I'll bet you watch this video all the way through.

Eight8Victor

My favorite museum.

Last time I was there, I was the only one in the place.

I kept hearing this voice from God saying “Don’t touch the aircraft”. I only touched the painted parts... 

OK, I just watched the video. The last time I was there there weren’t ropes around the aircraft, my bad...

Here is a story about the museum that I should pursue.

A friend of mine who died a few years ago, grew up with a father who was a big time hotel manager. His youth involved living in his own suit and having free unlimited room service every day. He spent about a year living in the Waldorf Astoria. While there he spent a lot of time exploring the hidden spaces of the place. He found some reels of nitrate film in a box in the attic. So he made off with it.

Fast forward about 15 years. Jeffie was working for a television studio in Phoenix and one of their clients was sending a bunch of nitrate film out for restoration. He snuck his reels in with the rest. 

I got to see the video recovered from the film. It is original unedited film from what looks like the Caproni bomber in the AF. Museum. It is very old.it was filmed from the front gun turret. The plane is buzzing the buildings in Manhattan. The camera pans back a few times and you can clearly see the pilots, engines and everything about the plane. There is about 20 min of film. 

I need to contact his wife and see if the video still exists. It needs to be at the museum.

• Like 4

Wow, the US Air Force has some incredible museums.    I've not been to the one at Wright-Patterson AFB.  Gotta go.

I've been to the one at Warner Robbins AFB, which is completely awesome and laid back, with active B-17 restoration happening in an adjacent hangar that was just open to the public (as of a few years ago anyway)  https://www.museumofaviation.org/

I've also been to the SAC Museum at Offutt AFB, which is not too shabby either..   https://sacmuseum.org/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neilpilot said:

My first and last visit was during my first xc flight after passing my private flight test. In a club C182 based at KIAG, in 1972. After watching the video it looks like there’s been a few upgrades. Maybe it’s time for a revisit.

The video shows less than half of the museum. It would be a challenge to see everything in a full day. The last time I visited they had just installed the Memphis Belle along with some peripheral items related to her. I spent two hours just in that section. 
Here is a great video of the unveiling ceremony:

• Like 3

Excellent video posted,  @Eight8Victor.  The AF museum in Dayton is absolutely amazing.  And free admission!   I went a few times as a kid and had a few hours to kill in Dayton one day on a business trip just a couple years ago.   I basically blasted through on my own to see a few planes I really remembered as a kid.  The XB-70 is still gorgeous, and I particularly love the post war dawn of the jet age.  You used to be able to get a tour of their restoration hangar, don’t think you can anymore.   Well worth a trip, to Dayton for a weekend.  Only unfortunate part is you can’t fly right to the museum.  You’ve gotta go to a GA airport and get a ride over. 

Hmm, maybe a meet up idea?  

• Like 2