Oil leak back firewall. Leaks down to nos gear doors

Hello all I have a leak I noticed that started after a 3 hour flight. Nose gear doors full of oil and a puddle in aft firewall. Possibly from prop governor. I want to do a engine run on the ground but don’t know what settings I should use to properly test the prop to see if it’s coming from there. Thanks In advance all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jpaultaboda said:

The engine just came out of IRAN

How about starting with...

• Airplane you own
  • Where you're located
  • What maintenance was done recently
  • A little history on the airplane itself and how you were operating the AC during the last flight or two leading up to this...in other words, observations you made (besides the obvious oil leaks)

This helps establish a better problem statement and will allow others to help you troubleshoot.  To @neilpilot's point, shockingly-enough, more MSCs than I care to count have screwed up folks' airplanes in some way - both here and outside this forum.

There are many exceptional maintenance-savvy folks on here.  "Help them to help you".  :-)

Steve

• Like 1

Here’s where I would start. 1. Remove the upper and lower cowling. 2. Check the security of all accessories and hoses.  3. Wash the engine with solvent to remove all the oil and let dry. 4. Do a normal run up. 5. Check for leaks. 

• Like 3

Might I suggest

1) go to smile.amazon.com and select Mooney Summit, Inc. as your charity.

2) order https://smile.amazon.com/Aircraft-Tool-Supply-Magnaflux-Spotcheck/dp/B005VR2RDK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YT8T4EKK5Q3T&dchild=1&keywords=magnaflux+developer&qid=1587478081&sprefix=magnaflux%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

3) COMPLETELY CLEAN the engine and suspected areas of leak with mineral spirits and a sprayer.

4) Spray any suspected areas with the Magnaflux developer

5) Ground run hard for 10 Minutes

6) The source of the leak will be obvious

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jpaultaboda said:

Update. It’s coming from the pressure relief valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine oil pressure relief valve or propeller governor pressure relief valve?

Clarence

Hard to tell from your picture.  First off, from the gear door picture, you have a problem.  Don't fly it.

My recollection is that your governor is back there, I can see in the photo of the prop control leading to the governor.  The governor is as I recall below the oil filter and slightly offset to the right.  Look good there first.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

No warrenty service from the iran or install shops? I'd start there.

If the engine installer didn’t repair the propeller governor and the shop who repaired the engine didn’t fix the propeller governor, the problem belongs to the owner.

Clarence

Did they remove and re-install the prop gov? Did they test run before return to service?  If its me and my plane come back with an oil leak like that it goes back. Not sayin it aint owners responsibility but i want a&p eyes on it. I'd also want a good explanation for why something they removed and re-installed is now broken. Might be reasonable, who knows...

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Did they remove and re-install the prop gov? Did they test run before return to service?  If its me and my plane come back with an oil leak like that it goes back. Not sayin it aint owners responsibility but i want a&p eyes on it. I'd also want a good explanation for why something they removed and re-installed is now broken. Might be reasonable, who knows...

The OP says the oil is leaking from the propeller governor relief valve, I don’t know how the installer could cause it to leak?  A ground run up might not necessarily show a leak during the run up.

Sometimes things go wrong that are beyond anyone’s control.

Clarence

• 4 weeks later...