clear statements and interesting use of flying time

??? article says it occurred to him while aloft to spell something out. "Hines tells Washingtonian he hadn’t planned to execute such a flight when he set out on his first flight in a while. “We’d just got a new compass in the airplane, and I just had to check it out somehow,” he says. While aloft, he realized via the flight-planning app ForeFlight that he could use his outing to “express how I felt.” So with one eye on the app, Hines carefully spelled out his message as he flew, keeping the letters fairly uniform in size."

I don't find that to be plausible.  He did a fine job in his preplanned and well executed sky writing, but that was not something I just don't see how that is the creation of a whim during flight.  Seems like he is lying to take a bit of pressure off himself as if this is premeditated vs a whim.

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

??? article says it occurred to him while aloft to spell something out. "Hines tells Washingtonian he hadn’t planned to execute such a flight when he set out on his first flight in a while. “We’d just got a new compass in the airplane, and I just had to check it out somehow,” he says. While aloft, he realized via the flight-planning app ForeFlight that he could use his outing to “express how I felt.” So with one eye on the app, Hines carefully spelled out his message as he flew, keeping the letters fairly uniform in size."

I don't find that to be plausible.  He did a fine job in his preplanned and well executed sky writing, but that was not something I just don't see how that is the creation of a whim during flight.  Seems like he is lying to take a bit of pressure off himself as if this is premeditated vs a whim.

I think this would be pretty easy to pull off. Draw it out on foreflight and follow the line. With a GPS, Autopilot, and FlightStream you could draw it out and hit upload and it'll fly it for you.

That said, I suspect this was a premeditated idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danb said:

Erik what the heck else is there to do, house arrest is for the birds..

I didn't mean to be so grumpy.  Sorry I came off like that.  I was just saying I think he pre-planned it and should just say yahoo look what I did.  I wasn't saying he should have done it.  Actually I saw that script last week and smiled when I saw it that someone had a fun day.

E

On 5/4/2020 at 11:18 AM, aviatoreb said:

Actually, it's quite easy to do in ForeFlight with the new "breadcrumbs" feature in the map view. It dynamically traces a breadcrumb of your route and so you could pretty easily just make turns based on watching the breadcrumbs.  Methinks perhaps a bit of research was warranted prior to dismissing his effort so easily.

https://blog.foreflight.com/2019/01/28/foreflight-goes-to-11/

14 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Actually, it's quite easy to do in ForeFlight with the new "breadcrumbs" feature in the map view. It dynamically traces a breadcrumb of your route and so you could pretty easily just make turns based on watching the breadcrumbs.  Methinks perhaps a bit of research was warranted prior to dismissing his effort so easily.

Well several of you have pointed out my cranky post...may well be wrong.  I stand corrected.  Thank you.

E

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Well several of you have pointed out my cranky post...may well be wrong.  I stand corrected.  Thank you.

E

Cranky you say?  Suggest opening Tasteless Joke of the Day thread and study !!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Cranky you say?  Suggest opening Tasteless Joke of the Day thread and study !!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually - we SHOULD open up such a thread!

I read in the paper today some guy is posting a joke on his lawn everyday.  I read a few and one was.... I ordered a chicken and an egg on Amazon today......  I'll let you know.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Continuing with the fun....I made this.

path.png

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

If nothing else, can't you write on the screen with your finger, then fly along and watch the trail as you go? The finger writing won't show up anywhere, and having it as a guide to follow will make the results much neater. 

41 minutes ago, Hank said:

If nothing else, can't you write on the screen with your finger, then fly along and watch the trail as you go? The finger writing won't show up anywhere, and having it as a guide to follow will make the results much neater. 

Not sure on FF or others, WingX only has the pencil available when the notepad or an approach plate is selected