Century 41 porpoising

A few flight hours ago, my Century 41 AP started acting up - it'd porpoise if I hit ALT mode before stabilizing after climb/descent. Fine. I thought it was just a matter of not abusing the system - so I started leveling off first, then hitting ALT. No problem - super smooth sailing. Now the past 2 flights, there's nothing I can do to stop it from porpoising. And it gets pretty violent so I have to turn it off after 2 - 3 cycles. I can tell it's having a delayed reaction - it'll be pointing the nose down, starts picking up speed and pitch up, then rolls the trim up (and vice-versa).

Has anyone here had a similar issue? Was it an easy fix (reprogram/calibrate the unit) or something more complicated. I just had the Attitude Gyro overhauled a few months ago because it had an issue.. hope it's not it again.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a typical challenge for servos with clutches... the clutches wear continuously...

They get to a point where they misbehave... slipping clutches cause the system to not know what it is doing...

Strange behavior follows...

PP thoughts regarding some servo motors, not particular towards, Century APs...

What model number Servo do you have, when was it OH’d last, and who does the OHing... typical questions to follow-up...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, N231BN said:

Turn off the electric trim switch in level flight and see what the AP does. My trim constantly hunts up and down so that is my SOP once in cruise. It does not porpoise though.

I'll try that

Also, try lubing the control shaft.  People have had porpoise problems with other autopilots recently that were caused by just a tiny “sticky” spot in the elevator control which were resolved with LPS 2 or similar.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragsf15e said:

Also, try lubing the control shaft.  People have had porpoise problems with other autopilots recently that were caused by just a tiny “sticky” spot in the elevator control which were resolved with LPS 2 or similar.

Ha - that's what I was hoping to hear. When I was pre-flighting today I felt the elevators were a little 'sticky' as you put it. Didn't connect the dots - but that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. I'll try lubing it up tomorrow while rationally trying not to be too optimistic :-)

• Like 2

Lubing the controls has a great affect...

Keep in mind there are many plastic guides that the tubes go through...

Fortunately... the elevator is pretty easy to access a lot of the parts...

ailerons would cause going out into the wings to inspect, clean, lubricate...

Might be a good idea to check out the MM for where any guides or bearings may be hiding...

The better hidden they are... the more likely they have been missed....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a- 

• Like 1