Another IO-360-A1A Case Crack...what next?

5 hours ago, corn_flake said:

@Nukemzzz  How do you determine if your case is wide deck vs narrow deck?  

Here's a Lycoming document that explains it and shows a few ways of telling:  https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Wide Deck Cylinder Configuration on Lycoming Engines.pdf

My E has a factory rebuilt engine with a serial number ending in A, so it's a wide deck...but without the roller tappets (which would have an E at the end of the serial number).

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, corn_flake said:

@Nukemzzz  How do you determine if your case is wide deck vs narrow deck?  

I always thought you could tell by the nuts that hold the cylinders on the crankcase. The “narrow deck “ have internal corners such as an Allen bolt where as the “wide deck” has the external corners much like the standard nut you would find on many places in your airplane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwarren2 said:

I always thought you could tell by the nuts that hold the cylinders on the crankcase. The “narrow deck “ have internal corners such as an Allen bolt where as the “wide deck” has the external corners much like the standard nut you would find on many places in your airplane.

Yup, like these I think?

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.56.45 PM.png

• Like 2