KC 290 pitch roll adjust

On my KFC 200 autopilot the lateral command bar the KI 525A HSI is skewed slightly off to the left as is the heading bug. I have a vague recollection that many years ago an avionics tech adjusted the KC 290 Mode Selector while in flight to center up the lateral command bar. I am I remembering this correctly or is there another way to make this adjustment?

That probably would be called a calibration step for the HSI...

Done when it gets paired to a different radio... to match the output to the display...

The secret procedure is probably documented in the installation manual...

A search may find it around here...

And we have an MSer or two that really know their BK equipment that can rattle this stuff off...

Shouldn’t be too hard.

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/22/2020 at 7:56 PM, rotorman said:

On my KFC 200 autopilot the lateral command bar the KI 525A HSI is skewed slightly off to the left as is the heading bug. I have a vague recollection that many years ago an avionics tech adjusted the KC 290 Mode Selector while in flight to center up the lateral command bar. I am I remembering this correctly or is there another way to make this adjustment?

If both the HDG bug and CDI track off the same direction, you are a good candidate for a simple roll centering adjust. Has something changed recently?

Bob Weber

Autopilot consultant

webairconsulting.com

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, rotorman said:

Nothing has changed. I have been living with this for some time. I really can't remember when I first discovered it. On the Beechtalk forum they did discuss a problem like this and claimed the pot on the underside of the KC 290 solved the issue.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=92161

Yep, give me a quick call, 616 822 1999

"I'm glad if I can help with a question or two, or perhaps some advice.

If it gets more involved, you can decide to proceed at that time."

An excerpt from my website...

You have a simple issue, I guide people thru the easy ones in hopes they remember me when they encounter the hard ones!

Bob Weber

webairconsulting.com

On 4/28/2020 at 5:10 AM, Bob Weber said:

Yep, give me a quick call, 616 822 1999

"I'm glad if I can help with a question or two, or perhaps some advice.

If it gets more involved, you can decide to proceed at that time."

An excerpt from my website...

You have a simple issue, I guide people thru the easy ones in hopes they remember me when they encounter the hard ones!

Bob Weber

webairconsulting.com

Thanks for offering the help but for now I think I'm OK.

Using the guidance from the beechtalk forum, I flew the airplane on a smooth day. By adjusting the roll pot on the KC290 I was able correct the course and heading bug deviations on the KI 525 A. 

My other problem was uncommanded autopilot disconnects. These were intermittent but seemed more prevalent in turbulent conditions.  I cleaned the KC290 contacts on the connector and the contact on the autopilot engage switch. After a couple of flights I no longer have disconnects but I won't say that problem is permanently fixed until I get a few more hours on it.

• Like 1