Edm900 fuel alarm driving me batty

Is there a way to fix this?  The unit starts a low fuel alarm when one tank is at about 6 gallons.  If I switch to the other tank at the alarm, the low fuel alarm continues because the other tank is at the alarm level.

its quite irritating and will lead to me ignoring the flashing red light.  Reaching over and pressing clear every 30 seconds is also untenable.  

i read the pilots guide and don’t see a solution for this.

• Thanks 1

Is there a way to fix this?  The unit starts a low fuel alarm when one tank is at about 6 gallons.  If I switch to the other tank at the alarm, the low fuel alarm continues because the other tank is at the alarm level.
its quite irritating and will lead to me ignoring the flashing red light.  Reaching over and pressing clear every 30 seconds is also untenable.  

There are two fuel quantity warnings. One is the amount of fuel used and the other is a pre-alarm. I suspect your pre-alarm is set for 6 and it will alarm if either tank is at that level.

Follow the programming instructions and look for the circled item. Click yes and check to see what it is set for.

4aea32ce0ac7dde9398afbe6f486305a.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

There are two fuel quantity warnings. One is the amount of fuel used and the other is a pre-alarm. I suspect your pre-alarm is set for 6 and it will alarm if either tank is at that level.

Follow the programming instructions and look for the circled item. Click yes and check to see what it is set for.

4aea32ce0ac7dde9398afbe6f486305a.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not seeing how that’s going to fix it.  I’ll either have no alarm at all or have to live with the blinking light and warning on the screen.  I ran one tank dry to see if that would “fix” it.  Nope. I just got a continuous (every 20-30 seconds) flashing red light.

I can’t see how to change the fuel alarm to an overall low fuel warning, VS a warning per tank.

I think your installer forgot to include the necessary black electrical tape...it takes care of all blinking light problems. At least yours doesn’t come on every takeoff when most pilots are on high alert for engine abnormalities. Almost makes me want to rip it out of the panel.

38 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I can’t see how to change the fuel alarm to an overall low fuel warning, VS a warning per tank.

You're probably going to have to check with JPI on this one as I think it will require a software update to only give a single alarm when a tank drops below your set value, or an option to have it alarm on total fuel remaining. I have an EDM900 installed in a CH2000 and had the same issue. I set the value to zero and I use @Marauder's technique of alarming fuel used, but I always start with the same fuel level in that airplane so it works for me. I vary the starting fuel load in my Mooney so it wouldn't work as well there.

@gsxrpilot may have some ideas, I believe he has an EDM900 in his airplane.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

Yes, I've got the EDM900 but I think the difference is that I don't have the Remote Annunciator Light. The display does flash Low Fuel when I get down to about 9 gal in a given tank. I have to push the button the clear the Low Fuel, but it doesn't come back immediately. Sometimes it comes back after a few minutes, but it's not as annoying as a flashing light.

There is some dispute as to whether the RAL is required if the unit is installed on the left side in direct view of the pilot. The shop that did my install took the view that it wasn't required.  

5 hours ago, Junkman said:

You're probably going to have to check with JPI on this one as I think it will require a software update to only give a single alarm when a tank drops below your set value, or an option to have it alarm on total fuel remaining. I have an EDM900 installed in a CH2000 and had the same issue. I set the value to zero and I use @Marauder's technique of alarming fuel used, but I always start with the same fuel level in that airplane so it works for me. I vary the starting fuel load in my Mooney so it wouldn't work as well there.

@gsxrpilot may have some ideas, I believe he has an EDM900 in his airplane.

Cheers,
Rick

Seems kind of stupid to force a warning light that doesn’t mean anything.  It only serves to program you to ignore it....

5 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I think your installer forgot to include the necessary black electrical tape...it takes care of all blinking light problems. At least yours doesn’t come on every takeoff when most pilots are on high alert for engine abnormalities. Almost makes me want to rip it out of the panel.

Yeah, that could be installed, but the display on the edm flashes too....hard to tape over that lol

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yes, I've got the EDM900 but I think the difference is that I don't have the Remote Annunciator Light. The display does flash Low Fuel when I get down to about 9 gal in a given tank. I have to push the button the clear the Low Fuel, but it doesn't come back immediately. Sometimes it comes back after a few minutes, but it's not as annoying as a flashing light.

