QT Halo vs. ....

Huitt3106

For this who prefer an ANR a headset option and who want it all:

* Bose sound/ANR (Sony if you prefer). You can also go ANR +  "plugs and muffs" and increase the gain on desired signal if you prefer. 

* High quality mic

*Lighter weight than traditional headset including those from Bose

*Lower price (good chance you own a pair of the headphones already)

* All day comfort (these are my work headphones and I literally have used them pushing 8 hrs/day for years to help hear better on conference calls. I don't use the ANR during daily calls, but I do in the Mooney. I also own HALO (well they are the wife's ) Bose Aviation X and Lightspeed. These units are my favorite though. 

This is the contact info for the guy that makes the aviation adapters (different "Steve" no relation/relationship other than I am a customer): 

Need Assistance? Contact us.
We'll do everything we can to make sure you have a great experience with us.
Call us: 2063906042
Email us: steve77@gmail.com
This email was sent by OSEI LLC
https://www.thecrystalmic.com/

• Like 1

I just thought I'd report back after my first quick flight with the QT Halos since asking all of you for your advice.  They seem very comfortable and the sound quality is excellent.  I can easily wear sunglasses without interfering with the noise reduction or fit of the Halos. When worn correctly (plenty of experience with earplugs and how to properly insert them) they are SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my David Clarks H10-13.4s. In fact, they were so much better at noise reduction that I had a hard time listening to engine noise while taxiing and over-leaned the mixture a couple times and nearly cutting off the engine (on the ground of course).  The mic is a bit funky to get to stay in place but I'm sure I'll get used to it and figure how to properly wear it.  For the price, I couldn't imagine a better solution for hearing protection and ability to wear sunglasses while flying!  

I'm sure they're nice, but after a quick flight I'm glad I saved $850 and didn't jump to the Bose.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

I just thought I'd report back after my first quick flight with the QT Halos since asking all of you for your advice.  They seem very comfortable and the sound quality is excellent.  I can easily wear sunglasses without interfering with the noise reduction or fit of the Halos. When worn correctly (plenty of experience with earplugs and how to properly insert them) they are SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my David Clarks H10-13.4s. In fact, they were so much better at noise reduction that I had a hard time listening to engine noise while taxiing and over-leaned the mixture a couple times and nearly cutting off the engine (on the ground of course).  The mic is a bit funky to get to stay in place but I'm sure I'll get used to it and figure how to properly wear it.  For the price, I couldn't imagine a better solution for hearing protection and ability to wear sunglasses while flying!  

I'm sure they're nice, but after a quick flight I'm glad I saved $850 and didn't jump to the Bose.  

The thing with the mic is to make sure the flat side of the mic is pointing towards your lips. You can feel that through the muff. Every so often I check to make sure it's still in the correct orientation.

• Like 4

I just pulled the trigger on Halo to replace my old Lightspeed headset. It seems to be 48 hour shipping so we will see if I get them by Friday so I can try them out Saturday morning. I hope these live up to the hype, I’m picking them because I like wearing sunglasses and never could get a good ear seal with my Oakleys. Worst case, my wife will likely wear them later because they won’t mess with her hair.

1 minute ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I just pulled the trigger on Halo to replace my old Lightspeed headset. It seems to be 48 hour shipping so we will see if I get them by Friday so I can try them out Saturday morning. I hope these live up to the hype, I’m picking them because I like wearing sunglasses and never could get a good ear seal with my Oakleys. Worst case, my wife will likely wear them later because they won’t mess with her hair.

Two things... The frame is basically just wire, so manipulate it to get it to sit where you want. That might involve extending the bit opposite the mic. Secondly, the mic is very directional so make sure the flat side is at your mouth. You can feel it with your fingers through the muff.

@gsxrpilot, it really was your Opinion convincing me to try it.  I think I’ve read every topic on MS about this headset and I liked the input.  I wasn’t thrilled with the Bose A20 (actually their customer support for non-aviation products killed it for me), Lightspeed was ok, but I’m also cheap. Telex and DC looked good but I wanted to try something that would fit my sunglass habit too. I’m looking forward to trying them out.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

@gsxrpilot, it really was your Opinion convincing me to try it.  I think I’ve read every topic on MS about this headset and I liked the input.  I wasn’t thrilled with the Bose A20 (actually their customer support for non-aviation products killed it for me), Lightspeed was ok, but I’m also cheap. Telex and DC looked good but I wanted to try something that would fit my sunglass habit too. I’m looking forward to trying them out.  

You'll like them! I've been loving mine almost a decade. Finally talked my wife into trying a pair last fall, twenty minutes into her first flight she was hooked. She had many problems with DC gel seals over the years, now that set is in the back seat. Halos don't mess up her hair, and earrings don't interfere with them, either.

• Like 1

Call me odd man out.  Or just call me odd man.

I had a set of Halo's that I used for a couple years, but I never loved them.  More and more I would reach for my Bose A20 for almost all flights until before long I essentially never used the Halo's.  I mentioned that here once and someone PM'ed me made an offer and I sold them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Call me odd man out.  Or just call me odd man.

I had a set of Halo's that I used for a couple years, but I never loved them.  More and more I would reach for my Bose A20 for almost all flights until before long I essentially never used the Halo's.  I mentioned that here once and someone PM'ed me made an offer and I sold them.

