Can't download from JPI EDM 700

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 1966 Mooney M20E.  In it, there is a JPI EDM 700 (STC SA2586NM).  The unit generally works great.  I want to download the data from it, however, and I'm having a problem with that.

I bought these two parts from Aircraft Spruce.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/jpiusbdownload.php
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/edmpcinterfacecable.php

I went to the plane to download data today and followed the instructions in the original owner's manual along with the instructions included in the USB download box.

When I turned on the master, the red light on the USB unit lights up.  When I put in the USB drive, the green light on the USB unit lights up.  When I hold STEP and LF together, the PROGRAM button comes on the JPI screen.  I STEP through each option but DUMP never appears.  

It seems as though the unit isn't detecting the card (and therefore not offering the DUMP option) but I don't know if the problem is with the JPI, the JPI EDM Data Port, the USB box, the Serial Cable, or something else.  The prior owner did tell me he never used the download capability so I don't know if it has ever worked or not - it at least hasn't been used in a very long time it seems!

Does anyone have any ideas to help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Matt Ward said:

Does anyone have any ideas to help me troubleshoot this?

You may want to call JPI tech support and ask them. Best to do it when you’re with the plane. They may be able to walk you through it. -800-345-4574. 

Do you have a computer with a serial port or can you get a USB- Serial converter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Prolific-Chipset-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW and verify it is working?

Download EZTrends from JPI and it can connect to a real or converted COM port. There are too many devices in the mix to make it easy to troubleshoot.  This problem gives me nightmares from my IT days dealing with serial label printers on warehouse machines...

Matt, couldn't tell from your description, but did you make sure you had the JPI EDM 700 fully up before connecting to it? If you have it connected to it before it boots up it won't recognize the connection. Also I am not sure about the 700's since those days are long over, but most of them pop up a download menu - ALL or New, as soon as it recognizes you are connected to it. That may not be the case with the 700 though.

• Like 1

Thanks @kortopates.  One of the bits of documentation suggested the JPI go through it's start-up test, then plug in my devices, and then the DUMP menu would automatically happen.  It didn't.  The same docs also said on power-on, the JPI would show the current time and date which doesn't happen either.  My plan is to try with a different laptop (one with serial) and see where there leads me...

Any ideas on how to test if the connector plug is good?  I thought about putting a multi-meter on it (somehow) but I wasn't sure of how or what I'd be looking for.

These are very popular units, so perhaps you might know of another local pilot on your field that has an older EDM 700 to try with the box? Many though were upgraded to USB - originally JPI charged $200 to replace the memory with a USB connection. Sorry but don't know how to test it but JPI will probably have some idea.

1) My JPI 700 is brand early 90s....

2) I use a JPI cable to connect it to a port...

3) The port looks like a headphone jack... mounted in my panel...

4) The next JPI cable fits in that headset port... and has an RS232 plug on the end...

5) Things get immediately fuzzy from there.... except JPI has that answer too... they have a device for that...

6) The device connects to some port on your your PC...

7) Getting ready for the next step requires EZtrends app from JPI... down load it for free from their internet site...

8) Shop for all the wires and device at JPI...

9) If you are technically ept.... it can be done for pennies on the dollar...

10) I was the opposite of technically ept.... I am challenged by the print screen button... but, even I got it to work...

11) my set up is dedicated to the one job it does...

12) Some kid in my house went to high school years ago...and tossed out this perfectly good laptop... the key span thing is what does the magic... a power cord and a USB cord are the whole thing... the other wires and plugs are in the plane...

13) The USB solution that was referenced by the OP... that is really new tech and may be able to eliminate the PC... it was originally used to plug into the USB port on more modern JPIs...

14) Talking with JPI is the best way to go... expect these details to get you more than half way there...

15) If not, having a kids toss away laptop is pretty FP good for supporting a 90s airplane... :)

16) for comparison... loading a database into the KLN90B is 10X harder than getting all of your data out of your JPI...  

17) I didn’t brick the JPI... the KLN90B and I will never be friends again...

PP thoughts only, not an electrical data genius...