There is some dispute as to whether the RAL is required if the unit is installed on the left side in direct view of the pilot. The shop that did my install took the view that it wasn't required.  

I think the problem is I need to run it down a little more but not so much that it's really "low".  If I change it right at the warning, the sender (cies) bounces a little and trips the warning again and again and again.  

On 4/25/2020 at 8:54 AM, ragedracer1977 said:

Same problem here - I previously rarely would run a tank low, but now I feel more confidence to do so after getting CiES senders along with a firmware upgrade.  It's a stupid software design I think, and the menus changed after the firmware upgrade, and I'm struggling to get stuff back to how it was before. The alarm starts flashing and then you silence it. Then fuel then swishes a bit above the 6 gallon threshold and the warning potential re-arms itself, and goes off the next time the fuel shifts in the wing.  I suppose you could run it down really low so it couldn't rearm, but that's not really my style and creates another form of distraction being poised for it to run dry. 

6 hours ago, bradp said:

Out of curiosity do hangar elves have access to the factory submenus in the 900/930 like for the 730/830 where the alarm settings are made or is it flashed from firmware? 

According to the manual, its factory set as required by the POH.  I don't see any kind of low fuel warning in the POH, so I don't know where they got that 

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

According to the manual, its factory set as required by the POH.  I don't see any kind of low fuel warning in the POH, so I don't know where they got that 

They had to pull that from not your POH...

Which could be good if you want to have them release you to change it or remove it...

They use the logic that the certified planes have to use primary sensors... that are listed in the POH for your plane...

That makes sense up to the point your plane doesn’t have the annunciator panel with a low fuel level indicator in it...

Some annunciators had such a low level alarm used, three gallons in place of six.... there wasn’t enough time left to do anything with the knowledge...  :)

Except maybe find a better field than the one right below you...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, DXB said:

Same problem here - I previously rarely would run a tank low, but now I feel more confidence to do so after getting CiES senders along with a firmware upgrade.  It's a stupid software design I think, and the menus changed after the firmware upgrade, and I'm struggling to get stuff back to how it was before. The alarm starts flashing and then you silence it. Then fuel then swishes a bit above the 6 gallon threshold and the warning potential re-arms itself, and goes off the next time the fuel shifts in the wing.  I suppose you could run it down really low so it couldn't rearm, but that's not really my style and creates another form of distraction being poised for it to run dry. 

I usually run one tank to empty, like engine quitting empty, when on long cross countries.  If I do that now, I get a warning all the time for low fuel, even though I have nearly 3 hours of fuel remaining.  
I’ll have to send an email to JPI to see if I’m overlooking something.  Seems outlandish that they would require a red warning light flashing all the time when only one tank is empty.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if this instruction from the manual will help: “Tapping the CLEAR button extinguishes the alert for ten minutes whereas holding the CLEAR button turns the alarm off for the remainder of the flight.”  This may or may not help with the fuel level being right at the triggering level and having it send another alarm due to the fuel movement....but it may be worth a try if you haven’t already.

• Like 1

I have over 250 hours on my JPI900 and get the same alarm. But usually I get the low fuel at 6 gallons but I am committed to run that take to empty because I would rather have more fuel in one tank than split tanks. I have to factory fuel level senders and when my left tank is at zero, it will sometimes give an error for not outputting any info. But I never get repeat low fuel alarms like you are say and out of the 250 hours most of the is nonstop XC from KIWA to KMCC, these are my observations. 

Brice,

There is a similar discussion regarding low fuel level indicators in the ship’s annunciator system...

A page or two of reading will have you up to snuff on the technology to breeze through a conversation with JPI...

You should be able to get exactly what you want...

The system being discussed is for the M20J too.

see if you can have it trigger at number higher than the J standard 2.5 gallons... fifteen minutes of fuel may not be enough to go direct to the nearest airport in some places...

Go Ms!

:)

Best regards,

-a-