Need to buy a new directional gyro (1966 M20E)

My 21 year old DG has died.  Actually, the spring broke in the heading dial but I figure it's time to replace it before the bearings go out and so forth.  The part number I have in the plane is 1U262-001-7.  It's  basic vacuum driven DG with no heading bug.  This is the first instrument I've had to replace in the plane (1966 M20E) and could use any advice on how to do it most efficiently.  I don't think I want to buy a new one.  I don't really know how to navigate the salvage market.  What's my best bet?  And do I have to replace with the same part number?  I assume I could replace with a compatible one but I'm not sure how to identify what's compatible.  Thanks in advance for any guidance!

4 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

Check our flyaqi.com. I've had a few overhauled there. They do sale, exchange, and overhaul very affordably and have stood by their warranty no questions asked for me.

Thanks, I reached out.  I also heard about Century Instruments (in Wichita too) that does this work.

Find the instrument panels around here that are shedding parts...

All those G5s  and Aspens have some extra related parts...

See what is on the shelf in Alan’s shop...

All the knowns are better than the unknowns...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.  I guess that leads me to a more general question more about the efficacy of idea of buying so called serviceable parts (from ebay, a panel upgrade, etc) vs. having my part repaired/overhauled.  With this particular part, there are used ones on Ebay for ~$300, whereas an overhaul may run closer to ~$400.  So not a huge difference but I was assuming the OH approach would be a better long term approach but maybe not.  What do you think about when to go Ebay vs. going repair?  Timing is not a factor in this case.

Ebay without a ‘yellow tag’ is an unknown... how long it could last is unknown with it...

OH... should be good to last a long time... as if it got its clock reset to zero...

Gyros typically suffer from bearing wear and dirt build up....

How many thousand hours are on the affected gyro?

Perfect time to consider alternatives like an HSI...  really good if you fly IFR...

G5s, Aspens, and other things come to mind... but the costs go over AMU level...

Do you have an AP connected to it?

PP thoughts only, not an instrument tech...

Best regards,

-a-

The broken DG had 2400 hours over 21 years. Right now I have two CDI each with GS plus this DG. The HSI isn’t a huge benefit to me. I did my IR in a plane with one and never really found it all that more helpful than a DG and CDI. And the panel space is already taken...

Not ready for that much glass! I considered a pair of G5’s but at roughly $9k all in it doesn’t make a lot of sense for me. In my mind, IFR is good for getting out and in, but I mainly opt to wait it out.  And the vacuum system risk is something I am comfortable with given my Sentry and 430 if I got in a real bind. 

Best bet...

Sounds like a visit to the local instrument shop to get the spring replaced...

But don’t look around while in there...

There could be some really colorful displays marked Dynon on the wall...

Its a distraction test...   

:)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Matt Ward said:

With this particular part, there are used ones on Ebay for ~$300, whereas an overhaul may run closer to ~$400.

If the delta is only 100$ I’d go the overhaul route.

• Like 1

I'd been watching 52D67 pitch-and-roll autopilot attitude indicators on ebay for a long time to try to find one to do some diagnostics on my autopilot.   Prices were always really high, even for crap old units.   Since quarantine started whoever was buying all of them must have stopped because prices have plummeted.     I picked up a servicable unit for $200, and there were several to pick from at that price.   A couple months ago it would have been $600-$700.

So getting an inexpensive unit on ebay may be especially possible these days. 

• Like 1