Mr Miyagi was on to something....

I’ve spent collectively 7 hours now, cutting, waxing and polishing the top half of my 74F. 
The paint is original, and was actually rough to the touch before I started. As time is limited with family, work and everything else, a couple hours here and there were all I could muster. 
Started with the tail, just to get the hang of a smaller area, then worked my way onto the fuselage, upper cowl and finally the wings. 
After finishing the top section (the top “half” of the plane is done. Still need to creep around and do the bottom), it was time for a flight. 
A night flight in calm skies were making me feel as if I was imagining things. Was I REALLY getting that much airspeed? Must be a tail wind. 
After a few night landings to stay current, I decided to climb up to 10k, set the MP to 20” and the RPM to 2600. 
Triangulated three headings. 
Result was an average speed that was 6 kts faster than usual! 
6 kts??? Because of a wax? 
I think I need to find me a karate student. 

5278ED63-C710-4AE7-ABA6-40B20CF6BED5.jpeg

• Like 5

That’s quite an impressive speed gain.  There’s a bit more to gain with the OAT probe on the windshield, the old ADF antenna base and what is the third antenna on the top?

Clarence

13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

It’s not true....

you don’t actually turn the plane upside down to wax the bottom side...

:)

-a-

A5E972D4-537B-45AC-9A48-968D9CC549FD.jpeg

I’ve literally given up trying to figure out why some photos go sideways and others do not. 

30 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:
6 hours ago, GLJA said:

Result was an average speed that was 6 kts faster than usual! 
6 kts??? Because of a wax? 
I think I need to find me a karate student. 

Okay, we’re going to need that name of that wax...:P

Here’s what I ordered and used. 
started with F9

Then G6

A

and final was S

65F4C9E1-8546-44CB-A491-64F69ADE161D.jpeg

OK, the only thing missing is a "before" picture...  FWIW, I'm in the process of collecting the bits and pieces to do mine; so far I have a gallon of kerosene and acetone, Meguiars NXT Car Wash and Tech Wax, some Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and a couple buckets full of various mitts, sponges and microfiber rags...

Even an old workhorse with bad paint shines up pretty decent with basic products from the auto parts store.  All it cost me was a few bucks and a lifetime supply of ibuprofen for my sore shoulders and forearms. :lol:  Haven't flown it yet, will hope for good results like GLGA!

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

• Like 2