Best regards,

-a-

E4705E61-4E77-4C73-AD0E-17B72ACFCFEE.jpeg

• Like 1

So a quick update: I found an old laptop.  It's got a serial port.  It's also got Windows 10 on it.  So far, no luck installing either EZTrends or EZSave.  It's a 32 bit machine.  Anyone gotten those programs to work on Windows 10?

My experience with the USB download box is recent, last week. I hadntried the instructions as written, and never could get it to work. My problem was different than yours; I could go through all the steps. The JPI700 would count down to zero like it was downloading, but there were no data on the thumb drive.  (The clue was that the green light was not flashing during the download.)  However, I was always able to get to the “Dump” command on the 700. The following is what I do, and it is contrary to a poster above, and JPI’s instructions.  Anyway...

Insert thumb drive into the USB box, plug the box into the data port, plug the cigarette lighter plug into the plane, and THEN turn on the power and fire up the JPI. You should see both lights on the USB box “on.” Follow the “button pushes” on the JPI outlined on the Instruction Sheet to get to the “Dump” command . I’d select “All” for the first time.  The green light will flash and the JPI700 will count down to zero. Give it 10 secs or so to close the data file before shutting everything down. Good luck. 

Tried that...no luck...thanks though.

One minor update: I was able to get EzSave installed on Windows 10.  I had to go to the Microsoft site, install DOTNETFX35.EXE manually, then run the EzSave installer and it installed ok.  EzTrends won't install still but that's not my problem.  It appears EzSave is the key to interfacing with the JPI.

Which brings me to my bigger problem: what I thought was a Serial port was actually a VGA port.

Just found this from JPI in a random bit of documentation: "Check your downloading port on the panel. Center pin should have a negative -7v to -9v."

Any idea how to do that?  I do have a multimeter but I'm not sure exactly what I am testing, as in 1) what do I select on the multimeter?, 2) does it matter if I use the red or black lead on the center pin, 3) where does the other lead go - a screw on the door or something, and 4) does the JPI simply need to be on (ie, master on) to do this test?

1) Selecting the V on the multimeter should pretty much get the device to read in volts...

2) there will be something to select for AC vs DC... you are looking for DC...

3) There may be a selection for range as well... 0-10, or 0-100.... etc.

4) It will be incredibly important to know which color wire you are using... what if it were purple...? :)

5) Done properly, the gauge will read 7v....

6) done backwards... the gauge will read -7v...

7) flip the wires around, the sign will change...

8) The fun thing about reading voltage.... it is difficult to mess it up...

9) Test your skills on a known source...the cigarette lighter should show 12v... (more or less)

10) remember your basic electrical safety challenges... don’t let the smoke out...or electrocute yourself...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

The saga continues, in case anyone is following along.  I tried a Tripp Lite USB Serial Adapter today, still no luck.  I also put a multimeter on the plug and got a +-7 V reading, as I should, but it was very finicky.  I'm not wondering if the problem is actually a bad data port.  Unfortunately, JPI doesn't seem to publish that part number, so I'm trying to find out if MS knows it, here: 

• Like 1

Update: Problem Solved!  I went back today and tried one last ditch.  I used contact cleaner on the port but I don't think that matter.  I found a setting deep in the "FAC LIM" settings box that says "RCRD".  The manual describes this as whether or not the JPI will record data or just output it in realtime to the data port.  Anyways, mine was set to "N".  I flipped that to "Y" and now in PRGRM I have an option for DUMP.  So I can get my data off the device now.  I'm using the USB Magic Box which seems to work great.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Matt Ward said:

Update: Problem Solved!  I went back today and tried one last ditch.  I used contact cleaner on the port but I don't think that matter.  I found a setting deep in the "FAC LIM" settings box that says "RCRD".  The manual describes this as whether or not the JPI will record data or just output it in realtime to the data port.  Anyways, mine was set to "N".  I flipped that to "Y" and now in PRGRM I have an option for DUMP.  So I can get my data off the device now.  I'm using the USB Magic Box which seems to work great.

final test...

Download the data... onto your PC...

Upload the data to savvy...

Find the share data button on savvy....

Post link here...

If anyone sees your data...

You get an A!

That’s as good as it gets.

Best regards,

-a-