Garmin Aera 760

Ten years ago I bought an iFly 700. Then a 720.  Still have and use it. The biggest drawback is the screen size. I can display an approach plate entirely, but too small for my old eyes to read.  Or I can display part of the approach and it be readable.  When I go somewhere, I print the likely approaches that will be used just so I don't have to futz around with the thing.  I really need to buy an iPad sized appropriately to display an approach.  Got kind of excited when I saw the Garmin 760 introduction.  That will play well with the new radio...uh oh.  It has the same 7" diagonal screen as the 720.  Gonna be an iPad.

8 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The 660 fits in the radio stack perfectly, if this doesn’t then they might to keep making the 660.

Physical dimensions:7.29”W x 4.85”H x 0.91”D 
Standard width of panel boxes is 6.25”. This will fit nicely in the panel in landscape orientation if the 7.29” height dimension is available.

8 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Looks like Garmin updated the 660. I like the larger screen and it appears to have the flight stream ability to push flight plans to a 430w box. This might be the box I’ve been waiting for...although I was planning on a $1k 660 replacement not $1.6k. 

Garmin 760

Four years ago the Aera 660 replaced the Aera 500, 510, 550 and 560. The 660 is still in production.

The Aera 760 is to replace the Aera 796 which has been out 8 years. Garmin has had two sizes of portables for a long time going back to the 696 (large) and 496 (smaller) which were sold at the same time.

I saw it too. I like it. One draw back of the iPad is the cockpit brightness and the glare. I believe the advantage of the 760 would be mainly the brightness and readability on direct light.

Also, I am not sure how the unit will interact with the flightstream 510. It seems it will be able to interact fully. If so I may replace my mini iPad

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Looks like Garmin updated the 660. I like the larger screen and it appears to have the flight stream ability to push flight plans to a 430w box. This might be the box I’ve been waiting for...although I was planning on a $1k 660 replacement not $1.6k. 

Garmin 760

Garmin is master of knowing the price point hurt-where they are just that much more expensive to put the hurt on but you might just do it anyway,

I like that this new thing has an AHARS built into it.

But they never seem to be making exactly exactly what I want so I keep not buying.  I would want a Garmin 660 with a built in AHARS to panel mount above my Garmin 650tn, and the 660 is the right size for that.  I don't like that it needs a blue tooth connection to another device to have AHARS since that connection can sometimes be wonky.  Otherwise I do like the idea of that display allowing for SVT, as sort of a backup or otherwise as something nice to look at - only if the connection is rock solid.  So I would jump on that if they come out with it - a 660 with an AHARS included.

I have a aera 510 still, semi-mounted below my stack and above the throttle quadrant, and I am keeping that 510 indefinitely for now because of one major factor.  I receive XM weather on it, but its marine weather I subscribed to which is only $10/month - cb style.  I am not sure I would be able to use marine weather on a 660.  Marine is quite sufficient for me since it gives nexrad and also all the TAFs, and anyway it is a backup to the ADSB weather I also get.  So the 510 is staying.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That's what I am thinking about.  But its too big.  I want a 660 with AHARS built in.  When they come out with that, I will buy.

I think the 760 (and 660) really shines when connected to a gdl 50r or 52r. Those adsb (and sxm) units have a built in AHARS that would be hardwired to the 760. I don’t see any reason why the 52r would not be able to use the marine weather subscription. 

If I purchase one it will be a panel mount unit and my iPad mini will remain on the yoke. Below is the inspiration for my future panel. Planning on using a Sandia 340, Aspen Pro, Aera 760 (w/gdl50r), and JPI 830 from left to right... hopefully all flush mounted. 7E3A1C19-306B-4049-8308-09AE2A78410D.thumb.jpeg.4b01c663fa55440932952a9e23b23bed.jpeg

Edited by MIm20c

48 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I think the 760 (and 660) really shines when connected to a gdl 50r or 52r. Those adsb (and sxm) units have a built in AHARS that would be hardwired to the 760. I don’t see any reason why the 52r would not be able to use the marine weather subscription. 

