Has Harrison Crossed The Line ?

44 minutes ago, toto said:

Ha. Yep, the Daily Mail says it's him from 2010. Nice that someone else's Mooney features prominently (as well as, presumably, HF's MG).

Thanks Toto.

Because the Daily Mail is such a trash news outlet, I didn't bother to click the link.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:02 AM, jlunseth said:

That is pretty hard to do if you have GPS. But even the big iron has done it, a Delta jet put down at Ellsworth AFB instead of KRAP.  They are very close together and you see Ellsworth first coming from the east, easy mistake to make if you are not familiar.

Haha.. reminds me of the time I was landing KSFF but had KGEG on my sights - luckily caught the mistake a couple of miles out from KSFF (approaching from the east).

I won’t comment on anyone’s piloting ability , I’m not there and don’t have all the details .  That being said everyone has made mistakes not matter what you’re doing.  The idea is to learn from so you don’t do it again . Unfortunately in aviation like many other activities, mistakes can cause deadly consequences. Glad no one was hurt and I hope Mr Ford is competent to continue flying safely .

Concerning the news media, there is no such thing as journalism anymore , everything reported is sensationalized and the editorialized to build viewers, readers or to push an agenda. 

we should be sipping Juleps today and oggling beautiful women in  big hats .

• Like 3

My mom got on HF bandwagon saying he should be stripped of his license yada yada.   I told her that he should.  

1) be treated like anyone else, nothing different because he’s famous   

2) if the FAA gets involved he should be treated like anyone else, nothing different because he’s famous. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

“landing in a golf course with no engine and no clearance 

Shame on him...... such a rebel !! :lol:

"You're cleared for landing on the 18th Fairway, you're following a Club Car golf cart on short final. Please keep up your speed"

• Haha 2

I won’t comment on anyone’s piloting ability , I’m not there and don’t have all the details .  That being said everyone has made mistakes not matter what you’re doing.  The idea is to learn from so you don’t do it again . Unfortunately in aviation like many other activities, mistakes can cause deadly consequences. Glad no one was hurt and I hope Mr Ford is competent to continue flying safely .
Concerning the news media, there is no such thing as journalism anymore , everything reported is sensationalized and the editorialized to build viewers, readers or to push an agenda. 
we should be sipping Juleps today and oggling beautiful women in  big hats .

I heard the ATC tape the other day. Obviously, he did not get the instruction right. He read it back while he was moving (wrong read back and may be he should have waited a moment before applying power) and they told him to stop. He stopped and apologized.

Does it make him a better or worse pilot? No, he committed a mistake! Like we all did.

About two years ago I was flying close to Baltimore and heard a transmisión that I thought was for me. I read it back and started descending immediately.

Well it was for somebody else...FAA had me call them, they went over the tape and admitted that they should have caught it when I read it back. Case closed. Do I feel like a better or worse pilot? No, I just try to pay more attention now. Will it happen again, possibly...

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

FAA had me call them, they went over the tape and admitted that they should have caught it when I read it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s important to note that the controller not catching an erroneous read-back does NOT absolve the pilot of anything. We can still get violated, even if we read back the instruction wrong and were not corrected. This underscores the importance of using correct phraseology, to lessen the risk of getting the instruction wrong in the first place.

I listened to the full audio from LiveATC. The difficulty is that LiveATC is some guy with a radio and a link. It's neither what the Tower heard nor what the pilot heard. But listening to it, there are multiple instances suggesting there may have been a radio problem. Even one where Ford specifically tells the Tower the last communication was garbled. Add a bad radio with the use of the word "continue" (which is used in the sense of "go" throughout the ATC handbook), and you have a sound basis for an error.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N9201A said:

It’s important to note that the controller not catching an erroneous read-back does NOT absolve the pilot of anything. We can still get violated, even if we read back the instruction wrong and were not corrected. This underscores the importance of using correct phraseology, to lessen the risk of getting the instruction wrong in the first place.

This. And it was applied in one of the more notorious aviation legal cases. 

21 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

This. And it was applied in one of the more notorious aviation legal cases. 

Indeed, you are right, but in my particular case they decided not to pursue the issue, because there was an additional plane with a similar call sign on the same frequency. The controller had used the abreviated call sign. Additionally, no alarm was triggered. At least that is what the supervisor told me on the phone. 

• Like 1