COVID-19 flight reviews and IPC

From a limited Google search, the topic has either gone quiet or I’m hitting the wrong searches.  I am familiar with the medical extension discussions, but can’t find status of what the FAA intends to do with flight reviews and IPCs.  Have an older friend asking about his flight review and I personally am coming close to running out of instrument proficiency. Short of shooting approaches on the next bad day, what are folks doing?  We have been as quarantined as practical, so has my friend, but I know he is still very reluctant to fly with someone other than his wife.....and I don’t blame him.

Anyone aware of any movement from the FAA on extending flight reviews or Instrument proficiency?  Don’t want this to be a discussion on how smart it would be, just if it might happen?  I certainly know when I am rusty.  Are masks in the cockpit adequate in such tight quarters?  I would think not if one person is infected. 

24 minutes ago, takair said:

From a limited Google search, the topic has either gone quiet or I’m hitting the wrong searches.  I am familiar with the medical extension discussions, but can’t find status of what the FAA intends to do with flight reviews and IPCs.  Have an older friend asking about his flight review and I personally am coming close to running out of instrument proficiency. Short of shooting approaches on the next bad day, what are folks doing?  We have been as quarantined as practical, so has my friend, but I know he is still very reluctant to fly with someone other than his wife.....and I don’t blame him.

Anyone aware of any movement from the FAA on extending flight reviews or Instrument proficiency?  Don’t want this to be a discussion on how smart it would be, just if it might happen?  I certainly know when I am rusty.  Are masks in the cockpit adequate in such tight quarters?  I would think not if one person is infected. 

I don't know.  I wouldn't expect my usual flight review check pilot, whom I guessing is about 75, to get in the airplane with me right now, nor would I want him to.  

Yesterday I went out and did 2 approaches in actual, very easy very whimpy-mild actual on an actual IFR flight plan which keep up the legality of approaches.  Seems like that serves as a stopgap.

• Like 1

The flight schools here are still flying like crazy.   I *just* captured this to show how much activity there is in the Phoenix area.    This is less than normal, but there's plenty of people flying.   Most of this is training.
image.thumb.png.06604c31d883dea84ec1fad1c49e2aa4.png

I’ve been flying weekly, even got a few approaches in, just not going anywhere and doing it alone. Flying around here (NY area) is way down, including instruction.  I’ll see a few planes that are clearly doing training, but I wonder if they are taking extra precautions?  Jumping student to student doesn’t seem to fit distancing and isolation.....so, are they just taking on the risk, using masks, 100LL shower?  This will be more and more of an issue as flight reviews and proficiency lapse.  

On a side note, sumped 100LL is a great hand sanitizer after using the self serve pump and forgetting gloves.  If this keeps up and I need 100LL sanitizer on a regular basis,  I figure the lead will make me forget all the worlds problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, takair said:

On a side note, sumped 100LL is a great hand sanitizer after using the self serve pump and forgetting gloves.  If this keeps up and I need 100LL sanitizer on a regular basis,  I figure the lead will make me forget all the worlds problems.

:blink:   YIKES CAREFUL ROB! The lipophilic nature of tetraethyl lead in leaded gas makes it an unusually efficient way to get lead through your skin, into your bloodstream, past your blood-brain barrier, and into the central nervous system components most effected by lead toxicity.  I know there's plenty out there who use it to cut the grease off their hands in the shop, but it's a terrible idea.  I don't stress too much over a small splash when sumping, but personally I'd rather take my chances with the virus if the only alternative was to rub 100LL into my hands as sanitizer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/tetraethyllead

Incidentally I was searching for the same info about flight reviews when I found this thread. Mine's due in June - hopefully this situation will shake out a bit by then, but I'm not counting on it.  So far I've managed to go out of my way to keep IFR current in actual - which is always a challenge.

