Baggage door size/ luggage recommendations

Marek7

Hi team, 

Im away from the Mooney and can't measure so I was hoping somone has dimensions for the baggage door on a M20K.  

Also does anyone have any hard luggage recommendations that work well with the Mooney? 

Marek

23 minutes ago, Marek7 said:

Hi team, 

Im away from the Mooney and can't measure so I was hoping somone has dimensions for the baggage door on a M20K.  

Also does anyone have any hard luggage recommendations that work well with the Mooney? 

Marek

Most carry on luggage suitcases work pretty well.

• Like 1

Hi @Marek7 - apologies, because I know you said hard luggage.  But, if you're ever looking for super-sturdy soft luggage I can highly recommend anything from RedOXX  Especially, they make a line of rectangular bags that are really popular with railroad crews...super sturdy, lifetime warranty, veteran owned...former parachute riggers I think?  The two XXs in the name come from their double-x stitching.  Anyway, these fit great in our E.

Edit to add a direct link to the railroad bags: https://www.redoxx.com/railroad-grip-91003/p

Go easy and simple...

Boat and Tote...  Old style...  :)

Zip top if you need to...

Even the kids can carry their own...

available in camo trim too...

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/677?originalProduct=33381&productId=7176&attrValue_0=Blue Trim&pla1=0&mr%3AtrackingCode=9D6BAF02-BFE7-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr%3AreferralID=NA&mr%3Adevice=c&mr%3AadType=plaonline&qs=3125176&gclid=CjwKCAjw-YT1BRAFEiwAd2WRtuooIzmHvQe8vsL1fs6YAexFo0c13rx6Mf6oKxnmx0tY8gcBjc0WLRoCltsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&SN3=FindabilityProd05_Search&SS3=B

rugged, soft, who cares how dirty it gets... washable...

Easy to have personalized with initials or N number...

You can carry the dog in it if you want to...

The open top is great... if you forget something... send somebody to the back to retrieve it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Traveling in a Mooney is traveling in style.  Many people equate style with fancy things like Louis or Tumi bags and sitting back with a mocha on a jet.  But if you pick soft zip top bags like referenced above, you not only still travel in style in your Mooney because they fit through the baggage door, you have easier access when you ask your travel companion to retrieve that unicorn coloring book the little companion in the back seat is screaming about because she forgot she hated the princess one she carried in her lap for the first 7 minutes of flight.  If The soft bag is overstuffed a little, it can still be finagled through the door too   Wheels and such on rigid bags can really mess up the sides of your luggage compartment if it gets moved too enthusiastically. 

If you are looking for something more rigid for the San Antonio sewer pipe (I mean commercial planes), I just budget for a new bag every few years as the old one gets beat up. Don’t spend a ton on those because A) nice luggage attracts prying eyes, and b) when you see it getting dragged behind the luggage trailer, you don’t think about how much you spent.   I watched a lady go insane on a poor SWA employee at KDAL one night because her LV suitcase got rained on during unloading. That’s not a stylish look. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just measured the baggage door and took the wife to a Samsonite outlet. Found a nice, lightweight, midsize rollaround than fits through the opening only when perpendicular to the skin, and stand on its wheels behind the back seat of our C. It goes in first and comes out last every time. Because the backseat is at an angle, there is room on the floor for a pair of shoes and my shaving kit in front of her bag, but nothing else. It works for us . . . The rest are usually soft bags, my duffel, canvas totes, etc., and they stack nicely.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss something or has no one actually responded to the question. I've gotten an entire full size college student's bicycle in mine and said student was kind of bent over in the right seat as he didn't follow my instructions to handle it differently. Does anyone have the actual numbers?

2 hours ago, Jim Monroe said:

Did I miss something or has no one actually responded to the question. I've gotten an entire full size college student's bicycle in mine and said student was kind of bent over in the right seat as he didn't follow my instructions to handle it differently. Does anyone have the actual numbers?

According to POH, the opening is 20.5” high x 17” wide.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim Monroe said:

Welcome aboard Jim!

Everyone gave a workable answer.

Including work arounds.... for when it doesn’t go through the hole in the wall...

Now we have exact numbers supplied by PT20J...

Anyone can look this stuff up in the POH... 

Sometimes... It takes a lifetime of community experience to make it work.... when the stuff is a 1/2” too wide....

So....

What you saw were the follow-up answers to the question that was going to be asked next...  :)

now... tell us about the full sized college student... and how big was his bike? :)

Best regard,

-a-

On 4/24/2020 at 1:38 AM, MooneyMitch said:

I should add...... I found our later, the piano would not play Country & Western music ! :P

You make it sound like a bad thing... ;-)