Got a non-WAAS Garmin 430?

Buying a 1965 Ranger equipped with a Garmin 430 (non-WAAS). Called Garmin to check on upgrading it to full WAAS...$4400, plus an antenna, cabling and labor by the installer. The nice man at Garmin Customer Service also indicated that after May 29, 2020 Garmin would no longer support the 430, only the 430W. If you have a 430, keep that in mind. To me, it looks like the industry is moving away from avionics with any VOR capability (For example, the GNC 355), so to have it available as a backup in the box seems like a plus. Starting from scratch with some old Narco radios is one thing, but to have an existing 430, a King 155 and King transponder already in the panel seems like the WAAS upgrade and a Tailbeacon is the way to go.  Thoughts?

I found this.    Looks like the upgrade is going away but repairs will still be available.  I've pretty much decided the upgrade cost too much and I'd be better off adding a GPS 175 or similar.  

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/service-advisory-2027-end-of-waas-upgrade-for-non-waas-gns-400-500-series/

MARCH 13, 2020 

PRODUCTS AFFECTED:

Garmin GPS 400, GNC 420, GNS 430, GPS 500, and GNS 530 units are affected.

ISSUE:

In order to support future GNS 400W/500W series repairs, Garmin will be ending WAAS upgrades for non-WAAS GNS 400/500 series products on May 29, 2020. WAAS upgrade orders can be placed up until this date, however units must be received by Garmin by June 30, 2020.

Repairs will be available for the non-WAAS 400/500 series 28v units with 16W COM Transmitter and all 14/28v non-WAAS 400/500-series units. These units will not be able to be eligible for the WAAS upgrade after May 29, 2020, but repairs will continue to be available after this date.

We sincerely regret discontinuing service or support on any Garmin product.

Please visit www.Garmin.com/aviation for your product replacement needs.

Servide Advisory 2027 Rev A

38 minutes ago, Stormy105 said:

Buying a 1965 Ranger equipped with a Garmin 430 (non-WAAS). Called Garmin to check on upgrading it to full WAAS...$4400, plus an antenna, cabling and labor by the installer. The nice man at Garmin Customer Service also indicated that after May 29, 2020 Garmin would no longer support the 430, only the 430W. If you have a 430, keep that in mind. To me, it looks like the industry is moving away from avionics with any VOR capability (For example, the GNC 355), so to have it available as a backup in the box seems like a plus. Starting from scratch with some old Narco radios is one thing, but to have an existing 430, a King 155 and King transponder already in the panel seems like the WAAS upgrade and a Tailbeacon is the way to go.  Thoughts?

I would find a good deal on an Avidyne IFD440 and sell the 430. You'll need to switch to a WAAS antenna and may need to change coaxial.

• Like 1

Having WAAS is the key going forwards...

Spending dough on 90s technology May not be the best way to get waas...

Slow processors, low memory, I/O devices of knob twisting your way through the alphabet...

If you have to use 90s technology... do it.

If you don’t... go IFD...

PP thoughts only... I am stuck in the 90s... it’s refreshing... compared to when I was stuck in the 80s... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 9:10 PM, Stormy105 said:

Your thought process is right on and it’s exactly what I would do. Upgrading what you already own through Garmin offers you great value advantage and will be the most economical. Your paid for 430 is a depreciating asset giving you free cash flow! Why lose that? Garmin helps you continue using it by upgrading it, renewing it, factory certifying it and continue servicing it for under 5 grand! If your decision changes and involves spending any $$ above that you should really go for the GTN650. But there’s no need to do that! The WAAS upgrade gives you everything you need for less than half the cost and you’ll be set for years. Your unit gets a fresh new look. You'll be hard pressed to distinguish it from new! One of my hangar neighbors had it done and we thought it was a brand new unit when it came back! Among other things it will get a new faster microprocessor which enables upgraded software and improved graphics and advanced terrain database. And if you so desire you can pair it up to an FS210 which, among other advantages, wirelessly pushes flight plans to and from a portable. This would mitigate the knob twisting on the 430 and bring your capability almost to that of a GTN650! Some would argue on par with a 650! You’d be set!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/597181

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/153681

• Like 1