look MA, no vacuum ovation

flysamo

made the choice on avionics up grade for the 99 ovation, we had planed to up grade the Garmin 480,mx 200 display( it hurts when Garmin say NO LONGER SUPPORTED,converting to a Garmin 750 display, and then decide to replace hsi/dg with Garmin 275 units and remove vacuum DUAL system. we had been on the waiting list for 4 months and air craft when in last week, up grade will take about 30 days. lots of choices out there, KI 300 was view as bad choice due to unit problems and they said they had had customers request removal of the KI300 after install due to unit problems.275 install cost about 16mu and added 3 weeks to the job. this is the 4 th. avionics upgrade in ten years, last one was a jp900, new panel, ADF and storm scope removal. only King units left are auto pilot,and 155 radio. other upgrades were new  interior, 310 HP upgrade ( very happy about this one)), top prop conversion, and the dreaded cylinder replacement, it all started with a bad Moritz display, that after 4 repair attempts it got junked and replaced with a JPI 900. avionics shop had at least 10 planes under avionics work. now starts the learning curve on how use the new equipment and will it all work as planed. will send picture when done

• Like 4

On 4/27/2020 at 10:16 AM, flysamo said:

made the choice on avionics up grade for the 99 ovation, we had planed to up grade the Garmin 480,mx 200 display( it hurts when Garmin say NO LONGER SUPPORTED,converting to a Garmin 750 display, and then decide to replace hsi/dg with Garmin 275 units...

Nice! That's definitely next on my list. looking forward to photos and pireps.

have used jepperson chart for years, for my avionics up grade,shop recommended Garmin data package over jepperson, the garmin gtn 750 is locked out of jepperson, if the want their package it about $1600 to unlock the unit and a 1k a year for their data package with approach charts. it seems they don't want small aircraft, Garmin data packages are about 2/3 the price, no unlocking charge for the same service. Looks like I will also be switching over from Jepperson to Garmin. This will include using Garmin pilot and leaving fore flight as it looks like data is easier to load and I hope its easier to use. Got to hand it to Boeing and their management staff

When going all garmin... May people use the garmin app as well...

Wifi sends the latest chart updates all around...

And the app looks and feels the same on the iPad as it does on the GTN...

Pp thoughts only, stuff I read around MS... few garmin boxes in my panel...

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/28/2020 at 11:58 AM, flysamo said:

aircraft has a kap 150, shop indicated there was no problem in getting the 275 units to talk to the auto pilot, also a vfr gps input to  the 275 units in case the 750 unit went bad

You actually have a KFC150...with the integrated flight director, not a KAP150.