413HM gets a much needed face lift

Good Morning MooneySpace.  N413HM is finally getting a much needed face lift.  Thought I would share and document the work with the community.  At the end of last year, we found a crack in the crank case, had 2 bad oil analysis in a row and a runaway oil temperature.  The engine has had a rough life.  She was at 1800hrs and during her TSMOH, she has had a jug blow off and a prop strike so we decided to go ahead and do an overhaul and start clean. 

Engine_Removal_2.thumb.jpg.4390c547b35c66ab9e3b0d6bb0cab3e9.jpg

Engine_Removal_1.thumb.jpg.a73a212a1a67cf9dd23b1a9f43af531e.jpg

Engine_Removal_3.thumb.jpg.1d1890929b37126290e9c8816e705e2d.jpg

Engine_Removal_4.thumb.jpg.69f12396e2a80511257f66ed583d8439.jpg

While she is down, we were going to overhaul the governor since it had an oil leak that was making a mess on the bottom of the plane, but found it was an ancient EDO-Aire governor, so she is also getting a new PCU5000 governor.

Governor_Leak.thumb.jpg.63cac90ad8f1c5385847afdcc93b8ed5.jpg

While she is down for the engine, she is also going to get a full electronics upgrade. New GNS-650 GPS/Com/Nav, GMA-345 Audio Panel, GTX-345 ADS-B in/out transponder, a second G5, and new LED wingtip lights. Below is the future panel mockup.

Panel_MockUp.thumb.jpg.f8a8ae2c7694eb22bcf56117c1ff1e81.jpg

The New LED lights were because we had installed a SkyBeacon originally and I didn't want to go backwards and reinstall the old strobes.  Forward progress only.  They are already installed and blindingly bright.

LED_Wingtips.thumb.jpg.23deeb3018aac0249a1e56bfaade4977.jpg

While she is out, we sanded and inspected the engine mount.  She is primed and ready for paint.

Engine_Mount_Primed.thumb.jpg.8a412bb2e12cc94a45b2075902d6548b.jpg

And the panel disassembly has started.  I forgot to mention that we are also installing the SureFly electronic ignition, so the old shower of sparks is coming out too.

Panel_Disassembly_Pic1_042520.thumb.jpg.f5577b676ddbed2cf148a62ec48747bb.jpg

First round of removed hardware.

Harware_Removed_1_042520.thumb.jpg.6782788402eadc52e10dcbf0a4a66775.jpg

I'm excited about the upgrade.  Not just for me having a nice plane, but for Mooney Legacy.  413HM is the next to last E model ever produced, 21-1179.  There is only one after mine, and it's somewhere in Canada; last I checked anyway.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Good luck with the nose job. Who is doing the surgery? (OH)

Triad Aviation in Burlington, NC.  http://www.hhtriad.com/engine.  Most of the Engines at KGMU have come from this shop and perform well, so we took their rebuilt option.  

They started the teardown and found the Cam and lifters spalled pretty heavily.  So she's getting a "new" cam and lifters now too.

P1011180.jpg

P1010226.jpg

P1010227.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm working on getting the throttle, mix, and prop cables on order, but have run into a SNAFU.  I figure I can ask here and keep it all to this thread before I start a new one.

My plane has the throttle quadrant instead of the traditional push pull controls.  I tried the usual suspects, aircraft spruce, macfarlane etc and get no hits for throttle cables for my plane.  Does anyone know where/how I can find cables?

*Editing to add info*

From the parts manual, it looks like the prop control cable is 660166-003, Throttle is 660166-7, and mixture is 660166-5.  Google doesn't help me locate the parts by these numbers.

On 5/5/2020 at 4:37 PM, bob865 said:

I'm working on getting the throttle, mix, and prop cables on order, but have run into a SNAFU.  I figure I can ask here and keep it all to this thread before I start a new one.

My plane has the throttle quadrant instead of the traditional push pull controls.  I tried the usual suspects, aircraft spruce, macfarlane etc and get no hits for throttle cables for my plane.  Does anyone know where/how I can find cables?

*Editing to add info*

From the parts manual, it looks like the prop control cable is 660166-003, Throttle is 660166-7, and mixture is 660166-5.  Google doesn't help me locate the parts by these numbers.

Ship your old cables to McFarland and they will reproduce exact copies under OPP rules. 

• Thanks 1

Finally had a chance to get down to the airport and work again.  I don't feel like I got a ton done, but it's definitely visible progress. I'm working on getting the cables removed (Thanks to @carusoam and @Browncbr1 for the lead on McFarlane an manufacture by example).  I pulled more of the old electronics that are coming out and started untangling the mess of wires behind the panel.  40 years of electrical patches don't make for an easy place to work.  I am working slow and with a purpose.  Thinking through each step like chess to make sure I'm not going to create a new problem for the future. Slow but steady (when work allows).

459957836_cockpitday2.thumb.jpg.a138747988669ec67e02390ed6bca779.jpg240584022_Removalpart2.thumb.jpg.a1ac3a036792f7641427954ac4959290.jpg

Now I have to find some replacement plastics.  The drawings PlanePlastics have on their site don't match my plane.  I guess that's the downside of having the last of a series maybe?  Anyone know any suppliers other than PlanePlastics I can try?

1892057866_oldsidepanel.thumb.jpg.d9a93b46e50507f7fba13cf7b708453d.jpg

• Like 1

65 to 75 didn’t change structurally...  So the older ones would probably fit...

