New Aspen Software Released

All, 

The software that addresses the infrequent but potential reset issue of Evolution MAX series displays was released late last week and is available through your local dealers. 

As mentioned in the Operator Advisory, if you have not experienced a reboot, the likelihood that you do is minimal. However, the software upgrade to 2.10.2 is considered MANDATORY and should be done before operating your aircraft outside the guidance of the issued Operator Advisory. 

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us or to your dealer directly. 

Thank you again for the patience through this all. 

• Like 4

From what I understand (and I was checking in regularly as my MAX upgrades were on hold while this was fixed) a software patch was applied after approval by the FAA.

RCA is probably completed and filed away somewhere, but I usually find a software patch either fixes another software bug or addresses something changed from the original spec hardware-wise.

I have an Aspen EFD 1000. I held off upgrading because I have a lot of experience building embedded systems (including DO-178 compliant systems) and I can pretty much guarantee things like this will happen. I don't know what RTOS Aspen uses, but it takes something like a kernel panic in a Unix system to cause a reboot which is a pretty serious failure. I would feel a lot more comfortable if Aspen would explain the root cause and the nature of the fix. The whole thing has been too mysterious: If it hasn't happened to you it probably won't? This is a deterministic system.

Skip

• Like 1

All, 

I do not know the specifics of the fix. I do know that it was very specific to a point that we were able to isolate it. At the time of release we had about 10,000 hours running the SW without a failure (multiple units running 24 hours a day). I am sorry I do not have any more details. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1