201 Oil Change Method

m100psi

47 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Couldn’t get it on the A3B6. Might work on the dual mag A3B6D. 
Skip

Mine has the dual mag, A1B6D (it might be an A3B6D, I dunno), and I couldn't get it to work, either.    I wonder what the differences are between it fitting or not.   Meanwhile I just let it sit and then take it off dry.   Other people claim that doesn't work for them, so who knows...  ;)

On 4/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, Mufflerbearing said:

Camguard appears to be a good product to help protect/coat the internals from rust.  If your plane is flown regularly, this should not be a problem and the additive should not be needed.  If your plane sits for weeks/months at a time, then camguard may be a really good solution for you.  Another route is to purchase something like Aero Shell Plus that has the camguard already in the oil.  When adding oil, the camguard additive won't be diluted.

Aero shell plus doesn’t really have cam guard in it. While it does have anti corrosion additives... it’s not cam guard. In fact, aero shell for whatever reason says that if cam guard was necessary, all aviation engine oils would offer it.

in other words, for every advocate, there’s a polar opposite.

that said... if mine sat much, I’d probably put it in there. Iron lifters are the reason... they should call it lifter guard lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, Sandman993 said:

Aero shell plus doesn’t really have cam guard in it. While it does have anti corrosion additives...

I believe it has _anti scuffing_ additives, not _anti corrosion_ ones - IOW the LW-16702.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:09 PM, amillet said:

Stuff a disposable baby diaper under the filter (after letting it drain for a day or two); plus zip lock bag

Now I’ve heard everything! I thought PVC pipes, tin foil, ziplock bags, etc etc, were bad enough,  and now throw in diapers?! Why not! :lol:
What I do is right after flying hook up the drain hose to the quick drain and crack open the oil filler. Then come back a couple days later and finish the oil change. Not a drop of oil to when I remove the filter. Nice and neat with no mess and no fuss! Patience is the key. 

45 minutes ago, PTK said:

Now I’ve heard everything! I thought PVC pipes, tin foil, ziplock bags, etc etc, were bad enough,  and now throw in diapers?! Why not! :lol:
What I do is right after flying hook up the drain hose to the quick drain and crack open the oil filler. Then come back a couple days later and finish the oil change. Not a drop of oil to when I remove the filter. Nice and neat with no mess and no fuss! Patience is the key. 

For me that would be like leaving the patient in the chair for 2 or 3 days when they only came in for a cleaning.  Not very profitable when you’re in business.

Clarence

Yet another technique for the list.  I use a small plastic funnel with a few feet of clear vinyl tubing attached.  Place the funnel under the bottom rear of the filter holding it in place with a piece of safety wire.  Then using a scratch awl, punch a small hole at the back of the filter (closest to the pilot side direction as possible), unscrew the filter about 1/3 turn, punch an air hole at the top and let it drain.  If the oil is warm it only takes a few minutes to completely empty the filter.

---Ken

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 6:00 PM, M20Doc said:

For me that would be like leaving the patient in the chair for 2 or 3 days when they only came in for a cleaning.  Not very profitable when you’re in business.

Clarence

welcome to medicare for all :) (sorry couldnt resist)

I thought the oil filter would always be almost half full, with the port in the center the oil below the port would remain in the filter? (port may be the wrong word, i used drain originally but didn't think that was correct either)

Like the Form a funnel above.  I have a piece of light weight alum and custom cut with snippers.   Think old house gutter.    Then i take a wad of blue shop towels from the trash.   I use these to clean the wing of bugs.  Stuff them under the filter to catch the drips.  Bucket under the guide.

8 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

welcome to medicare for all :) (sorry couldnt resist)

That would be free medical for all, regardless of birth and political affiliation.

Clarence