But the 75 does look modern compared to the 65 panels...

Vantage and planeplastics used to be two different companies...

The choices seem to be a bit limited...  some people reconstruct the old broken pieces...

Others have move onto more expensive / nicer options... Typical of a forever plane...

https://www.jaegeraviation.com/spatial-interiors

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

Engine is finally back!  Now it's just a matter of putting it all back together.  Was looking over the engine and found a sensor on the bottom rear of the engine with some damaged wires.  I asked my mechanic about it and he said that the sensor was not used and that the hole was normally plugged.  This doesn't sound right.  Does anyone recognize this and know what it monitors?  First thought was oil temp, but I'm mostly sure that sensor is on top of the engine?

Sensor on bottom of engine.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to make some progress.  Engine is hung and the mechanic is starting to do all the accessory installation and control hookups.  I was there getting ready to install the new CiES senders and they are weird!  So the bolt pattern means that the senders would be mounted upside down, or at least the stickers on the senders will be upside down.  Who else has done the CiES installation?  Are yours installed upside down?

Fuel Sender Mounting.jpg

fuel sender.jpg

23 minutes ago, bob865 said:

So the bolt pattern means that the senders would be mounted upside down, or at least the stickers on the senders will be upside down.  Who else has done the CiES installation?  Are yours installed upside down?

That is correct.

• Thanks 1

You’re probably already aware, but make sure you have a screwdriver capable of tightening each screw to the proper torque.  If not, you run the risk of fuel seeping under the new gaskets.  I actually bought one of these to help get the job done right....

https://capritools.com/product-category/torque-tools/torque-screwdrivers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:50 AM, bob865 said:

Engine is finally back!  Now it's just a matter of putting it all back together.  Was looking over the engine and found a sensor on the bottom rear of the engine with some damaged wires.  I asked my mechanic about it and he said that the sensor was not used and that the hole was normally plugged.  This doesn't sound right.  Does anyone recognize this and know what it monitors?  First thought was oil temp, but I'm mostly sure that sensor is on top of the engine?

Sensor on bottom of engine.jpg

That is your Tanis oil heating element.  It looks like it’s been removed without unplugging the 2 wires before removing it.  The oil suction screen is under the cap.

Clarence

10 hours ago, M20Doc said:

That is your Tanis oil heating element.  It looks like it’s been removed without unplugging the 2 wires before removing it.  The oil suction screen is under the cap.

Clarence

Is that a standard Lycoming part?  I'm guessing not since you said Tanis.  Or is that something that would have been added by another owner and returned because I did an overhaul and it was there when it was sent off?

On 5/8/2020 at 12:45 PM, bob865 said:

Finally had a chance to get down to the airport and work again.  I don't feel like I got a ton done, but it's definitely visible progress. I'm working on getting the cables removed (Thanks to @carusoam and @Browncbr1 for the lead on McFarlane an manufacture by example).  I pulled more of the old electronics that are coming out and started untangling the mess of wires behind the panel.  40 years of electrical patches don't make for an easy place to work.  I am working slow and with a purpose.  Thinking through each step like chess to make sure I'm not going to create a new problem for the future. Slow but steady (when work allows).

459957836_cockpitday2.thumb.jpg.a138747988669ec67e02390ed6bca779.jpg240584022_Removalpart2.thumb.jpg.a1ac3a036792f7641427954ac4959290.jpg

Now I have to find some replacement plastics.  The drawings PlanePlastics have on their site don't match my plane.  I guess that's the downside of having the last of a series maybe?  Anyone know any suppliers other than PlanePlastics I can try?

1892057866_oldsidepanel.thumb.jpg.d9a93b46e50507f7fba13cf7b708453d.jpg

Dude! Nice! You are missing one significant upgrade. Those 1975 Mongo yokes need to go! ;)

2038801864_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.5885d5313d78a214b539e4e39203c216.jpg

And for your interior work, you may want to look at Bruce Jaeger’s Spatial Designs to replace the lower panels and teach you the technique to repair the upper panels in case you can’t find replacements.

be114dc1c6d8d87ded3bb81d58ebdf80.jpgac5d2dc2228fbe86549badebb59bacb6.jpg49f36417e8418b533bbbce02ac14240c.jpgbcf40baa7e9dcf7077bd28f75ddce365.jpg4cc05d7a47ad1ecd0518353d20624e71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bob865 said:

Starting to make some progress.  Engine is hung and the mechanic is starting to do all the accessory installation and control hookups.  I was there getting ready to install the new CiES senders and they are weird!  So the bolt pattern means that the senders would be mounted upside down, or at least the stickers on the senders will be upside down.  Who else has done the CiES installation?  Are yours installed upside down?

Fuel Sender Mounting.jpg

fuel sender.jpg

Bob - I have CiES in my 75 F and yes, they go in upside down. Does your 75 E have 4 senders? This thread I created might help you: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

Is that a standard Lycoming part?  I'm guessing not since you said Tanis.  Or is that something that would have been added by another owner and returned because I did an overhaul and it was there when it was sent off?

Bob - Tanis is an aftermarket engine heater. I am not familiar with the Tanis components (I have a Reiff system) but here is their website: https://www.tanisaircraft.com/product/piston-preheat/tsp4cyl-2925-115

• Like 1