Carb air box

1 hour ago, mike20papa said:

These came from the factory beat up junk.  Re-work is the order of the day.

I wouldn't totally give up on getting a decent one off of here... 

I'm not certain how long this fact will last, but my understanding is that all of the mooney service centers had rebuild parts on hand.  Lasar will rebuild them for a $um, or you can get the parts and your a&p or IA can rebuild it.

19 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

I wouldn't totally give up on getting a decent one off of here... 

I'm not certain how long this fact will last, but my understanding is that all of the mooney service centers had rebuild parts on hand.  Lasar will rebuild them for a $um, or you can get the parts and your a&p or IA can rebuild it.

I have a decent one. It needs work, but I have no idea how bad his is

I sent him a message.

1382258718_Airbox1.thumb.JPG.0a07d1750e3562fdba8d4cabfa206a47.JPGI'm just saying the induction system for the 180 hp Mooneys is really a marginal design.  The induction booty thing, the carb box, the carb heat flap & linkage. ... makes you wonder.  The carb heat box usually cracks at the base of the carb heat inlet tube.  The little needle bearings on the heat flap shake themselves to pieces - and the carb heat linkage geometry "was beat to fit".   When I had a welder attempt to repair the crack - the alumn. had so much inter-granular (due to age) it was almost impossible to weld.  Ended up cutting most of it away and forming a new piece of alumn. as a patch.  The good think about this is that it created a "pocket" for the heat flap to swing up out of the way of the airflow.  Also, look at MacFarlane for replacement "elastomeric" bearings to get rid of the old needle bearings on the air flap shaft.  They are a great improvement - and won't be feeding needle bearings into your engine as they shake apart.  Also, I think that Mooney put out a SB regarding the attachment of the heat flap to shaft.   Once again - the photos are @%&?! inverted - Good luck.  Joe1394460086_airbox4.thumb.JPG.8ffe01d70ebe6a5dc7469ac957b0c900.JPG

Airbox 2.JPG

airbox 3.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mike20papa said:

Airbox 2.JPG

Wondering if other people have that wedge between their carb and the heat box...  I don't think I've ever seen one in a picture on here and I don't have one...  Looks like my accordian might have appreciated the different angle...

Another reason I'd love to get my hands on the sabrecowl...  modern airbox, modern baffling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

I’m actually thinking of making my new carb air box available with an adapter to the stock C & G model filter. Would like to find a way to not have to do an STC though. 

I'm still drooling on your cowl...Hope I can make it work.  but a better airbox would be a major move forward for the carbureted  owners.

I have to wonder if the carb heat, etc. could be separated from the vibration of the engine...perhaps attaching the carb heat box to the air filter end/cowl, then using a more common scat tubing to connect to the carb.  I know that something like that would require an stc, but it would be a good thing for the longevity of the airbox. 

Edited by cctsurf
Further ideas

Carb heat box and flex boot problems could be solved with an improved design the would effectively lengthen the heat box - forward..  The boot could be replaced with a metal duct the over lapped the inlet of the heat box with enough clearance to provide - engine vibration +  round, flex sealant.  I'm going to work on one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mike20papa said:

Carb heat box and flex boot problems could be solved with an improved design the would effectively lengthen the heat box - forward..  The boot could be replaced with a metal duct the over lapped the inlet of the heat box with enough clearance to provide - engine vibration +  round, flex sealant.  I'm going to work on one.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you're successful- but I must admit I'm a little skeptical of that being a workable solution.

Watch sometime as someone starts their engine without the cowling installed.  The engine moves about every direction possible- up/down/left/right- sometimes at the same time- but mostly there's a twisting component that would be hard to account for.  But I do hope you're successful. 

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with that statement.  Having seen the patched up lower cowlings around the intake filter and the associated sheet metal around air filters beat up due to engine vibration.  I have even seen the breeze clamps nearly chew a hole thru the bottom of the cowling air scoop due to vibration.  It;s all a poor design.   Actually, the rubber boot is great for axial/front to rear movement, but poor for lateral engine vibration movement.  The fix I think about would allow for the lateral movement.  Shut down can be especially cruel to all the bits connected.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert Hicks said:

Thank you all for the replies. [mention]ragedracer1977 [/mention]got me sorted out! e239c12f613a051b903c9cdf1b7045b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuel pressure hose on your carburetor is rated for instrument air and not fuel.  

Clarence

• 2 years later...

I am also in need of a M20C 360 air box.  Please help if you know of one in decent condition.  There are some parts out of my existing one that I may be able to reuse if I can get a shell that's not cracked and broken.

On 4/28/2020 at 6:48 PM, carusoam said:

We have a few players in the used parts arena...

The wear issues probably get new parts from Lasar...

@Alan Fox

@Jerry Pressley

@SheryLoewen

Best regards,

-a-

@Terrys one of these providers (above) is probably your best chance of getting something that can made serviceable.  

I noted we are separated by only one aircraft on the assembly line.  I rebuilt my air box in 2010 and it’s still going strong.

• Like 1