Effect of Air Conditioning on Power

TGreen

3 hours ago, TGreen said:

Does running the air conditioning reduce power? Was thinking about this as I took off from Sedona this weekend with density altitude around 8,000 ft.

Engine driven A/C like I had in my Seneca, yes. Electric like I have in my Bonanza, no.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I was under the impression that planes with AC had you turn it off for takeoff. I could be wrong...

That just depends on the installation and the POH supplement. Some do, some don't. I believe engine driven A/C always has to be turned off for take off and landing.

• Like 1

Yes on both counts...

Mechanical runs a compressor.... and it’s a pretty obvious sole use device... when the AC is on, the compressor is dragging on the engine.... there are parts that are always connected even when the clutch is disengaged...

For Ken’s electric compressor... the drag isn’t as direct.... and batteries are there to act as a buffer... the alternator will be generating electron flow by dragging on the engine....

We would have to get design data for the alternator to see what the change of drag is at various rpm, and/or amps...

Essentially, all that chemical energy stored in the fuel is turned into mechanical energy by the engine...the mechanical energy gets converted to electricity to run the compressor...

None of that energy is free...

I’m only a PP, and not familiar with AC in Mooneys... I visited a chilled Mooney at the Summit...  and I sure would like to have one and a Fiki system too.... and a giant bag of helium to improve my empty weight... :)

So... read the AC supplement in the POH... if it says turn off for T/O... that might take a minute...(?)

I bet @mike_elliott in Florida, knows the answer to this one....(AC off for T/O(?))

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The first few Air conditioners installed by Mooney on the R's were not allowed on for T/O's. It was more because of the CO introduced than horsepower drain. There is a mod to correct this, most of the planes have been done. I know of one that "is in process" if not finished yet. Since these few, all R's TN's, U's V''s produced from the factory allows the use during all phases of flight per the supplement on pg 4. The S, which ias less power than the U, does not permit the use during Take off, climbs below 120 and landing.

The Kelly Aerospace 3rd party system works extremely well and doesn't affect the newer U's and V's that have it in the least from a power standpoint. Highly recommend if you want AC in your Mooney longbody!

DISCLAIMER Kelly Aerospace is a proud sponsor of the Mooney Summit (thanks Walter!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1