See? They are a no-risk purchase! My second pair [for my wife] were purchased from another MSer who didn't like them. Thankfully they are yellow, so we don't confuse them with my black set.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hank said:

See? They are a no-risk purchase! My second pair [for my wife] were purchased from another MSer who didn't like them. Thankfully they are yellow, so we don't confuse them with my black set.

I forgot - was it you I sold them to Hank?

If so - enjoy!  :-)

My headset arrived in the mail yesterday, two days after ordering.  Surprisingly I only received the email receipt no shipping info at all. I’m not posting pics because at this point everyone that has been interested has seen them.  I’m flying in a Citation tonight, and a piston plane in the morning.  Will give my personal pirep after the next 24 hours.  

• Like 2

Well, I have a few hours now on my Halos.  Initial thoughts are pretty positive but take this as one person’s opinion.  The noises you hear in a Citation (510 Mustang in my case) are very different than a piston plane.  Without headphones in the front you hear a little of the whine from the small P&W 615 engines and a significant amount of wind noise around the nose.  This headset works very well in a jet like this as the noise isn’t a low drone (to me) and is right at home up there.  Saturday I got into a 172M for some training and at first I was like “WTH did I buy?!?!”  But after my initial checks and run up, I was fine with it.  The audio is very good in this headset.  I could hear tower very well, the engine noise was all but a memory.  My only issue was when I was on CTAF at another airport, I had some troubles hearing but I chalk that up to it being a 20 year old audio panel, radio, and unknown antennas in that plane. The Mustang was not like that. I loved wearing my normal sunglasses with these, I barely feel them on my head.  I did not get any headaches like I have with other headsets, and quite honestly, I like hearing some of the engine.  I still think that the Bose ANR gave me a headache for some reason. I will continue using them and let my wife try them.  If she likes them I’ll get another set or she can have whatever she likes if she doesn’t. Ironically, the day I received these, a for sale post popped up on another forum for two pairs and they were listed at the same price I bought my single set for.  Oh well.  

• Like 1

I was actually going to start a thread - and still well, about using the Bose QC25 or QC35 headphones and a NFlightMic.  It's not quite as good as an A20 from what I've heard, but they are darn good, and half the price, and you can then use the headphones for other purposes (phone calls, netflix, youtube, music, etc).

I'm also going to consider using this setup for my kids in the backseat vs the numerous headsets we have.

I have over the past twenty years picked up quite a few headsets . . . and haven't sold any.  

-Bose A20 - best I've used.  They are my wife's, but since she doesn't fly as often since we had our first child in 2015, I use them almost all the time.  

-Zule 3 - upgraded from a Zulu 2 I purchased as part of a trade in on a 1970's David Clark given to me by a retired ATC guy.  The ear seals were shot, it was heavy, and I wasn't going to use it, so it went toward a pair of Zulu 2's.  When they needed a repair, the repair cost was $100.  The upgrade to a Zulu 3 and a 2 year new warranty was $200, so I upgraded them.

-Zulu 1 - purchased in 2010.  

-David Clark - Purchased 2004 - since modified with a smaller headband and oregon aero ear seals in 2018 for my kids (was my 4th headset)

-Some generic $90-$115 horrible headset I purchased in 2005 so I could have a second headset for when people flew with me.  It was headset #5 a while ago and I loan it out as an emergency headset if someone needs a headset.  It's a head vice.  I plan to sell this at some point.

-2 child headsets given to me by friends.  One is noise cancelling which is nice.

-My daughter after trying them all on including the bose likes the Zulu 3 and Zulu original most - which is fine with me.  

However - I just bought a used pair of Bose QC25 headphones off Ebay for $90.  They are AAA battery powered and lighter than the QC35 series (also bought a pair of ebay of the QC35 Series I - bluetooth no google help button, and internal battery to be charged for $107).  The QC25 is wired only and lighter. Same noise cancelling.  So, if you pair one with an NFlightMic or UFlyMic or any other mic, it becomes a Bose headset, lighter, and half price.  Many airline guys do this as the cockpits are quieter than our Mooney's.  That said, I need to test it out.  

If it's good, or nearly as good as a Bose A20 it's a win.  The review's I've seen say it's on par with a Bose X or Zulu original, which is FINE.  I can see this as a backseat passenger headset no sweat.  Or maybe what my kids may use with the carseats.  We can also simply plug in a table if needed for travel using these.  So, we'll see how it works out.

Go with what fits your head best.  Try a lot.  Too bad you can't go to Oshkosh this year to see multiple headsets and vendors in person.  Ranking wise for over ear headsets I'd say from my experience:

1.  Bose A20

2.  Zulu 3

3.  Zulu 2

4.  Zulu 1

5.  Bose X

However, I'll let you know how the Bose QC25 and NFlightMic/UFlyMic/Some sort of other mic works out.

-Seth

I am late on this, but have had the Halo for almost a decade. My old company was a Lightspeed dealer and while the Zulus were nice, I prefer my Halo over anything else out there. I test drove the Clarity Alofts too, the fit, design with ear tubes, and noise reduction was much better. Some people can't stand having things in their ears but that's the only argument I could see being made against it. Sound quality, is great, and I don't notice them at all. Plus if you like to go rolling and tumbling planes without a helmet, you don't have the mass of a Bose or Zulu to fling off your head.

• Like 1