Replacing windlace on M20J

Has anyone replaced the windlace (see picture 1) for the entry doorway on their M20J?  I'm looking to tackle this project myself but see some obstacles.  How do you removed the handle attached to the front fuselage door frame used for entry assistance (see picture 2).  How is the windlace attached to the frame (screws or rivets)?  I welcome your feedback and suggestions.

image003.jpg

IMG_0689.JPG

Yes...

easy first new 2U project...

I bought the windlace from the same place I bough the carpet and side panels...

Use the original to help with the planning and measuring of holes...

getting screws back in their original locations can be challenging. But better than drilling a lot of extra holes...

Everybody that sits right seat... appreciates the look of new windlace...

They are really un-nerved by a ragged one dangling near their eyeballs...   :)

PP thoughts on, not a mechanic..

Best regards,

-a-

48 minutes ago, jsimmons619 said:

Has anyone replaced the windlace (see picture 1) for the entry doorway on their M20J?  I'm looking to tackle this project myself but see some obstacles.  How do you removed the handle attached to the front fuselage door frame used for entry assistance (see picture 2).  How is the windlace attached to the frame (screws or rivets)?  I welcome your feedback and suggestions.

image003.jpg

IMG_0689.JPG

This was not very simple in my case! I had the same question and after some research I discovered mine are indeed rivets! Yours look like mine do. I also have them around the baggage door wind-lace. It was too many to drill out so I didn’t bother. My wind-lace is in good condition and it didn’t warrant all that work. I wanted to change out to leather. Maybe one day! But not as simple as removing some screws.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:48 PM, carusoam said:

That’s the structural windlace, Peter!

:)

-a-

I don’t think so Anthony! I’m specifically referring to the cord wind-lace around the cabin and baggage doors. In my 201 it is secured down under that shiny aluminum piece which is riveted. At least around the baggage door.

2 hours ago, jsimmons619 said:

Hi carusoam,  How did you remove the grab handle?  I cannot seem to find how to remove the cover over the mounting screws or bolts.

Thanks for your response.

I’m going to take mine apart next month and I’d like to know also. From the IPC it appears the are just stuck on with double sided tape, but it’s not all that clear.

Skip

Gents,

unfortunately, my experience came from my 65C...

The 65C had a grab handle for the door... two simple bolts, one at each end of the handle...

The sheet metal screws for the windlace were just hidden behind the plastic wall panels...

Double check which direction the material goes... hiding it under metal and rivets doesn’t sound like a Mooney method for something like that...

As far has the fancy plastic covers over the bolts go... they appear to be snap in place...

Good luck with your project...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Like @cliffy says above, you'll need to open it up at least partially to verify. My door windlace was secured with small screws only into aluminum. That made it really easy when I did mine years ago when I put in leather windlace to match my nice new AeroComfort seats. If its attached by the pop rivets like Peter's above and as I sort of remember my baggage door was, then its a bigger job of course. I can't recall much detail other than it wasn't hard but slow detailed work, one screw at a time just like Anthony describes. No glue was on mine anywhere.

• Like 1

Hi PTK, carusoam, PT20J, cliffy and kortopates,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the windlace replacement.  I'm currently awaiting the replacement windlace material.  Once that arrives I plan to tackle the project. I have made some minor efforts at removing the handle but still haven't determined how those apparent covers over the handle fasteners are attached.  I'd hate to damage the covers and create a new problem. Once I solve that issue, I'll post the solution for others who may face the same covers.

• Like 1

Each cut location, and depth, will help shape the windlace just like the original...

Expect Peter’s advice to be spot on... he went to the next level, or several levels up, with leather wrapped yokes and really nice seats...

I struggled with the windlace... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On my '84 J the windlace is held in by little, tiny Phillips-head screws. Some of them are under the plastic interior parts, so when I was redoing the plastic in my plane, it was a good time to replace the windlace.

Two things I learned from doing it:

1. Save the existing windlace and use it for a pattern for the holes where the screws/rivets go. It also helps to know where you need to cut into the material to go around corners.
  2. Patience. It may have taken 10-15 minutes to get a single screw in for the first few I did. It finally sped up as I became more adept at not slicing my hands on sharp aluminum, but it was never a job I would commit to having done in a specified amount of time.

Stubby screw drivers are too large. I ended up with some jewelers screw drivers that worked fairly well.

And a large box of band-aids.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I have received enough windlace material to tackle the cargo door (more on backorder).  I found that my '87J has the same tiny phillips head screws.  At times it appeared that rivets would have to be drilled but that was not necessary.  Right now I have the old one removed and will be installing the new on later today.

• Like 1

The cuts in the mounting material...

Location and depth...

are important for how the material bends and lays flat around the curves of the doors....

Essentially the cuts match the bends... copying the old one is the easiest way to get it right...

Stuff I learned on my M20C...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, bradp said:

Courtney (wife) did it for me.  Bought some windlace from the auto upholstery supply shop and the tab just fits in behind the aluminum trim.  Not too difficult.  Good results.  

Did I mention that a family that does maintenance together....

This is a really good sign!

:)

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've spent a couple of days removing the weather stripping and most of the windlace from my 1994 M20J. I used half a quart can of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover to clean up the glue from the weather strip. For the baggage compartment, the left side of the windlace is attached with countersunk pop rivets that have to be drilled out. The top and right side are held on with #4 flat head sheet metal screws. All the main door windlace is held on with the same screws. The biggest pain is the section behind the circuit breaker panel. I'm going to have to spend some time getting the panel out of the way to access the screws.

I got some nice windlace from Bruce Jaeger -- he's shipping during the pandemic.

I'm replacing the door seals with T-9088 from Brown Aircraft Supply which is called out in the IPC. That appears to be what was on the main door. The baggage door had a similar material but a foam core rather than a hollow core as the T-9088. Both were squashed flat.

Skip

• 2 years later...

I am struggling with the circuit breaker avionics panel portion on my 78 J model.  What is the process there?  I was contemplating cutting it out and abandoning that small section....

Also, trying to find the best place to buy the windlace and I assume the rubber trim that is sandwiched on the main door with the windlace.  (Pic shows my groovy wine colored lace and the white trim piece).   I think I will replace all the white trim pieces on the rehab project.  image.jpeg.2cbd572d8f0d4b36b67694e9f64a086a.jpeg