Leather vs. Fabric Upholstery

PeytonM

I have an ‘89 J with its original interior, including the fabric upholstery. I figured it’s finally time for an update, and as a first step, I am considering a switch of the upholstery to leather or a combo leather with fabric center. Although I’ve been very satisfied with the wear and comfort of fabric, leather seems to be more “modern;” after all, that’s what manufacturers invariably put in new aircraft. However, I’ve seen many leather interiors in new, expensive airplanes with sheepskin covering on the leather!  What the heck?!  My concerns go back to comfort, especially in the summer, and wear. Since my plane is hangared and I’m based in Chicago, maybe wear would be a non-issue. 

I’d appreciate any experiences or thoughts on your upholstery, leather or fabric. For example, what and why did you pick the upholstery material, what did you learn, and what would you do differently. Thank you in advance for your input. 

10 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

I have an ‘89 J with its original interior, including the fabric upholstery. I figured it’s finally time for an update, and as a first step, I am considering a switch of the upholstery to leather or a combo leather with fabric center. Although I’ve been very satisfied with the wear and comfort of fabric, leather seems to be more “modern;” after all, that’s what manufacturers invariably put in new aircraft. However, I’ve seen many leather interiors in new, expensive airplanes with sheepskin covering on the leather!  What the heck?!  My concerns go back to comfort, especially in the summer, and wear. Since my plane is hangared and I’m based in Chicago, maybe wear would be a non-issue. 

I’d appreciate any experiences or thoughts on your upholstery, leather or fabric. For example, what and why did you pick the upholstery material, what did you learn, and what would you do differently. Thank you in advance for your input. 

I had perforated leather made by SCS and I love it.  Now remember I am hardly living south...but i have visited the south - in the summer - not fully willingly. Anyway the seats were not the problem in the heat.

Chicago - - no problem.  SCS is in Minnesota.  Great product great prices. https://scs-interiors.com

I also had memory foam, and also nice lumbar and also the base of the seats I had them build them out a bit so they were not quite as short to help accommodate my extra long legs.

IMG_1654.JPG

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 5

Hello.

My experience...... I’ve done both when upholstering..... leather and fabric.

Warm and hot weather, fabric has proven to been much cooler than leather.

But, the smell of leather when you first open the door is terrific!!

A combination you’ve mentioned may be your answer ...... fabric for cool/breathable sitting areas, and leather perimeter for that fragrance.

Damn @aviatoreb those are gorgeous!  @PeytonM we live in Arizona, but up north where it's not as hot as in Phoenix...but we regularly fly to hotter locations, including Phoenix, and the leather seats in ours can get warm.  To be honest, I'm not sure perforated leather or fabric would be any different though.  I spent 7 years as a police motorcycle officer in Phoenix, though, and we had perforated seats with a "wooly" sheepskin cover.  I really grew to appreciate that and I've recently been looking at sheepskin covers for our leather seats.  I think I'd be doing that, however, whether we had leather or fabric.  In other words, I'm no help to ya here...

• Like 1

A third option: Vinyl.

....if you're still reading hear me out: Some of the automotive vinyl products are durable, comfortable, and have patterns or grain that simulate leather.

I had my seats redone a couple of years ago, and told the craftsman who rebuilt them I wanted a comfortable and durable seat. I have a young daughter and had (will have another) dog. So far so good.

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

39 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Damn @aviatoreb those are gorgeous!  @PeytonM we live in Arizona, but up north where it's not as hot as in Phoenix...but we regularly fly to hotter locations, including Phoenix, and the leather seats in ours can get warm.  To be honest, I'm not sure perforated leather or fabric would be any different though.  I spent 7 years as a police motorcycle officer in Phoenix, though, and we had perforated seats with a "wooly" sheepskin cover.  I really grew to appreciate that and I've recently been looking at sheepskin covers for our leather seats.  I think I'd be doing that, however, whether we had leather or fabric.  In other words, I'm no help to ya here...

Thanks!

Its all SCS - they are superb.  They did my rugs too.  They have all the patterns to do a mooney without too much trouble and the prices I remember were better than most other options by a good bit - but its been maybe 3 years and so I can't remember....

I just went to their website - and i see they are in the PPE-covid-save the world business these days. So all the more reason to support a good company.

Leather does just smell good.

Pheonix is hot - and I've been there melting more than a handful of times in my life...but not as hot as a good ol' hot and humid Georgia summer.

