Interactions with ATC

13 minutes ago, bradp said:

@ohdub oh cool.  Neat airspace.  Are you the famous YouTube CYYZ mooney flying controller featured with Steve flight chops ? 

Yup, that's me. We flew together to the Mooney Summit in 2018, that episode is in the pipeline, hopefully he'll get it out soon.

• Like 1

I think it really depends on where you are and when you’re there. PHX approach was saying “unable” constantly today. I heard more that one controller say they were working multiple sectors. Most of the controllers were friendly, but it definitely seems like some areas are getting pretty stressed.

Maybe it was an anomaly because there was some kind of event in Phoenix today. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, ilovecornfields said:

I think it really depends on where you are and when you’re there. PHX approach was saying “unable” constantly today. I heard more that one controller say they were working multiple sectors. Most of the controllers were friendly, but it definitely seems like some areas are getting pretty stressed.

Maybe it was an anomaly because there was some kind of event in Phoenix today. 

No, word is that PHX controllers are short staffed due to virus mitigation management.   Fortunately traffic is way down so they're coping.  The Scottsdale controllers have been telling people that, and also saying that they're at nearly full staff level in the tower there at SDL and so are mostly unaffected.   There was a short period of time a few weeks ago when Scottsdale was actually reverting to CTAF for twenty minutes at a time every few hours because they were understaffed and still had to meet their break requirements.   That only lasted for a few days, though.