Landed SFO Today

Mooney217RN

Well, that was an experience.  I wonder when the last time was that a Mooney landed 28L at SFO?

the great news is you can do it.  However, if  you’re not on your game, especially with ATC, just don’t do it. 

If anyone knows how to get the archived ATC recordings at SFO from today around 2215Z, let me know.

Find @PilotFun101 ‘s video of a low pass down the runways of Newark’s international airport....

For a moment... They offered him a touch and go... but wasn’t in the plan...

+1 for being good with the controllers... there are still some pretty big planes in the air at the same time....

check out this site... Liveatc.com...find your airport...

Best regards,

-a-

31 minutes ago, Mooney217RN said:

Well, that was an experience.  I wonder when the last time was that a Mooney landed 28L at SFO?

the great news is you can do it.  However, if  you’re not on your game, especially with ATC, just don’t do it. 

If anyone knows how to get the archived ATC recordings at SFO from today around 2215Z, let me know.

You don't happen to have photos or a video of your unique experience?  :)

I think it's LiveATC.net, not .com... although there might be a .com too?  I'd never argue with @carusoam. :-)  Anyway, I listened to the tower for a while but you have to download it in blocks and listen at real speed, I think...so I didn't find you yet...I stopped listening after Horizon Air about the time you mentioned.  You can listen to, and download, the approach then tower recordings in .mp3.  When you find it, let us hear!

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.06.50 PM.png

• Like 1

I landed at SFO back in June, 1988 in a 235 Cherokee.  I about 150 hours total time.  I stopped at SFO on a trip from Monterey, CA to Portland, OR.

Still remember the day.  That was a year before I got my Instrument rating so it was a VFR approach.  It was not that hard to do.

John Breda

• Like 1

Ross, a friend and fellow Mooney owner (Bravo) listened to LiveATC as I was going into SFO.  He said it might have been around 1725Z.  I’ll try to post some photos tomorrow.

still haven’t gotten my go pro mount so I couldn’t video this.  I bet it’s been a long time since the tower saw a Mooney land there.

Just now, M20F-1968 said:

I landed at SFO back in June, 1988 in a 235 Cherokee.  I about 150 hours total time.  I stopped at SFO on a trip from Monterey, CA to Portland, OR.

Still remember the day.  That was a year before I got my Instrument rating so it was a VFR approach.  It was not that hard to do.

John Breda

Pre-pandemic, you could not land at SFO in a piston single.  It was virtually unheard of.  

Just now, Mooney217RN said:

Pre-pandemic, you could not land at SFO in a piston single.  It was virtually unheard of.  

I pulled my old logbook.  I landed there on June 28, 1988.  It certainly was doable. It was a stop on a trip Monterey -- SFO  -- Red Bluff.

John Breda

John, probably not.  I have read of one person who did so in an SR-22 because they had to, but that’s the only one I have heard of in recent  years.  Generally speaking, they want you landing at SQL, 8 miles SE of SFO.  It’s similar to OAK - you must land at North Field.

30 minutes ago, OR75 said:

You called ATC prior ? Or just asked as you were nearby ? 

I requested a tower enroute VFR clearance from SQL tower for landing 28L @ SFO.  SQL frequently coordinates with SFO tower on Bravo transitions, so I took a guess that they could make it happen.  

• Like 1

It’s really interesting...

ATC wants the business

They are probably counting the operations... (?)

MSers have been to Miami, SanFran, Newark and Orlando...

Any other reports...?

PP thoughts only, some large expenses could be associated with such memorable activity...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Mooney217RN said:

John, probably not.  I have read of one person who did so in an SR-22 because they had to, but that’s the only one I have heard of in recent  years.  Generally speaking, they want you landing at SQL, 8 miles SE of SFO.  It’s similar to OAK - you must land at North Field.

I'm glad you enjoyed your flight. I'm sure you'll cherish the memory, and well you should. But you don't have to stop with SFO.

Remember that in aviation in the United States, it's not normally a question of where they want you to land. It's a question of what the regulations require and what fees you're willing to pay. I don't know if the controllers wanted me to land my Mooney at ATL, BWI, BOS, DCA (pre-9/11), HOU, IAD, LAS, MDW, MEM, MYS, OAK, PHL, or STL, but I've done it, sometimes VFR, sometimes IFR. The controllers were always nice about it; they were doing their jobs, and I tried my best not to make their jobs more difficult.

The FAA has a slot reservation system for certain airports (DCA and LGA reservations are available here), and DCA has other ridiculous requirements post-9/11, but you can land an IFR flight into LGA on a Saturday without getting a slot reservation. I haven't done it, though.

Edited by Flash
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

Is there a landing fee if you do a T&G?  I heard it is north of $300!!!

Is that for T&G with two main wheels & front gear? or do you get a discount if you T&G on the 2 mains only or on one wheel :D

• Like 1

Back in the 1980's when I was learning to fly in Hillsboro, OR (HIO) we used to go to Portland International (PDX) on a regular basis for IFR training and to get a feel of operating in a larger airport.  ATC never gave us a problem and there were no landing fees charged.

John Breda

Slightly on topic...Martin Pauly has a YouTube channel and he routinely flies his Bonanza into major airports such as Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, DFW, etc...  He says it really is a non-issue and controllers are quite helpful.  I am sure the landing fees/handling fees can get quite expensive though.

Oh come on guys. I have landed at SFO, ATL, LAX, MCO,  etc dozens of. times in single engine airplanes. Heck, I took my PA-18 SuperCub into ATL. just two years ago. This is nonsense you can't land at a big airport in a single engine airplane. Are there challenges? Sure! Handle them. There are no "landing fees" because you are Part 91. Now are there FBO fees? Not until Signature took over the world. That is why I joined AOPA. They have. put the hurt on Signature's outrageous fees.

• Like 3