Garmin Aera 760

16 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Problem with it over on the right is it’s tough to reach, the 660 in the left stack is much easier.

I agree it’d be much easier on the left. But I also think with its larger screen, all its connectivity flexibility and on an angled mount would work well on the right. 
 But my question is, and aside from the obvious and compelling hardware differences, how really would it differ from Garmin Pilot on an ipad in my panel. Consisting of GTN750, GTX345R, FS510. I really need to compare feature by feature to see if there are real and significant differences. My initial impression is they are mainly hardware differences being clearly superior and ”aviation grade” as they say, with only minor software differences.

Expect fancy capabilities like...

pinch zoom, double taps, pressure sensitivity, super HD screens of iPads....  

may not directly translate to the super reliable Garmin hardware...

Side by side comparison will be interesting... expect to be impressed...

PP thoughts only, not an Apple or Garmin employee...

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, McMooney said:

hmm, is this why the android version of gp lags behind the apple?  just sayin.

even with the few missing features, still like android gp better than the apple gp

So the Garmin 760 that's developed in Kansas is the reason that the group that's located several states away that works on the Garmin Pilot app doesn't have as many features for the Android version as they do for the Apple version?

Everyone likes a good conspiracy theory now and then, but could it possibly be that Garmin Pilot has more users on iOS than on Android?  just sayin.

I have no clue, but that seems just as likely.

13 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Everyone likes a good conspiracy theory now and then, but could it possibly be that Garmin Pilot has more users on iOS than on Android?  just sayin.

Well - thats a chicken and egg reason - one that is probably true.

But I have an iPad dedicated to live full time in my airplane, and it is an iPad instead of an android specifically because iOS version of pilot is much better than the android version,  If it were the other way - I would buy an android.  I bet there are a few others like me on that position.

22 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

But I have an iPad dedicated to live full time in my airplane, and it is an iPad instead of an android specifically because iOS version of pilot is much better than the android version,  If it were the other way - I would buy an android.  I bet there are a few others like me on that position.

Could be Foreflight users (which is all iOS) migrating over to Garmin Pilot if their panels are all Garmin for the database concierge, etc.

6 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Could be Foreflight users (which is all iOS) migrating over to Garmin Pilot if their panels are all Garmin for the database concierge, etc.

...actually its firelight that got me onto iPad in the first place.  I bought my first iPad to use firelight - and I like foreflight but then I moved over to garmin pilot a few yers ago.

Either way, when it comes to efb, the software drove the hardware choice for me.

32 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I have both, i run an ipad mini5 and a samsung galaxy tab s6. 

the versions aren't actually that far apart anymore, from what i notice, android is mostly missing the new approach/arrival/dep features.  also the vertical airspace depiction.

Menu navigation is better in the android version.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, here is the response I got from Garmin on the iOS vs Android topic:

"As one of the only providers of an electronic flight bag to the Android community we are always trying to make it more comparable to iOS.  The challenge comes in making a program work across all the different manufacturers with the use of different hardware.  Since iOS has a fairly standard build across all units there is a lot more inherent consistency with the way we can program.  If these features are critical to you I would recommend the purchase of an iPad in order to get all these features with the use of Garmin Pilot 10 in iOS.  The Android version on your existing devices could provide for a useful backup and situational awareness."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toto said:

For what it's worth, here is the response I got from Garmin on the iOS vs Android topic:

"As one of the only providers of an electronic flight bag to the Android community we are always trying to make it more comparable to iOS.  The challenge comes in making a program work across all the different manufacturers with the use of different hardware.  Since iOS has a fairly standard build across all units there is a lot more inherent consistency with the way we can program.  If these features are critical to you I would recommend the purchase of an iPad in order to get all these features with the use of Garmin Pilot 10 in iOS.  The Android version on your existing devices could provide for a useful backup and situational awareness."

I can appreciate the differences in the iOS to the multiple versions of Android and the untold configurations of hardware, but one of the "only" providers?

Droid EFB
iFlyGPS
Avare (Free)
FltPlan Go (Free)

3 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I can appreciate the differences in the iOS to the multiple versions of Android and the untold configurations of hardware, but one of the "only" providers?

Droid EFB
iFlyGPS
Avare (Free)
FltPlan Go (Free)

Yep, there are a lot of aviation apps for Android, and the feature sets vary widely. I didn't want to get into a debate with him - I actually really appreciated him taking to time to write a candid reaponse, and I think that what he said is certainly reasonable. (Even though I'm a CB and I feel like GP should cost less if it takes more than two years to get feature parity with the iOS version.)

I'm a huge fan of Avare - I think it's great - but it definitely has less functionality than GP. And WingX should always be in the conversation if you're taking about Android EFBs, but the WingX features also trail their iOS features by a fair amount. 

For my hardware (GTX345), there are only two EFB apps that run on Android, and both are now Garmin products: GP and FltPlan Go. Everything else requires me to lose ADS-B support or buy a portable ADS-B receiver just for the tablet display. Ugh. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

With 100+ degree temperatures in Texas I am trying out a Garmin Aera 760 that i bought. I haven't had my iPad Mini 6 overheat but he temp inside the cabin is pretty hot. So far just a couple short flights, but I like it.

Question for any Mooney owners with the G1000 - have any of you hardwired the Aera 760 to your GIA-63 or GIA-63W so that G1000 flight plans transfer to the Aera 760?

On 5/2/2020 at 11:11 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Only if you panel mount it does the AHARS work.

It’s not real AHRS.  It says attitude  not available until you reach 70kt.  When I called into garmin ro complain I got some dude who listened to me rant about it then hung up on me.  
it’s a great box but “built in  AHRS” is a lie. 

8 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Never thought about this.  I'm sure this will jinx mine, but neither of my Minis has ever crashed.

It’s possible that apps get fatter and fatter over time…

They update automatically (when set to do that)

After a couple of years… the iPad can’t keep up.

Especially if the iPad has stopped taking updates to the IOS system…

I saw an ad for the iPad, one version newer than my current one…. Nicely discounted…

The newest iPads must be getting ready to come out again…

The latest IOS for phones just started rolling out this month….  iPad iOS will be coming next…

PP thoughts only, not an iGuru….

Bet regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Question for any Mooney owners with the G1000 - have any of you hardwired the Aera 760 to your GIA-63 or GIA-63W so that G1000 flight plans transfer to the Aera 760?

Yes, to a GTN650 and it works extremely well for routes and approaches. I would assume it would work with the G1000 but doesn’t work with “aviation out.” I forget the name of the new protocol. If the G1000 has that protocol I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Peter