Electronic Ignition=STC

banjo

I have been using a LASAR ignition for several yes. It works great. In the past I had difficulties starting the engine. After installing the LASAR it starts much easier. I also like the fact that I now have the LASAR plus two magnetos as a backup. Does it make a difference in terms if mpg, I really don't know...

Quote: jbs007

Lol.  You Excel at humor compared to me.

Nice work.  I would like to have Access to your humor database.

My humor begins with a positive Outlook on life!

Sounds like quite a Project to me.

As long as the Numbers match.

• 5 years later...
On 9/13/2011 at 3:44 PM, Jerry 5TJ said:

I'd like to see my M20C approved for automobile gas as part of the STC for electronic ignition.   Here in California where there is currently a lawsuit against the sale of 100LL such a conversion is rapidly looking more interesting.  If we compare the cost of such a conversion and STC (let's call it $10K for the O-360-A1D) and if autogas is $2 cheaper than 100LL, it will be a break-even in 500 flight hours.  That's a pretty good return on investment -- especially compared to scrapping the airplane due to no 100LL.  

Will never happen. California gas contains ethanol. The FAA will never allow ethanol in aircraft.

-Robert

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Will never happen. California gas contains ethanol. The FAA will never allow ethanol in aircraft.

Thanks for reviving my six-year-old post. In that short span of time:

• 100LL is still available, to my surprise 
  • The California lawsuit I mentioned was dismissed 
  • Most automobile gasoline sold nationwide still contains ethanol derived from corn.

I'd guess you're right: Automobile gasoline is not going to replace 100LL, especially for higher compression engines such as your IO-360.  

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Thanks for reviving my six-year-old post. In that short span of time:

• 100LL is still available, to my surprise 
  • The California lawsuit I mentioned was dismissed 
  • Most automobile gasoline sold nationwide still contains ethanol derived from corn.

I'd guess you're right: Automobile gasoline is not going to replace 100LL, especially for higher compression engines such as your IO-360.  

But have you noticed the new signs around airports in CA warning residence that aircraft lead may cause health problems. It’s a first step. 

-Robert