Oxygen knob/wire failure

DaveMC

20 minutes ago, Fritz1 said:

Dave, your coil looks pretty good now, it has to be wound tight enough so it snaps onto the peg, the peg has a little groove that can hold a small retaining clip, cut the coil short enough with Dremel disk so retaining clip goes on. Figured this one out together with Brian Kendrick when he did my annual in January, has been working like a charm ever since. -Fritz

There is a clip??????

Do you have any pictures of the retaining clip or a source?

Dave, I took the contraption to NAPA and they found a clip, forgot what size. Brian Kendrick liked the idea,  he actually wound a perfect coil on the the old wire while in the airplane using needle nose pliers, I have no clue how he did it, we lubed the cable with Triflow and put everything back together. Make sure that the oxygen valve on the bottle really cuts off, otherwise you can loose oxygen. Winding the coil takes some practice, use a screwdriver or a drill slightly smaller than the peg and put it into a vise together with one wire end, then start winding and pull hard.  0.050 piano wire from McMaster works quite well, Mooney uses the same. Done this way the oxygen cable will never come off again. My local shop screwed it up during the prior annual about a year and a half ago, their coil looked about like your first attempt and came off in no time. Nobody could believe that there was no clip, pain is the price and experience is the reward. -Fritz

Welcome aboard, new Fritz.

Bending a wire... with a perfect coil... tighter than the post...

Helps to have round needle nose pliers... trim off the end when complete... (ask an orthodontist for guidance)

wind the coil so that the long end is closer to the base of the post... (better for Force, not pulling the wire off the post...)

Sounds like the highly respected Mr. Kendrick cut a groove to place a rotor clip in as a retainer...

https://www.rotorclip.com/rings.php

Got a pic to go with that?

This style may not even need a groove... select the proper ID and OD...

https://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/tx.pdf

PP thoughts only, not an orthodontist...

Best regards,

-a-

If there is a groove in the post already...

Expect the existing rotor clip has rusted and failed... (after decades on the job)

I had one fail on my Mooney tow bar... after 20years... modern tow bars, have a collapsible extension at the nose wheel... when extended, the tow bar can get locked in place.

Proof that a Mooney knows what a rotor clip is and has used one before...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 year later...

Is the control knob supposed to be difficult to turn? It takes a great deal of force in mine to get it to the on or off position.

I had a MSC take a look, they said it's normal, that I shouldn't worry that it will break. Do you need a great deal of force as well? 

2 hours ago, hais said:

Is the control knob supposed to be difficult to turn? It takes a great deal of force in mine to get it to the on or off position.

I had a MSC take a look, they said it's normal, that I shouldn't worry that it will break. Do you need a great deal of force as well? 

O2 system controls are known to break… or generally mis-behave…

Simple cable challenges can probably be cleaned up… or replaced.

There is nothing inherent about the O2 system itself that requires a lot of force…

Set up the camera to watch the valve, while you operate it from the front…

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Aah, now I think I understand how the spring steel wire was attached to the post for the flap indicator.  Just wrapped around?   But there is a hole in the post, either for a cotter pin to hold the 'coil on' or maybe tuck the end of the wire in?  

Aerodon

IMG_5206-3.jpeg

The knob is easy to turn. To properly lubricate the cable the steel wire will need to be fully pulled out and then reinstalled while spraying tri flow. And if you do that you may as well just put in a new wire because it is easy. This is actually very easy and takes only a few minutes. Most of the time spent is removing the seat and side wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1