How do I see VNAV on G5 from a 750

Dear experts. I have two G5s paired with a GTN 750. The G5s displays glideslopes from the 750 just fine (ILS, LPV, visual glideslopes etc), but it does not display any VNAV glideslope from the altitude constraints entered into the flight plan. On the 750, I see the TOD marker and get the "1 minute to descent" alarms when I have set altitude constraints in the flight plan. But I've never seen that show as a VNAV glideslope on the G5, which according to the G5 manual (and garmin) it should support.

Is there a setting to enable this VNAV glideslope to show up on the G5 or is something misconfigured?

30 minutes ago, emilpemil said:

Dear experts. I have two G5s paired with a GTN 750. The G5s displays glideslopes from the 750 just fine (ILS, LPV, visual glideslopes etc), but it does not display any VNAV glideslope from the altitude constraints entered into the flight plan. On the 750, I see the TOD marker and get the "1 minute to descent" alarms when I have set altitude constraints in the flight plan. But I've never seen that show as a VNAV glideslope on the G5, which according to the G5 manual (and garmin) it should support.

Is there a setting to enable this VNAV glideslope to show up on the G5 or is something misconfigured?

I have the same issue with two G 5's and a GTN 650....let us know if you figure it out.....

I even dial in an altitude on the G5 that is lower,,,thought by not doing that it was the issue but it still does not work

Edited by Jim Peace

Have you enabled VNAV on the GTN 750 or do you still have VCALC?  Go to Utilities then VNAV.  Do you have a BARO altitude source hooked into the GTN 750?  I'll have to look on my G5 the next time I go flying. I'm pretty sure it shows up.   Usually, I'm just looking on the TXi for that information.

5 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Have you enabled VNAV on the GTN 750 or do you still have VCALC?  Do you have a BARO altitude source hooked into the GTN 750?  I'll have to look on my G5 the next time I go flying.  Usually, I'm just looking on the TXi for that information.

Yes to both. The 750 is set to VNAV, I confirmed this in the configuration page myself. It also gets the altimeter setting from the G5 as far as I can see in the inputs, but I do not know if there's something else that need to be enabled there.

29 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

If you go to the flightplan page, then touch the menu button, then touch VNAV profile; is VNAV enabled?

Also, start the 750 in setup mode, go to Navigation, then Vertical Navigation, then touch VNAV instead of VCALC to enable VNAV instead of VCAL in the Utilities menu when the 750 is started normally.  V should highlight in magenta 1 minute from TOD and a magenta carrot descent on the GP until centered, at which time, if you don't have a GFC 500, you must manually follow the magenta carrot on the V/S side of the G5 to keep the carrot on the altitude side centered.  Of equal importance is having a flight plan in the 750, being on a leg of that flight plan with an altitude constraint, or direct to a waypoint in the flight plan with an altitude constraint, and having the 750 in GPS mode (not LOC).   If you've followed all of this and you don't get the V in place of G and magenta indicators by 1 minute from TOD,  then it's time to take it to the shop for a possible wiring error. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Of equal importance is having a flight plan in the 750, being on a leg of that flight plan with an altitude constraint, or direct to a waypoint in the flight plan with an altitude constraint, and having the 750 in GPS mode (not LOC).   If you've followed all of this and you don't get the V in place of G and magenta indicators by 1 minute from TOD,  then it's time to take it to the shop for a possible wiring error. 

I use the acronym VNAV to remember the requirements for using VNAV on the GFC500:

V ertical constraint set.

N avigating along a magenta line.

A ltitude bug set to an altitude below my current altitude.

V NAV selected on the GMC507

• Like 1

Thanks Don for confirming how it is supposed to work, that helps me be confident it is not working correctly.

Bob, I will try all the steps you mentioned next time I fly. I wonder if I haven't been setting the altitude bug at the correct time (but I think I have at least tried setting it really early and still never seeing vnav).

And thanks for the input everyone. The 750 is set to VNAV and not VCALC in the configuration. VNAV is also enabled.

I did a very short video today showing the G5 with VNAV.  Sorry, but it was a little bumpy coming up on the East Bay Hills.  I had multiple step downs programmed.  I actually noticed something on the G5 for the first time, the little "1" to the right of the deviation bar.  Playing around with the Navigation it turns out to be showing the Nav radio being used,  magenta for GPS 1 or 2 and green for LOC 1 or 2.  It's not in the manual so I think it's a new addition to the display. 

You can compare the displays between the G5 and the G500TXi.  Before you start the video just look at the G5.  "V" is indicated on top in the slope indicator with the magenta carrot showing "on slope".  You can see a little carrot at the bottom of the magenta V/S bar, if you look closely.

Earlier, I ran the approach into Byron (C83) with multiple step downs.  "V" appeared until one waypoint before the FAF, as VNAV stops at that point with the GFC 500, then changed to "G" in anticipation of GP intercept.  It worked perfectly including getting the biggest fuel price surprise in the past 20 years.  Garmin Pilot showed the price to be $3.50, but in reality it was $2.95.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cuwTvNBeE1rsbZEx5

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Don,

I’m no technical genius... I clicked the button but didn’t see a video...

often, MSers drop the video into YouTube.... and put the link here...

Best regards,

-a-

Here's a new link.  I changed the link above, too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cuwTvNBeE1rsbZEx5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

FYI.  I have the 650 with the Aspen Promax and I always get vertical guidance on RNAV approaches in addition to the LPV’s

I suspect you mean usually.  I usually get vertical guidance too.  However, there are some approaches that I don't, like the one to my home airport: RNAV A to S50.  I suspect nobody gets vertical guidance on an approach that is circling only.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:28 AM, Stanton R said:

You have to change the 429 output on the GTN that goes to the GAD 29B to 'GARMIN 429'

Thanks so much for this pointer, you're absolutely right! I changed the setting on the 750 and VNAV now shows up when I expect it to.

I also found it described in the Garmin G5 installation manual (http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_21.pdf) under 5.8.2 GTN 6XX/7XX Configuration.

Thanks everyone else for the input!

• 3 years later...
On 4/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, Stanton R said:

You have to change the 429 output on the GTN that goes to the GAD 29B to 'GARMIN 429'

The gift that keeps on giving. I had the same problem with my G5 and GTN650. This simple change brought the VNAV indicator onto the G5 for crossing altitude restrictions and such. Thanks!

IMG_4151.jpeg