S-Tec 50 w/out electric trim and Aspen looking for new A/P - suggestions?

A good friend who flies a '76 F model is having some autopilot issues. The plane is a recent purchase, has a GNS 430W, Aspen 2000, GMA 340, GTX 335, and the S-Tec 50 which does not have electric trim. His two previous Mooneys had A/P problems to the tune of $10-15AMU between them to fix them, so he is somewhat reluctant to put a lot of money into an older A/P. An avionics shop is wanting him to go 55x to replace the 50, but I think he is reluctant to spend the $15AMU + install costs on what is essentially an older technology A/P.

He tends to fly between 150-200 hours a year, has over 1,200 hours and does a lot of flying in IMC. Is a competent, current IFR pilot and wants something he can trust on approaches where he may have to go to mins. 

What autopilots are/will be available for him to put in his F in the coming 12 months? He is not opposed to adding a G5 to talk to the GFC 500 when it is available for the F, but does it play at all with the Aspen? Without requiring a major panel upgrade, does anyone have any other thoughts on what he should consider?

Thanks.

The STEC 50 is very repairable for WAY less money than any other option out there.  A "standard" overhaul of the main box was about $850 for me 2 years ago.  Servo issues can be a bit more, but that would occur if he upgraded to the 55X.

So the big question is, what's wrong with his STEC 50?

It sounds like his avionics shop is much more interested in selling new stuff because it's a lot more money in their pockets, rather than repairs which will take a bunch of hours that they'd rather put into new installations where they can sell pricy components.

My suggestion is to fix what he's got for now, and plan on his major upgrade within the next 2 years when more stuff is available and he'll have more time to research his options.

• Like 3

The 3100 would be nice, especially if they overhauled my current servos as part of the package price.  However, I find the 50 usable and a huge step up from a wing leveler. With his aspen he should have gpss which is really nice to lower the workload. 

• Like 2

You said "The 3100 would be nice" with emphasis on "would" correct.  As far as I know the 3100 is not yet approved for our Mooney's at least not the "E" and the reps at Airventure 2019 told me that they had pushed Mooney down on the list.  I have a Stec  60-2 that I know I would be very happy with if I could find an avionics shop that was actually willing to work on it's quirks, and not just go through the motions and tell me all is working perfectly while handing me another bill for two or three AMUs.  It's happened to me 3 times now, and I just use it as is.  I have a new panel with a IFD 550 and seperate Genesis GPSS driving it.  If I could just buy the 3100 and have it installed it would be a no brainer.

Anyone have any other digital upgrade suggestions or otherwise??

Mooney (short, mid, and long) were in line but couldn’t get the necessary 15? systems ordered. They kicked us to the back of the line. At that time it appeared they would only cover servo overhauls if they checked out fine during the install and failed within a few years. Now from other reports they are overhauling older ones during the install as part of the upgrade cost. I would have put an order in if I knew that...

36 minutes ago, Mark942 said:

You said "The 3100 would be nice" with emphasis on "would" correct.  As far as I know the 3100 is not yet approved for our Mooney's at least not the "E" and the reps at Airventure 2019 told me that they had pushed Mooney down on the list.  I have a Stec  60-2 that I know I would be very happy with if I could find an avionics shop that was actually willing to work on it's quirks, and not just go through the motions and tell me all is working perfectly while handing me another bill for two or three AMUs.  It's happened to me 3 times now, and I just use it as is.  I have a new panel with a IFD 550 and seperate Genesis GPSS driving it.  If I could just buy the 3100 and have it installed it would be a no brainer.

Anyone have any other digital upgrade suggestions or otherwise??

Bob Weber is the autopilot whisperer. Most of the diagnosis is done with you over the phone. It may be worth a phone call,. (616) 822-1999

@Bob Weber

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lance Thank You!

I saw this earlier.

This is a good example of "stepping into" a final dream suite.

I look at an avionics package as three separate systems that are critically reliant on each other.

Navigation/Communication, Flight instrumentation, and ultimately, Autoflight.

The marriage of the final suite should be very much in mind.

It can be made more difficult to continue a "peaceful" marriage with multiple manufacturers software.

I would look toward two GI 275's, GFC 600, and run that 430W to feed them until upgraded as a final step.

This being said, I can make that system 50 work again, an evaluation will give us an idea of the cost.

The Aspen is a formidable  piece that should have good value on the used market, and will make a good trade in toward the 275's.

I will be available tomorrow before 11am if you would like to get some preliminary questions out of the way.

Bob Weber 616 822 1999 8am-8pm eastern

webairconsulting.com

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bob Weber said:

I would look toward two GI 275's, GFC 600, and run that 430W to feed them until upgraded as a final step.

Bob is very knowledgeable about all things AP and located a close 45 mins from me. However, I’m going to disagree with the above recommendation. Upgrade a two screen aspen unit to a txi or g3x? Yes.  Upgrade to a Dynon? Maybe. But making the very expensive lateral (imo downgrade) to two small screen 275’s would be a little crazy.  Also waiting for the gfc600 to be certified for any type of Mooney plane might be a long wait. 

• Like 4

I fly a baron with 55x and it is ok, but I’m not at all impressed with APP mode. If there is any wind at all, it goes pretty far off course. I always hand fly it for that reason.  If I start an approach using it and it goes off course,(which it always does) I say, “ this thing sucks “ and I hit the red button and fly the plane.     Meanwhile, the Brittain autopilot in my mooney is always dead on center.   Way more precise.   I would never invest in anything Stec due to price, performance, and their stc policy.  

Your friend would be better off to repair or wait on gfc

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 2