'66 20E $110,000

Bob_Belville

29 minutes ago, pevanscfi said:

This seems like an incredible deal...
I have just started planning to buy a cross country plane for our small family of 3, and this seems to check all of the boxes for what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I don't think this will still be on the market by the time I am actually ready to pull the trigger. I have just started to work on budgeting, market research, etc.

Out of curiosity, what kind of cruise numbers do you get with all of the mods? Good luck selling.

PS: I am pretty sure that I saw this plane at Oshkosh last year, and if this is the one I remember, it was even more impressive in person.

Thanks!

We were camping with Mooney Caravan last year at KOSH. 

I generally cruise at 145-150 ktas LOP at gross weight. (8.7 gph is 65% power.) If I'm looking for maximum range I'll dial in 8.0 gph. With 64 gallons fuel and CiES accurate fuel gauges that's close to 7 hours plus VFR reserves or close to 1000 nm, no wind. Last summer my grandson and I non-stopped Grand Canyon to Oklahoma City and then Oklahoma City to home drome in Western NC. Little or no help from winds.   

• Like 3

I should be clear, I am not in a hurry to sell. Selling is recognition that I'm not Methuselah.

The only place I've mentioned selling is here on MS.

I'd be happy to continue to fly for months, particularly since most of us are locked in. 

If I get to where I need to move it I can call Jimmy. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I should be clear, I am not in a hurry to sell.

Personally I think you should hold out until someone there in Carolina is ready to buy it and leave a set of keys with you. It might take at least a couple of years of flying with the new guy to properly transition him to that particular M20E. And then you should have Emeritus status and lifetime access to that SUPER 21.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

I should be clear, I am not in a hurry to sell.

I am trying to get my ducks in a line quickly enough that I may be able to make an offer.
I have a lead on hanger space that may be available in a few months. It will probably take me that long to get current enough again to meet insurance requirements, and likely a good bit longer to talk the wife into letting me buy without ending up with a divorce.

I was originally considering a purchase maybe sometime early next year, but I might be able to be flexible. If you are still looking for a buyer in September that would probably be the earliest timing I could pull off.

PS: If anyone in Northern Metro Atlanta area is looking at this beautiful bird and thinking it is just a little bit out of reach, I am strongly considering a partnership or some similar arrangement.

• Like 1

What Jerry said - this bird is special.  Bob needs to choose the next caretaker like Indiana Jones choosing the right cup.  

It’s also pretty perfectly maintained.  The buyer needs a prebuy - plane not so much. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
@EchoMax has officially moved N943RW to her new home base. Bittersweet for mom/Nancy  -- many great memories -- but also a relief to hand her off for new adventures. 
Sharon (Bob's daughter)

Did he change the N number? Bob’s baby which was ADS-B equipped still shows it last flown in February.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

New owner could be flying with a private call sign/flight ID

I do think you can use a private call sign or flight ID unless you have the ability to use the designation. Really unusual for GA pilot to go through that trouble. If they block it, this is what you see on FlightAware:

8d1af08c6353ed51c49aa1c1d9961e2f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

I do think you can use a private call sign or flight ID unless you have the ability to use the designation. Really unusual for GA pilot to go through that trouble. If they block it, this is what you see on FlightAware:

8d1af08c6353ed51c49aa1c1d9961e2f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take a look at the FAA’s Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program, it's really not difficult and registration can be completed in one day.  The PIA program allows you to change your aircraft’s ICAO address to one associated only with the call sign, severing the link to your aircraft's actual registration.

If you search my real N#, I haven't flown since the 4th of July.  My ADSB-out no longer transmits my real N# but my private N# or flight ID, so someone can't easily put the pieces together without physically being at the airport with a radio and binoculars.

If your neighbor could go to a free website and watch where you are going every time you drove your car,  people would be irate over their freedom/privacy/etc being threatened.  Why pilots are ok with free flight tracking and the FAA publicly publishing pilot/owner information I just can't comprehend...

Sorry for the thread drift!

• Like 2

Take a look at the FAA’s Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program, it's really not difficult and registration can be completed in one day.  The PIA program allows you to change your aircraft’s ICAO address to one associated only with the call sign, severing the link to your aircraft's actual registration.

If you search my real N#, I haven't flown since the 4th of July.  My ADSB-out no longer transmits my real N# but my private N# or flight ID, so someone can't easily put the pieces together without physically being at the airport with a radio and binoculars.

If your neighbor could go to a free website and watch where you are going every time you drove your car,  people would be irate over their freedom/privacy/etc being threatened.  Why pilots are ok with free flight tracking and the FAA publicly publishing pilot/owner information I just can't comprehend...

Sorry for the thread drift!

Unfortunately it’s really convenient for friends and family, they can check on my progress and when I will arrive, just like the airlines.

So you still use real tail number when talking to ATC, or use private #?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Unfortunately it’s really convenient for friends and family, they can check on my progress and when I will arrive, just like the airlines.

So you still use real tail number when talking to ATC, or use private #?

Use the private call sign/flight ID

On 8/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, Marauder said:

Did he change the N number? Bob’s baby which was ADS-B equipped still shows it last flown in February.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Looking back at texts from mom, I may have misinterpreted -- I'm not sure if the bird has actually moved. The ownership did change hands, but it's not clear to me when the move was actually happening -- sounds like there's another airplane getting involved in the KMRN swap. (NC broker will fly the Mooney to WV and return with another plane to broker.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The new owner needs to learn how to use GPSS on the Aspen to make nice straight lines. :)

2071436149_ScreenShot2020-08-18at12_11_41PM.thumb.png.31548b1970e775da31ef8d1c001b1458.png

Ah come on! You and I both know he is hand flying his new baby either because 1) he is getting the feel for her or 2) he hasn't figured out how to turn the AP & GPSS on. :)

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The new owner needs to learn how to use GPSS on the Aspen to make nice straight lines. :)

2071436149_ScreenShot2020-08-18at12_11_41PM.thumb.png.31548b1970e775da31ef8d1c001b1458.png

It was not the owner flying...it was a broker's pilot re-positioning the plane.  But, it does look like he was hand flying. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, sbmetz said:

@EchoMax has officially moved N943RW to her new home base.

The rumor is true! I am the proud new owner of N943RW, aka "Gypsy Rose".

She has been relocated to KBLF.  Transition training is soon to commence.

Bob was obviously a very interesting and intelligent person with meticulous attention to detail.  The logbooks comprise nine volumes with hand-written marginal notes.

The gas caps themselves probably cost more than most small airplanes and have locks--why?  To prevent the Oshkosh crowd from siphoning fuel? :D

• Like 3