it acts like a drunken sailor.

I've got a GTN650 and was considering a Garmin G3X as an upgrade to the panel since it includes the engine monitor. I know the more prudent financial course is to sell this one and find a plane with the avionics I want (dream plane is a 2006-2008 Oviation with waas, a/c, gfc autopilot, and he 310 hp upgrade), but I want to see what options there are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of fully-functioning APs for our aircraft are here...you're probably already aware.

Both have their pros and cons.  The STEC/Genesys autopilot would be a logical choice as well, but isn't currently certified for any Mooney at this point.  I'm passing up a new autopilot right now in secret hopes that the GFC600 eventually gets certified for the Ovation, but I'm probably wasting my power of hoping.  If you're fortunate enough to find a 2006 - 2008 Ovation with the GFC700, make sure it has WAAS with the VNAV ("option 3" - the GDU1044 right display...below).

I wouldn't personally invest in upgrading your "E" if you're looking for an Ovation.  These will likely be sunk costs, so you're better off putting that money into an Ovation you really want.  The "E" is a hot commodity and will likely sell quickly.

As a sidebar, I'll be in San Marcos in 2 weeks from about the 21st until the 30th for annual.  Feel free to stop by the McKee Avionics hangar to introduce yourself and we can chat about options.

Steve

image.png.13ec30ba919f07490513c8e545c168f8.png

43 minutes ago, N9405V said:

What are some autopilot options that are available today to install in a 1970 M20E?

17 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

A couple of fully-functioning APs for our aircraft are here...you're probably already aware.

• GFC500 -->

Today, the GFC 500 is not available for the M20E.  The F is currently going through certification. When it finishes, July/August timeframe, then the E will begin certification. Likely will not be complete until early 2021.

• Thanks 1

I'm in the same boat as you so I've been watching the market carefully.  To clarify what some guys above are saying, For the E model, the only autopilot I'm aware of is S-tech 3100 55x and it's $20k PLUS install so it's not even a consideration for me.

With that said, the TruTrak and the GFC-500 are the only pending options that I'm aware of.  GFC-500 is a much more powerful autopilot, but there is not a commitment from Garmin on when or even if they will work on the STC for the E model.  There is a lot of rumor, but the fact of the matter is they haven't even started work.  Maybe the F work will also cover the E, but we just don't know and I doubt it will when it's the difference between the short body and long body.  I should add I'm mostly ignorant of the FAA approval process and requirements, so read my last statement with that in mind.  I have a estimated quote for install at $14,000 but I have a G5 already installed too.

On the other hand, the TruTrak was purchased by Bendix-King and supposedly has the paperwork submitted to the FAA for the E models and is just waiting on their approval.  It's not as powerful as the GFC-500.  Specifically, it can't fly approaches.  Some have considered it a VFR autopilot due to it's approach limitations.  However it's only $5000 plus install and I've seen shops advertising it for $7995 installed.  It's not limited to VFR.  It can fly in IFR, but you'll still have to hand fly the approach. 

For my needs, the TruTrak is fine.  It is expected to be on the market sooner, cheaper, and fills my needs.  Most likely when it comes available it will go in my plane.  If Garmin surprises us all and hits the market at roughly the same time, I would splurge for the more capable system.  However I'm not holding my breath or waiting on it.

My two cents, FWIW.

Edited by bob865
Corrected the Stec model number.
  • Like 2

A couple of corrections...

The only autopilot that I'm aware of that can be installed today in an M20E is the STEC 55x. 

The STEC 3100 is not STC'd for any of the Mooneys and probably never will. (That's enough to get me to rule out Genesys period). 

The BK 230 is STC'd. for J's and later only. The BK 100 is still going through testing/certification.

The Garmin GFC500 is also still in progress for the F, as @kpaul said, and the E might come after that.

There really aren't any good options TODAY.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

Today, the GFC 500 is not available for the M20E.  The F is currently going through certification. When it finishes, July/August timeframe, then the E will begin certification. Likely will not be complete until early 2021.

Got it...thanks for catching.

3 hours ago, kpaul said:

Garmin says the E/F is in plan but not currently in progress. They're saying they plan to start in the next 12 months. I'm on the list to be a test aircraft. Since I have the GI-275's which are set up to drive the 500 I'm hoping I get selected.

-Robert

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Garmin says the E/F is in plan but not currently in progress. They're saying they plan to start in the next 12 months. I'm on the list to be a test aircraft. Since I have the GI-275's which are set up to drive the 500 I'm hoping I get selected.

-Robert

Unless they need an F specifically for the GI-275, I am sorry to say Garmin won't be calling.  They are using my F.  It was dropped off to them late February. I should have it back late July or early August. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

Unless they need an F specifically for the GI-275, I am sorry to say Garmin won't be calling.  They are using my F.  It was dropped off to them late February. I should have it back late July or early August. 

I signed up to be the candidate E model. Did you do anything special to get selected or did you just win the autopilot lottery?

3 hours ago, bob865 said:

I signed up to be the candidate E model. Did you do anything special to get selected or did you just win the autopilot lottery?

Honestly, I think a lot had to do with timing and location.  They like it when the plane can be flown to them for a pre-inspection.  I was on the ground for a couple of hours so their A&Ps and engineers could take a look at the plane and the panel set up.  They also require that the plane not have any inspections coming due during the time they would have it for certification.  As luck would have it mine went to them just as it came out of annual.  I know they rejected a couple Fs prior to mine for maintenance concerns.

I signed up on their website and the last couple of years at OSH, I'm not sure which entry was the winning ticket.

I believe the E they are planning on using is based at a nearby airport, so I think location really helped that one.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 8:25 AM, kpaul said:

Thanks for this. I was confused by the 500 suggestion. Looking forward to the F being certified. 

7 hours ago, GLJA said:

Thanks for this. I was confused by the 500 suggestion. Looking forward to the F being certified. 

Me too! It would mean I get to fly my plane again.  Luckily, I fly for a living since it's been almost 3 months since my last Mooney flight.