Garmin pilot hanging

I thought I'd try Garmin Pilot since I got my GNX375 and GI 275s. I've been using WingX since its free for CFIs but in the past I've used Foreflight and Garmin PIlot. For the price Garmin Pilot seems to be the best value for Garmin cockpit integration. I liked that any change in flight plan on the 375 or the iPad immediately pushed to the other. However when shooting approaches yesterday it hung on me several times. Nothing I pressed on the screen had a response. I switched my iPad over to WingX and everything was fine on it. Then I'd go back to Garmin Pilot, sometimes it would work for a bit but then hang again.

Anyone else experience this? Not too nice for an app to freeze while you're trying to follow the approach chart.

-Robert

Long time GP user here. Its critical, or so I've found that all other apps besides GP be closed before flight - not just exited but closed. When i've encountered performance issues in the past, that helped quiet a bit. I run it on the latest Mini.

I used WingsX as well, loved it for domestic flying but haven't used it for some time.

• Like 3

I do like some of the flight planning in Garmin Pilot. The easy way you can store a load manifest for typical missions and then just apply the is nice. Being able to generate a formal W&B print out is helpful too since when flying with CAP we're required to submit a full W&B work up before we get the flight released.

-Robert

nope (knock on wood).  where is your ipad mounted?  if it's in direct sunlight I could see that happening but I have GP on Samsung tablet every flight, hasn't locked up on me.  same with old nexus tablet.  same on iPhone.

I'm a long time GP user and here's some challenges I've run across.

Make sure your data is turned OFF when you're in the air. Freezes I've encountered have been from:

1) It's trying to pull maps or information via 4G/LTE/etc. Make sure data is off.

2) The device is getting too warm. The CPU will throttle itself, Pilot is a hog. Shield it, don't put it on the dash.

3) The maps aren't fully up to date or are corrupted (rare). Around when new maps come out, reboot, open, wait, make sure it's fully happy with its maps, and reboot again and make sure. I wish the auto update worked right. My iPad sits on a charger with fast internet when it's not in the plane so I'm not sure what more ideal scenario it's looking for to make it work consistently.

4) Make sure no other programs are running. You could just close them, a reboot is better.

Hope one of those helps out!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

nope (knock on wood).  where is your ipad mounted?  if it's in direct sunlight I could see that happening but I have GP on Samsung tablet every flight, hasn't locked up on me.  same with old nexus tablet.  same on iPhone.

Its mounted the same when I successfully switched to WingX :)

-Robert

I’m a long time user of dos and windows products....

Lately in have found that Apple products have adopted the same resolution to the blue screen of death...

Sometimes, an app hangs on itself...  do the double click on the home but and swipe the apps away....

Re-start the important app and see how long it will run...

If it fails again...

Blue screen of death solution.... turn the iPad off holding the off button down... 

There isn’t an actual blue screen for an iPad.... but recycling from the beginning seems to clear a complex app hang up...

PP thoughts only, not an iPad expert...

Best regards,

-a-

Which iPad do you have? These apps load a ton of data into ram and the older 2GB models have issues with GP and FF. As said above force close all running apps (swipe them up to close from the app switcher). You can also try a fresh reboot to make sure the OS doesnt have any weirdness going on. Also make sure you are on the latest supported iOS version that GP supports.

I had issues with an older iPad and FF, after speaking with support and getting them logs they basically said use less map filters or get a better iPad because you are running out of memory. I swapped to a latest gen mini and have not had a single issue since.

Edited by dzeleski

I've always bought the iPad with the most memory, 128 GB iPaid Air 2 being the last one a few years ago.  It has cellular which is activated.  Garmin Pilot is my primary flight app.   A couple of years ago, after an IOS update it would continually bomb out.  Several updates later and I've never had an additional problem with Garmin Pilot.  I have not closed any other applications running in the background, however, I can see that might be advantageous if there is a memory issue.

I honestly feel like Garmin is leaving money on the table here. They already charge different for some of their hardware by class (business jets pay more for some Garmin stuff than we do). If they offered a package for single engine piston's that included all the databases and Garmin Pilot for a reasonable price more would buy it. A lot of guys don't buy regular subscription upgrades or just occasionally buy a nav update. But with the GI-275's and GTX-375 (each has several databases), plus Garmin Pilot I could easily pay $1,000/yr in database. Maybe something in the $500 range would attract more buyers.

-Robert

8 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I honestly feel like Garmin is leaving money on the table here. They already charge different for some of their hardware by class (business jets pay more for some Garmin stuff than we do). If they offered a package for single engine piston's that included all the databases and Garmin Pilot for a reasonable price more would buy it. A lot of guys don't buy regular subscription upgrades or just occasionally buy a nav update. But with the GI-275's and GTX-375 (each has several databases), plus Garmin Pilot I could easily pay $1,000/yr in database. Maybe something in the $500 range would attract more buyers.

-Robert

That’s what the OnePak and PilotPaks are.  I get Aera, GTN, GNC, and GP premium in one bundle with OnePak.

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

That’s what the OnePak and PilotPaks are.  I get Aera, GTN, GNC, and GP premium in one bundle with OnePak.

I didn’t even think about my GNC too. So with GI 275’s, GNC 255 and GNX 375 plus GP. But all those come to around $1,000 with the Garmin packs as I understand it. 

-Robert 

9 hours ago, donkaye said:

I've always bought the iPad with the most memory, 128 GB iPaid Air 2 being the last one a few years ago.  It has cellular which is activated.  Garmin Pilot is my primary flight app.   A couple of years ago, after an IOS update it would continually bomb out.  Several updates later and I've never had an additional problem with Garmin Pilot.  I have not closed any other applications running in the background, however, I can see that might be advantageous if there is a memory issue.

I suspect that I was probably missing some data. Since I was just going out locally I didn't have GP download the "pack" of stuff for the local area. So when it saw the cell tower I suspect it locked up.

-Robert

9 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

FWIW I was a long time GP user (1400+ hours) and it did close out on me numerous times. So much so that I made sure I had two devices iPhone and iPad running while shooting approaches to have back up ready. For the past 300 hours I’ve been using FlyQ and am so pleased with the performance that I purchased a lifetime subscription at a very good price. YMMV

I was very happy with WingX (free for CFI's) but my Garmin cockpit only works with GP of ForeFlight. ForeFlight seems to be less of a value.

-Robert