Surefly Sim4N MP tap

spectre6573

Gents,

For the ones that have had this installed or have done the install, can you describe your connection from the Manifold pressure inline to the nipple.

I plan on tapping #4 cylinder and running a hard line with AN fittings close to the emag and then connect to the MP port on the emag. 

Thanks  

4 hours ago, spectre6573 said:

Gents,

For the ones that have had this installed or have done the install, can you describe your connection from the Manifold pressure inline to the nipple.

I plan on tapping #4 cylinder and running a hard line with AN fittings close to the emag and then connect to the MP port on the emag. 

Thanks  

Picture attached.  My note says 1/8HBXM connector LF.  Think I’m missing one of them.  The other was a barbed fitting.

30A4972C-7E89-4EA0-B9EB-4904ED178ECB.jpeg

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Rob,

Don’t you want a hose clamp on top of the barb?

I want you to have one...   :)

PP thoughts only, not familiar with aviation hose barbs...

Best regards,

-a-

Probably, but I think the only way that thing is coming off is with a blade.  

• Haha 1

I replaced my left mag with the SureFly.  My manifold pressure solution was to replace the manifold pressure bulkhead fitting through the firewall with a T-fitting, AN804-2.  I fabricated a new hose with an Aeroquip MS27404-2D (471-2D) flared fitting and Stratoflex 193-2 hose.  The fittings were from KRN Aviation Services in AZ and the hose from Aircraft Spruce.  I ran the hose along the firewall and dropped it down to the left mag between the master solenoid and starter solenoid (not sure my early C is arranged the same as later production).  There are a lot of right ways to make this connection, but picking up the manifold pressure at the firewall looked like a simpler and cleaner solution than new plumbing off #4 cylinder.  And I think takair is right, the only way that hose is coming off the barb is with a blade.

tom

F82FEA83-7334-45E7-8FF7-3D2FC9C8EB4C.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 47U said:

I replaced my left mag with the SureFly.  My manifold pressure solution was to replace the manifold pressure bulkhead fitting through the firewall with a T-fitting, AN804-2.  I fabricated a new hose with an Aeroquip MS27404-2D (471-2D) flared fitting and Stratoflex 193-2 hose.  The fittings were from KRN Aviation Services in AZ and the hose from Aircraft Spruce.  I ran the hose along the firewall and dropped it down to the left mag between the master solenoid and starter solenoid (not sure my early C is arranged the same as later production).  There are a lot of right ways to make this connection, but picking up the manifold pressure at the firewall looked like a simpler and cleaner solution than new plumbing off #4 cylinder.  And I think takair is right, the only way that hose is coming off the barb is with a blade.

tom

F82FEA83-7334-45E7-8FF7-3D2FC9C8EB4C.jpeg

Thanks for that. So you just left one end of the hose open with not fitting and place it around the barb on the surefly? 

Edited by spectre6573

That’s correct.  The open end of the hose goes on the barbed fitting on the SureFly.  The 193-2 hose is thicker than the hose SureFly provided in the install kit so the interference on the barbed fitting is tighter.  It’s not going anywhere.

tom

I guess I’m kinda happy to see everyone has a different solution that’s ok.  The installation manual sort of leaves that open.

I had a Precise Flight backup vacuum that I had removed (along with primary vac) at the same time I installed the SF.  The standby vac connects to manifold pressure near the bottom of the intake tube on #4.  My mechanic originally said we’d have to send out the intake tube for welding when we removed the standby vac tubing, but then he decided he could use that as our MP source for the SF.  Works perfectly.

• Like 1