My wife thinks we need a 252...

20 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I can't say I disagree.  I love my C. But I'd really love a faster bigger Mooney.  

Whats the going rate on a decently equipped 252? 

lol...was wondering how long that would last.  ;)

I almost remember the day...

When she said yes...

I loved my C....

:)

All I know.... the iron is HOT...

Time to strike!

Need a hand selecting the bird?   MS can be pretty good at that too...

252s, Rockets, Long Bodies... all deserve a good look....

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Just now, EricJ said:

lol...was wondering how long that would last.  ;)

Well, she really wants a 36 series Bo.  But that's not gonna happen.  I just don't like the way it feels from a pilot perspective.  

I'm not in a hurry (read: I'm too broke to buy one right now) but I'd kinda like to start looking around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I'm not in a hurry (read: I'm too broke to buy one right now) but I'd kinda like to start looking around.

Yeah, me too--exactly how I feel about trading for a Missile . . . . .  But doggone it, the C is such a sweet spot!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hank said:

Yeah, me too--exactly how I feel about trading for a Missile . . . . .  But doggone it, the C is such a sweet spot!

I know... And I truthfully know my C inside and out.  I just wish it had auto pilot and a bigger back seat.  

It's pretty much exactly the way I want it. But.... 

Hey Brice,

So first of all, she is exactly correct! We moved from an M20C to a 252 about the time my wife realized that the Mooney was actually good for going places. But she wanted to go further and get there quicker.

Secondly, Denver isn't that far from Phoenix and while my 252 isn't for sale, (of course), I'd be happy to put you in the left seat of a pretty nice 252 and let you see how you like it. We can talk about the advantages and disadvantages of flying turbos. You can see what it's like to put on a mask as you climb through FL180 and reset the Altimeter to 29.92. We'll talk about what to look for and what you really want in a 252. How to find a good one, and what they're worth. By the way, there is no more comfortable Mooney back seat than in a 252. (I had to rescue a friend of mine who flies an A36, that threw a mag. He had to ride in the back seat of my 252. He declared it was the most comfortable GA seat he'd ever sat in.)

We've even got a guest room... Give me a call.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I love my C. But I'd really love a faster bigger Mooney.

I think I said those very words in July 2016.

We were in Coeur d'Alene, ID heading to West Yellowstone and the Rocky Mountains.

By the end of August 2016 N6XM had been sold and delivered, I'd picked up N252AD in Ohio and brought it home to my hangar in San Marcos, TX.

• Like 2

Wow - I didn't realize you were such a lucky guy Brice! She sounds awesome!

I totally understand the Bo, I love my Mooney but I also love the A36 with the 310 HP IO-550 and cargo doors or better yet a A36TC 300 HP or the Tornado Alley TN. All good options but I know I can't g back to NA after flying the FLs in my turbo above the weather were mere mortals are stuck. 

I just signed off a A36 student for his commercial when we got our shelter in place and have also done the instrument rating in them and love them for what they do and can offer. Overall I probably spend 40% of my time in the Bo's and 60% of my time in Mooney's and love them both. But I still like that the 252 cruises faster at altitude and is at the height of the Mooney efficiency bar. For my limited  adventure traveling requirements I don't think anything beats the Mooney and does it better than my 252/Encore. 

But there are no bad choices! 

• Like 1

When I bought my J I thought it was the last plane I would buy. But just 5 years after I wanted more performance and capability and fewer flights cancelled due to the threat of icing. So now I have a FIKI Encore.

Now is the time to really think about what you want and not compromise. I almost bought a non FIKI Bravo. I don’t use the TKS much at all but I really like having it there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I’d drive across town and try on X-ray Mike and see how she feels. It’s been on the market for a long time but looks pretty decent on paper. 

That plane is basically why I made this post lol. But the useful load is abysmal.  Id have trouble getting my whole family in. Even without full tanks.

That plane is basically why I made this post lol. But the useful load is abysmal.  Id have trouble getting my whole family in. Even without full tanks.

Well you got the right idea. My 252/Encore useful load is 1127 lbs but it took many years of upgrades to get it there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

What’s the typical useful load of a Bravo?

The book seems to say 1170lbs for the Bravo, so just slightly above the Encore (reliable numbers come after we subtract 800nm fuel, oxygen, Aircon or FIKI (but not both :lol:) )

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Well, she really wants a 36 series Bo.  But that's not gonna happen.  I just don't like the way it feels from a pilot perspective.  

I have a nice 1980 F33A that’s going to be for sale in about 60 days. 3,000 TTAF, 1,300 SMOH, New leather interior, heading to the paint shop 6/1/2020, GTN 750, GTN 650, G500. KFC200 with rate of climb and altitude pre select. Awesome little “Speed Bird”. I will be offering it for about $30K under appraised value. As of this time you could pick your own exterior paint scheme.  I personally prefer my A36, but if that’s not your style then maybe the F33A is.

4814B282-B68C-4831-82FC-6A1D10DF0F90.jpeg

B5F6EECE-1379-4231-8685-CE03ED2C7C49.jpeg

649E60DB-33CE-48EF-863E-F04F9B2848CC.jpeg

• Like 4

If useful load is what you're after, you need an Encore or an Eagle. The eagle is better below like 12k. From 12 to 18K, they're practically the same plane. and further up the Encore gets ahead. With the eagle you have a way better climb at the beginning, and up until about 7 or 8k where it evens out and then the Encore starts to catch up. Engine on overhaul on the 360 would probably be slightly more because of the turbo. Fuel flow are also probably gonna be the same. Takeoff GPH is 28.5 on the Eagle, and probably 26.5 on the encore. All in, They probably cost exactly the same to operate per hour and both will fit your entire family without issue as long as you're 4 people. I can take 750 lbs of stuff and 75 gallons giving me +4.5 hours of flight time plus the .5 hour reserve. I'm sure anthony will chime in, saying 310hp is addictive, but then again he isn't wrong.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Frank B. said:

I have a nice 1980 F33A that’s going to be for sale in about 60 days. 3,000 TTAF, 1,300 SMOH, New leather interior, heading to the paint shop 6/1/2020, GTN 750, GTN 650, G500. KFC200 with rate of climb and altitude pre select. Awesome little “Speed Bird”. I will be offering it for about $30K under appraised value. As of this time you could pick your own exterior paint scheme.  I personally prefer my A36, but if that’s not your style then maybe the F33A is.

4814B282-B68C-4831-82FC-6A1D10DF0F90.jpeg

B5F6EECE-1379-4231-8685-CE03ED2C7C49.jpeg

649E60DB-33CE-48EF-863E-F04F9B2848CC.jpeg

whats cruise on that thing? fuel flow and KTAS?

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

whats cruise on that thing? fuel flow and KTAS?

I flight plan for 160, which is a little under what I typically average. As for fuel flow, that’s a good question. I haven’t traveled much in it and I don’t ever go LOP because fuel consumption is typically not a concern for me. At 24/24 I usually lean it back to 14 to 15 GPH which gives me EGT’s in the mid to upper 1300’s and CHT’s between 375 and 400.