1966 M20E Audio Panel upgrade

Hey guys,

I'd love to get your guidance as I look at upgrading my audio panel.

In the panel, pictured below, I have a Narco CP136M audio panel and the Precision Engineering PM1000ii intercom.  The intercom is a two place intercom.  Most of my flying is with four pax in the plane.

I'd like to look at something like a PMA6000B.  But I'm open to other options too - any recommendation is appreciated. I'd really like Bluetooth and four place.  I'm indifferent on marker beacons and USB power.  I don't know if I need mono or stereo.

The plane is a 12V battery with an alternator, an InterAv 015-01237 (12V 50Amp).

What would be a good panel for me to consider?  And how much should I expect to pay in labor installing this one (and removing the old one)?  Anything else I should be thinking about? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

IMG_3536.JPEG

I may be the first one, but likely not the only one, to suggest the PS Engineering PMA 450B. Dual Bluetooth, 4 person intercom, second channel monitor, the list of functions goes on and on.

I think the going price for purchase and install will be in the low $4K area depending on cleanup required to install it. A used one would be less expensive to install, but nobody seems to be giving them up yet.

If you want to see/hear one IRL, get in touch with @gsxrpilot. I think he is at your airport.

• Like 1

^^^^What he said.  Seriously look at the PMA450b.  You can cut down on install costs if you have an A&P willing to work with you.  I just installed a 430w, G5 hsi, amx240, and axp340 in our aircraft.  Went through @Jesse Saint and he hooked me up with the hardware, direct wire harnesses and killer support.

Hey Matt, I can't help you with the audio panel question...but as a fellow '66 E owner with the same "squared" glareshield on a rounded panel, I'll let you know when I make my new rounded glareshield to better fit the shape of the panel.  I've got enough aluminum for a few of them.

you will not go wrong with PSEngineering

personally, i prefer the 8000BT "look" and interface. I like to have more function specific buttons

Another consideration is if you want a USB port

an audio panel is labor intensive as it talks to almost everything you have. getting the right wires lengths .... jacks ....    

Yep +1 for the PMA 450B! A really nice audio panel makes a huge difference in the cockpit. It's a much bigger improvement than I anticipated. 

I'm happy to show you the PMA 450B if you'd like to see it and try it out. I can probably meet you up at BJC in the next day or so.

In early 2016 I went from a KMA24 to a PS 7000BT because it was cheaper than doing the top of the line at the time and it was lightyears ahead of what I had. Even the labor was a little cheaper since there was a common plug between the KMA24 and the 7000. That was a stupid decision.

The little I saved wasn't worth missing the extra features of the 8000 & up PS Engineering products. If you spend a little more, you'll forget about what you spent the day you pick it up, If you spend a little less you'll kick yourself every time you look at it.

• Like 2

I'd recommend an PSE PMA8000G,  if you're gonna have it torn apart for an audio panel may as well go all the way to stereo.

I absolutely love this audio panel in my M20E.  The multiple bluetooth channels and the dimensional audio are amazing.

I love picking up IFR clearances by just CALLING clearance delivery while i'm sitting at the end of a runway, easier than talking to them over the radio.

also, i will deny it if you ever bring it up, the ability to mute everything but what you care about is invaluable.

also, far as i can tell, the only diff between a pma450b and an PMA8000g is an lcd screen and price.

PS Engineering seems to be the general consensus.  Paul has the 450 and I couldn't believe how nice it was to listen to ATIS and traffic at the same time. With the audio being split left to right you can choose where to focus.

I have the 8000BT.  Probably about 1k lower cost and still a great unit.  Has bluetooth but no USB and hard to distinguish more than one audio source at a time.  I am also at BJC if you want to see and hear what it sounds like.

It all comes down to money.  The 450 is a great unit, has more features and costs more money.  One may be in my future but not at the top of the list for my next steps.

1 minute ago, Matt Ward said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  So far the only quote I've received is $3k install + the equipment.  Is that in line with what you'd expect?

$2295 from @Avionics Source. But then you have to find someone willing to install it.

Just now, Warren said:

It all comes down to money.  The 450 is a great unit, has more features and costs more money.  One may be in my future but not at the top of the list for my next steps.

@Avionics Source will take that 8000BT in on trade towards the 450B :D Like you said, it's only money.

• Thanks 1

Your PM 1000ii is one of the best 4 place intercoms ever sold.  The previous owner simply didn't pay to have the rear seats hooked up.

I bet your avionics shop could do the work for less than $500, your local A&P even less.

With that said, when you get around to major avionics work, that will be the best time to install a great all-in-one intercom/audio panel.

EDIT- if you're willing to do the hard grunt work of removing/installing your interior and side panels, it could be downright cheap.

• Like 1

Installing audio panels is expensive...

So many wires going to distant places...

Stereo wasn’t very important back in the day...

Today, it helps you identify who is talking with 3D sound...

Check the details of what you have, see if you can finish the install for what you want...

If it’s a forever plane... get all four seats wired for stereo...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-