Blue Angels AND Thunderbirds together over NYC

gsxrpilot

I would love to see those guys and gals in that joint branch formation show up at Oshkosh and get funneled into group parking right down the lane from the Mooneys.

Its funny because on the one hand my first reaction is omg, Air Force and navy together, wow it must be a serious crisis for those different branches to work together!  On the other hand, well, these are aviators, Americans, and military officers and so they have everything in common and clearly they are on the same side in any conflict, other than football games against the academies, so of course they go together, and this conflict against an invisible enemy is a great moment for them to lend some unity, cheer and pride  to rally the citizenry for their appearance over hard hit cities.

I used to teach at USNA about 20 years ago and I lived in Arnold, MD.  The Blue Angels would come every year for graduation for an air show.  The day before the graduation they would practice in pairs, in foursomes and then in full group, for several hours.  It was glorious they would be practicing like right above my little culdesac street at just a few hundred feet low enough I could see what color gumb the pilots were chewing.  Several hours of zoooOOOOOOOOMMMMM over the neighborhood with all the families sitting on their driveways on lawn chairs cheering.  Love those guys.

• Like 1

Now that's the way I like Tax dollars spent...Back in the mid to late 70's I was hours away from getting a ride with the Thunderbirds at the annual CAF (Confederate Air Force) Air Show in Harlingen. They were giving several rides a day (4 day event) and not real sure how got on the list, but earlier that morning someone had got their seat-belt loose and bounced around so the rest of the rides were canceled..40 some odd years later I still get pissed thinking about it...lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 10:10 PM, kerry said:

I didn't notice #7 of the Blue Angels.  The pilot of Blue Angel #7 is the son of colleague I've worked with in the past.  Sad I didn't see him flying with the Thunderbirds.. 

6 & 7 appear about halfway through, in the view from tail end charlie.

• Like 1