If I purchase one it will be a panel mount unit and my iPad mini will remain on the yoke. Below is the inspiration for my future panel. Planning on using a Sandia 340, Aspen Pro, Aera 760 (w/gdl50r), and JPI 830 from left to right... hopefully all flush mounted. 7E3A1C19-306B-4049-8308-09AE2A78410D.thumb.jpeg.4b01c663fa55440932952a9e23b23bed.jpeg

Huh - I didn’t know the 52 or 52 hardwired to a 660.   Now I am interested.

whatever I would do it would be panel mount since I am very happy to keep my iPad on the yoke for plates and charts.

my worry re Xm is that the 510 is also sold as a marine unit so xm cant tell how I’m using it.  Isn’t the 660 aviation specific?  If so xm might refuse to sell a marine subscription.  Otherwise a 660 could go where to replace my 510.  But I’m thinking of A 660 in addition to my 510.  But no xm on the 660.  Just adsb.  Currently I’m using an old gdl3d

Edited by aviatoreb

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I like it.  I’ve been waiting for an update to the 796.   
After Garmin ships a few thousand I’ll buy one for the copilot panel which is ready to receive it:  B75FAAE6-C17F-41AD-81B5-DEA68C5EC2AC.thumb.jpeg.a57f738e7a5d98ae645a5d9ec411421e.jpeg

Dang you could install an expression maker in that big space.  Does Garmin make an express machine?

Espresso.....

Siri likes it when you use an S....

She botches the spelling intentionally when you use an X...  very chic....

:)

Siri and Mrs. Garmin are not friends, and haven’t been for a while...

Mrs. G has been better at reliability over time... My iPads seem to crash more often until replacement...

Fortunately, iPad prices continue to descend... Big G portables have been in the 1-2amu range for 20years...

Panel mounting a big G portable makes a lot of sense for many MSers... connected, battery back-up, weather and traffic display, or just another chart display...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I like it.  I’ve been waiting for an update to the 796.   
After Garmin ships a few thousand I’ll buy one for the copilot panel which is ready to receive it:  B75FAAE6-C17F-41AD-81B5-DEA68C5EC2AC.thumb.jpeg.a57f738e7a5d98ae645a5d9ec411421e.jpeg

Me too!

9345A04A-F0C0-4C94-B4F0-FD43B6EA6412.png

8 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

That will play well with the new radio...uh oh.  It has the same 7" diagonal screen as the 720.  Gonna be an iPad.

Doesn't necessarily have to be.  I use the 796 as my primary display of charts.  Just use pinch zoom to expand any part of the chart.

Problem with it over on the right is it’s tough to reach, the 660 in the left stack is much easier.

26e5e8629d830d0da4b0284b55a9009a.jpg

Tom

Indeed, I have my 796 on the right hand side of the panel and I hardly use it more than as a back up.

89a14cdb16633fe2cf1df18a09f19074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Used as a dedicated traffic screen or as copilot “instruments” for passengers I think it would work great on the right. For me having it directly beside the aspen acting as the main mfd would make it highly utilized. Was considering a g3x to go with my aspen but this would be far cheaper although not able to replace my engine gauges.  Still not totally clear if it will completely replace the need for buying a fs210 to interface with my 430w...the 660 will only download to Garmin Pilot. I want the ability to upload and download from ForeFlight. 

7 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I don’t see any reason why the 52r would not be able to use the marine weather subscription. 

The only aviation xm receivers that can use the XM Marine subscription are the GXM30 and GXM40 antennas hooked up to a 396 or 496. Some people have been able to get the GXM40 with a Marine subscription to work with Aera 500 series. Others have been able to get the GDL69 to use an XM Marine Subscription,

The GXM 42 antennas and the GDL 50 series have their own subscriptions - all Sirius Xm aviation.

33 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The only aviation xm receivers that can use the XM Marine subscription are the GXM30 and GXM40 antennas hooked up to a 396 or 496. Some people have been able to get the GXM40 with a Marine subscription to work with Aera 500 series. Others have been able to get the GDL69 to use an XM Marine Subscription,

The GXM 42 antennas and the GDL 50 series have their own subscriptions - all Sirius Xm aviation.

Yeah marine works with my aera 510 and it’s the perfect inexpensive back up since I more so use adsb weather on my iPad / but I don’t always seem to get it in rural flying.  This is the primary reason I still have my 510 vs having upgraded to 660 at least 2 yrs ago.

i just went to the hangar today.  And checked.  I just don’t have space for a 660 and my 510 both and I’m keeping my 510.  I definitely don’t have panel space for a 760 and on the yoke I quite like my iPad which has served me flawlessly with Garmin pilot. So after a moment of excitement / ill pass for now.

Edited by aviatoreb

I think I would still opt for an iPad instead. Much more versatile, update-able, and cheaper and can connect to most of the new GPS units to give you the info you need in flight. I know not a direct comparison and depends on what your doing. 

73774109-AB5D-4488-A0AC-F160FE8FBE75.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1