Carpet replacement

3 hours ago, Woodpile said:

Sorry, not the fuel caps, leaking on my carpet from the tank selector lever. Just enough to leave a bit of fuel moisture. I assume there is an o-ring to replace on the lever. I didn't find any o-rings or seals listed in the part manual drawing.4FDCE85E-63C6-41A2-A624-056BDD1A7627.jpeg

No fuel leak is good or safe.  Get it fixed no matter how small

You're far better off sending it to LASAR BUT if you disassemble it do it ONLY over a clean white towel and be looking for the very small ball bearing used for the detent. It has a penchant for running away. 

Use only a brass oring seal remover for the oring inside the shaft hole. Its aluminum and a steel screwdriver will ruin it. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, cliffy said:

No fuel leak is good or safe.  Get it fixed no matter how small

You're far better off sending it to LASAR BUT if you disassemble it do it ONLY over a clean white towel and be looking for the very small ball bearing used for the detent. It has a penchant for running away. 

Use only a brass oring seal remover for the oring inside the shaft hole. Its aluminum and a steel screwdriver will ruin it. 

If you dont know exactly what you are doing, pay the hr labor to have it done by someone who does. It can kill you if done incorrectly. While not rocket science (hardly anything an A$P does is), the penalties for not doing it right are very high

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 9:08 PM, Htmlkid said:

I am the owner pilot and I have 15 hours of instruction in this plane. 5 from the previous owner who is a CFI and also 10 hours from a local CFI and neither mentioned doing this ever time I start the plane. It’s also no in any checklist I have. Where is it written this must be done before every flight and why? I do drain fuel from each wing prior to flying to check for water and after each refuel. 

I sump wings every flight and fuel selector valve every few weeks or monthly.  (never found water)  If I was getting fuel from an unfamiliar pump, I will sump the selector after 15 min settling.   Sump into mason jar sitting on a 5 gallon bucket upside down and use left over blue juice to wipe up messes.  If you have found water in any sump, your frequency should be greater than 1 per month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB4 said:

I sump wings every flight and fuel selector valve every few weeks or monthly.  (never found water)  If I was getting fuel from an unfamiliar pump, I will sump the selector after 15 min settling.   Sump into mason jar sitting on a 5 gallon bucket upside down and use left over blue juice to wipe up messes.  If you have found water in any sump, your frequency should be greater than 1 per month. 

After 29 years I still sump at the fuel selector before every flight. I have yet to find anything but being a dedicated checklister, I still sump them. OCD? :)

• Like 2

I sump at three points as well, the screens on the pickup tubes in the tanks will allow some pretty big chucks to pass, the screen in the fuel valve is fairly fine and can easily get restricted. The time it takes is nothing compared to having to walk back to the airport :D

• Haha 1

I called LASAR, they have a seal kit (on the way). Anyhting that is $54 in aviation, I'll just buy and be thankful.  I have a very trusted mechanic who also owned many Mooneys, and my annual next month. This is not something I would go after with my very low fixed wing experience and no formal maintenance skills.

• Like 1