Garmin 530 squelch stuck ?

I’ve noticed on my last couple of flights were I’m getting a lot of white noise on frequency. The RX indicator was on. Tried pushing the volume or squelch button and made no difference. Switched to my KX155 to see if it was just that frequency and it was normal. Put up with the noise for about 75 miles, then it went away. Again turned auto squelch on and off and worked as advertised. Suggest? Thanks!

I have a 430 and have had similar happen (And, my KX155 was fine).  With the RX light on I think the auto squelch thinks there's something there. I really preferred manual squelch for those situations; you get to pick the cut-off level.  The fact that it went away after 75 miles tends to support that a weak, but inaudible, signal was tripping the squelch circuit.

It will be interesting to see if others report the same experience.

It probably just means something is radiating enough energy to break the squelch level in the receiver.   It could be something near or far or even internal in the radio if it is aging.   If it starts to do it more often, try turning various devices off one at a time to see if it goes away.   Portable devices or lighter socket power adapters are a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The squelch can be adjusted in the setup menus.

Yuup. BTDT. Pain in the ass, and not something you'd be happy about doing 'on the fly.':(  Would have made sense to design the volume/squelch knob on the 430/530 such that BOTH were variable.  What a concept...but, I'm sure that would have added $5 in cost.

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm....

Some JPIs have been known to be the source of that noise...

You may ask Marauder about a filter he put on his JPI to fix it...

Its been a while...

PP thoughts only, my memory isn’t that good...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1