Tornados and airports don't mix

A small rope tornado hit the Abilene Kansas airport this morning. Totally destroyed the row of T hangars. 100B97E2-05EC-4445-A57F-9EED94BED130.thumb.jpeg.f33ee6f9b4e03439f275a14c68b309d4.jpegA0C7F700-A723-4634-8F5D-1C6C21E93D43.thumb.jpeg.2a6e2ef057d45fc1e3e82afe11134148.jpeg

Unfortunately, there is now one less Mooney, the only Mooney on the field. AC4D94AA-1A4D-4BB1-9FCB-F4784937700A.thumb.jpeg.226df16d80af2fbb4e998c22871c924e.jpeg

It doesn't show up well in the picture, but this is the remnants of the hangars spread in a line for over a mile.CA6369D5-A8C0-49DF-86E8-5D227396C987.jpeg

Edited by skydvrboy
  • Sad 5

10 minutes ago, amillet said:

M20A wood wing?

Definitely a wood wing, and I think it is the A model.  Sadly, it wasn't insured and the guy just spent 5 years getting all back in shape.  The wings were just reinstalled last month.

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Hope everyone is alright. 

Yes, that is one blessing.  Everyone is OK.  This is where I get my annual and maintenance done and the whole crew was there when it hit.  Their hangar was the only one that didn't get any damage to it.  A few other hangars sustained damage but completely protected the aircraft inside.

Most unfortunate indeed.

Having spent my early years living on a farm in Northeastern Oklahoma, a tornado can destroy one home, a barn, a building in its path, yet the structure next door is left intact and unharmed.

One row of hangars/planes demolished and the adjacent row untouched.......y’all know what I’m talkin’ about !

It was immensely frightening to see them coming across the field !!!

Hate to see this, the upside is that nobody was killed. Metal and wood can be fixed or replaced. When I was kid a massive tornado cut through our neighborhood in Chicago's southwest suburbs, tore the roof off our house. Fortunately my mom and brother and sister along with our two dogs emerged with just some smalls cuts and bruises. Hopefully the aircraft can be repaired.