• Like 2

Just now, DXB said:

:blink:   YIKES CAREFUL ROB! The lipophilic nature of tetraethyl lead in leaded gas makes it an unusually efficient way to get lead through your skin, into your bloodstream, past your blood-brain barrier, and into the central nervous system components most effected by lead toxicity.  I know there's plenty out there who use it to cut the grease off their hands in the shop, but it's a terrible idea.  I don't stress too much over a small splash when sumping, but personally I'd rather take my chances with the virus if that was the only alternative was to rub 100LL into my hands as sanitizer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/tetraethyllead

Incidentally I was searching for the same info about flight reviews when I found this thread. Mine's due in June - hopefully this situation will shake out a bit by then, but I'm not counting on it.  So far I've managed to go out of my way to keep IFR current in actual - which is always a challenge.

I forget I’m posting in public. Thanks and valid points....I should have said “don’t try this at home” vs implying it was a good idea.  Just getting a little COVIDed out.  It reminds me of a job I applied to just out of A&P school...in Florida.  The interview consisted of cleaning parts in a vat of 100LL,  while talking to the old timer about the job.  That was long enough ago that 100LL was cheap enough to use as parts cleaner.  Anyway, I decided it wasn’t a great job for min wage (yes....A&P job making min wage and bathing in avgas).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, takair said:

I forget I’m posting in public. Thanks and valid points....I should have said “don’t try this at home” vs implying it was a good idea.  Just getting a little COVIDed out.  It reminds me of a job I applied to just out of A&P school...in Florida.  The interview consisted of cleaning parts in a vat of 100LL,  while talking to the old timer about the job.  That was long enough ago that 100LL was cheap enough to use as parts cleaner.  Anyway, I decided it wasn’t a great job for min wage (yes....A&P job making min wage and bathing in avgas).

May I suggest a bottle of whiskey would be better if you need a liquid to serve double duty as hand santizer and helping forget all your problems.  The effects on mental acuity reverse themselves a bit faster ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DXB said:

May I suggest a bottle of whiskey would be better if you need a liquid to serve double duty as hand santizer and helping forget all your problems.  The effects on mental acuity reverse themselves a bit faster ;)

As long as your whiskey is 140 proof or higher, it would be a great choice.  Lower than that and there are no guarantees about the effectiveness.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, DXB said:

:blink:   YIKES CAREFUL ROB! The lipophilic nature of tetraethyl lead in leaded gas makes it an unusually efficient way to get lead through your skin, into your bloodstream, past your blood-brain barrier, and into the central nervous system components most effected by lead toxicity.  I know there's plenty out there who use it to cut the grease off their hands in the shop, but it's a terrible idea.  I don't stress too much over a small splash when sumping, but personally I'd rather take my chances with the virus if the only alternative was to rub 100LL into my hands as sanitizer.

Been tested. lead detected but in safe range (not sure about that but physician said OK).  Absolutely sure it all came from TEL exposure.

• Sad 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:10 AM, takair said:

I personally am coming close to running out of instrument proficiency. Short of shooting approaches on the next bad day, what are folks doing?  

One of the local flight schools, which BTW is not scheduling any dual instruction, has a Redbird AATD.  A few pilots have used it recently (solo) for practice and maintaining IFR proficiency.  

• Like 2

My flight review is due at the end of this month and I also conducted a search. All I came up with is the AOPA petitioned the FAA for guidance on the subject. The AOPA would like a 90 day extension. So far no word.

Requested exemptions:

• Extension of FAR Part 61 pilot currency requirements, including the flight review and instrument proficiency check.
  • Guidance that 709 reexaminations or paperwork inspections in person (such as logbook inspections under FAR 61.51, or maintenance record inspections under FAR 91.417) be deferred or at least be conducted electronically during the current social distancing safety protocols and directives regarding nonessential activities.
  • Extensions for certificated flight instructor certificate renewal, expiration, and endorsement periods.
  • Extension of knowledge exam expiration period.
  • Extensions for applicants on the ability to complete practical examinations.
  • Extension for filing documents under FAR Part 13 (Subparts C, D, and G).
  • Extensions for aircraft maintenance and continuing airworthiness requirements with necessary mitigation procedures.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New COVID19 rules enacted today!  Many items here.

https://www.faa.gov/coronavirus/regulatory_updates/media/FAA_SFAR_118_CoVid-19_Relief.pdf

Includes 3 month delay in flight review if it was due March to June!  For me that means I'm good 'till end September.

Also no need for IPC (3 month delay) if you have at least 3 approaches (simulated or actual) in last 6 months.

4 minutes ago, DXB said:

New COVID19 rules enacted today!  Many items here.

https://www.faa.gov/coronavirus/regulatory_updates/media/FAA_SFAR_118_CoVid-19_Relief.pdf

Includes 3 month delay in flight review if it was due March to June!  For me that means I'm good 'till end September.

Also no need for IPC (3 month delay) if you have at least 3 approaches (simulated or actual) in last 6 months.

Same here, mine expires tomorrow. Thanks for posting this.

TORB,

what are you seeing, or hoping for..?

Sounds like, they flattened the curve, not eliminated the curve...

a three month delay in your currency requirement, in place of having your currency evaporate while you are stuck not flying...

This requires the world to turn back to normal in three months...

The closeness of the cockpit, may make this challenging...

The absence of quick, easy, low cost and accurate testing makes this a touch harder...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

TORB,

what are you seeing, or hoping for..?

Sounds like, they flattened the curve, not eliminated the curve...

a three month delay in your currency requirement, in place of having your currency evaporate while you are stuck not flying...

This requires the world to turn back to normal in three months...

The closeness of the cockpit, may make this challenging...

The absence of quick, easy, low cost and accurate testing makes this a touch harder...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm just saying people getting excited about this document may want to read it again because it doesn't read to me like it is extending any grace period for weekend warriors only people flying for hire, medical relief efforts, etc...

• Like 1

The article is an easy read, but the SfAR not so much.  Might actually be easier to shoot 6 approaches in a hard IFR thunderstorm.  Hope some attorney can take a read and summarize if a regular part 91 person, just flying in circles can take advantage...otherwise will need to set aside some time and coffee to take a deeper look at this.  

The headers for each section are not great and can cause confusion.  Page 69 has an error in the headings; it brings across the prior section refs. in the numbering.  Anyway, under SFAR 118 as it modifies Part 61, section 2(a)(2), page 70 of the SFAR is applicable to pilots as pilot in command and not flying for hire, but only to the extent they also meet section 2(a)(2)(i),(ii), and (iii). 

Stepping back, in section III. A. last paragraph of page 14, starts with, "Additionally, this relief applies to some operations conducted by pilots … provide that the pilot has at least...".  Emphasis is mine.  Those ops are as described in the 4 bullets of page 15.  Note, even if you meet these criteria for time and ops, no non-essential persons are allowed on the flight.

So, seems to me this SFAR is primarily limited to pilots engaged in for hire ops, business travel, medical needs or essential goods transport. 

Please describe a different interpretation of the actual SFAR or summary.  Don't read a section out of context, though.

The pilot news orgs really have done a disservice to us all not pointing these things out. 

Not an attorney, just a dumb investment banker who should get back to his real job.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WilliamR said:

The headers for each section are not great and can cause confusion.  Page 69 has an error in the headings; it brings across the prior section refs. in the numbering.  Anyway, under SFAR 118 as it modifies Part 61, section 2(a)(2), page 70 of the SFAR is applicable to pilots as pilot in command and not flying for hire, but only to the extent they also meet section 2(a)(2)(i),(ii), and (iii). 

Stepping back, in section III. A. last paragraph of page 14, starts with, "Additionally, this relief applies to some operations conducted by pilots … provide that the pilot has at least...".  Emphasis is mine.  Those ops are as described in the 4 bullets of page 15.  Note, even if you meet these criteria for time and ops, no non-essential persons are allowed on the flight.

So, seems to me this SFAR is primarily limited to pilots engaged in for hire ops, business travel, medical needs or essential goods transport. 

Please describe a different interpretation of the actual SFAR or summary.  Don't read a section out of context, though.

The pilot news orgs really have done a disservice to us all not pointing these things out. 

Not an attorney, just a dumb investment banker who should get back to his real job.

I took some more time after my post and have a similar interpretation of the SFAR itself. Not as appealing as the article leads one to believe.