Sheepskins are awesome. I have a set that I got right before I redid mine so I still have almost new sheepskins waiting until my leather is no longer "as new".  Protect the leather?  Or show the leather.  I show the leather.  Which reminds me of my grandma Sonia.  Who was a frugal lady who walked out of russia with her parents during WWI - a good time to leave russia, and they emigrated to the USA in the late teens.  She lived through a great depression and two world wars.  Very frugal in many ways.  She had a couch with plastic on it full time to protect it.  When she was about 90 and moved to a retirement community she gave me that 40 year old couch that I used to sit on when I was like 5....and she would say, don't sit on the couch!  When she gave it to me, she said, "its new!".

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Thanks!

Its all SCS - they are superb.  They did my rugs too.  They have all the patterns to do a mooney without too much trouble and the prices I remember were better than most other options by a good bit - but its been maybe 3 years and so I can't remember....

I just went to their website - and i see they are in the PPE-covid-save the world business these days. So all the more reason to support a good company.

Leather does just smell good.

Pheonix is hot - and I've been there melting more than a handful of times in my life...but not as hot as a good ol' hot and humid Georgia summer.

Sheepskins are awesome. I have a set that I got right before I redid mine so I still have almost new sheepskins waiting until my leather is no longer "as new".  Protect the leather?  Or show the leather.  I show the leather.  Which reminds me of my grandma Sonia.  Who was a frugal lady who walked out of russia with her parents during WWI - a good time to leave russia, and they emigrated to the USA in the late teens.  She lived through a great depression and two world wars.  Very frugal in many ways.  She had a couch with plastic on it full time to protect it.  When she was about 90 and moved to a retirement community she gave me that 40 year old couch that I used to sit on when I was like 5....and she would say, don't sit on the couch!  When she gave it to me, she said, "its new!".

Love your story!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Immelman said:

A third option: Vinyl.

....if you're still reading hear me out: Some of the automotive vinyl products are durable, comfortable, and have patterns or grain that simulate leather.

I had my seats redone a couple of years ago, and told the craftsman who rebuilt them I wanted a comfortable and durable seat. I have a young daughter and had (will have another) dog. So far so good.

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

Beautiful seats indeed!

I used faux leather this go around in my mini-Mooney.  It is gorgeous and appears as authentic leather.

Certainly not the leather fragrance, but does have a pleasant smell.

The faux leather does not seem to stay cool as did my previous fabric upholstery installation.

My experience only.

E3193A94-F084-4CEE-B250-E27020C543DA.jpeg

I have the “hybrid” answer....I am getting all new plastics, all new carpet, Rosen visors....and as for the seats...I’m keeping my original cloth 1981 seats as they are so comfortable.  That being said, it will be really easy to remove the seats at annual to send them out if I feel I need to change the seats

55 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Fabric.

Less expensive.  Warmer in the winter.  Cooler in the summer.  Easier to take care of.  Better durability, to boot.

True, dat.

But, nothing looks and smells as good as leather...mmmm.

Comes down to functionality vs. pizazz :D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, larryb said:

I would imagine most of the cost is labor and not materials. How much cheaper would cloth really be? In aviation $ I bet it is at all that much.

Looks like 25% more for dead cow on your seats . . . .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PJClark said:

If you have an 89, it probably looks a lot like this...before and after. AeroComfort in San Antonio. Not sure how price compares to @aviatoreb and SCS, but they are NICE!

Memory foam in front seat cushions and backs.

I don't think there is any better interior than Aero Comfort. Hector does amazing work! Not just seats either, as he can resurrect badly sun damaged glareshields as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kortopates said:

I don't think there is any better interior than Aero Comfort. Hector does amazing work! Not just seats either, as he can resurrect badly sun damaged glareshields as well.

Hector will definitely do the interior in my 252 one of these days.

• Like 2

Anybody done leather with sewn-in sheepskin back and bottom? I know the guy that led the flight deck design team for the 757/767 and Boeing determined that the sheepskin was the best material. I think they still use it. Any Boeing drivers want to weigh in on it? I'm thinking about it when I redo the front seats.

Skip

I fly the Airbus, some of our pilots' seats are the sheepskins, some are just plain fabric.  Both are very good.

But the sheepskins do feel softer, better, and more comfortable, and seem to trap farts better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Leather looks and smells really good but it takes care to keep it that way, Cloth generally is cooler and/or warmer when needed. As far as Sheepskin inserts or covers are by far the coolest or warmest when needed too bad they look like crap in my opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

I fly the Airbus, some of our pilots' seats are the sheepskins, some are just plain fabric.  Both are very good.

But the sheepskins do feel softer, better, and more comfortable, and seem to trap farts better.

Would you please expound on your  last comment ? :lol: