Ceramic Coating?

M20F-1968

9 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I drove the car from the delivery center straight to the detailer. He still had to remove the factory installed swirl marks :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I actually bought a new car about 3 weeks ago - my first new car in 17 years for me (vs my wife who has deserved a few!). Turns out its a good to negotiate a good price on a new car right now...  A nice Subaru Crosstrek.

ANYWAY. I just rinsed off the car and applied this stuff - and wow it looks great.  Honestly I feel like after a day or two this stuff gets even smoother and clearer/shiny just sitting there.  As if the rubbing in evens out.

• Like 1

Did both our Sequoia and my 335D. For $15 bucks I was thinking it was expensive bug juice. However,  it actually is the only thing I’ve ever used that blends the cobwebs in black paint nicely. I’ve always had black cars and battled Cobwebs constantly. This fluid (C2 Liquid Cristal) appears to fill them and leave a nice finish. Thanks for the recommendation PJ!
-Matt

• Like 1

One additional question for those who've used the C2V3- how well does it hold up after flying a while?  Also, has anyone flown through rain with it?

The only negative reviews I've seen for it was durability and longevity- but those folks might've applied it wrong.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, PJClark said:

I flew through some clouds last week at 197 KTAS...didn't seem to bother it at all. 

Thank you for the response, based upon that I'll likely give it a try.

I wouldn't think TAS would have much bearing on my question unless you're looking for bragging rights, in which case you win.  IAS is probably what's important for erosion purposes, and I'm sure you win that one as well.

53 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

wouldn't think TAS would have much bearing on my question unless you're looking for bragging rights, in which case you win.  IAS is probably what's important for erosion purposes, and I'm sure you win that one as well

I thought about IAS vs TAS. I figured if the C2V3 was getting hit by water droplets and possibly eroding it that would be happening at TAS vice IAS.  But I'm scratching my noggin about that...might be IAS is more appropriate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I actually bought a new car about 3 weeks ago - my first new car in 17 years for me (vs my wife who has deserved a few!). Turns out its a good to negotiate a good price on a new car right now...  A nice Subaru Crosstrek.

ANYWAY. I just rinsed off the car and applied this stuff - and wow it looks great.  Honestly I feel like after a day or two this stuff gets even smoother and clearer/shiny just sitting there.  As if the rubbing in evens out.

Erik couldn’t agree more, my car was delivered from Florida on Sunday, I washed it and on Monday applied Griots ceramic coating, amazing stuff makes new look better.

BD0F67C1-F683-4344-8A87-2668B2B7C3E5.jpeg

6AC7A978-6DA1-4B78-A21D-41808B1DE7FF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:35 AM, ArtVandelay said:

Has anyone have experience with gtechniq c2v3 over time? I’m wondering how it looks as it ages: does it yellow, does it peel off, or does it just slowly fade or erode off like wax?

Well - 2.5 weeks now and no yellow.  Haha - I know that is not very long.  But I swear with a week or two into the application - and it is just getting smoother and shinier on its own.

Oh - that's Strava my dog - she likes to spend time in the hangar with me.

IMG_0699.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Well - 2.5 weeks now and no yellow.  Haha - I know that is not very long.  But I swear with a week or two into the application - and it is just getting smoother and shinier on its own.

Oh - that's Strava my dog - she likes to spend time in the hangar with me.

IMG_0699.jpg

Strava is a great name for the dog of a cyclist!

• Like 1

Let me begin by saying my paint is old and very tired.  From the day we bought the plane both my wife and I knew we wanted a new paint job in the future.  The first annual was much more costly than I had anticipated and so that pushed back the paint shop visit.  Now with the current affairs of the country and the possibility of income interruption, it is going to wait still.  I decided to at least try to make what I had look better and more presentable until such time as the paint shop is an option again.  Even just a good buff polish with an orbital made a significant difference.  Add on top of that a simple spray wax and it was even better.  Last night I tried the GTechniq C2V3 Liquid Crystal on a small section of the tail to see if it was worth my time to do the entire plane.  Let me tell you IT IS.  It was really amazing how much deeper the shine and reflection the surface had where i applied it.

The C2V3 is really bringing life back to my old tired paint job.  I have no idea how much difference it will make in actual flight, but she looks 10 MPH faster just sitting there on the ground with that shine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, carusoam said:

8R,

Post a pic...

I’ll be sure to turn it right side up for ya... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I am out of town right now but once I am back and get the whole plane done I will see if I can get a couple decent pics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

I am out of town right now but once I am back and get the whole plane done I will see if I can get a couple decent pics.

A little touch up paint, ceramic coating most likely two coatings that rascal will look beautiful saving you mucho buckos.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, PJClark said:

but no fear:  5 gallon bucket for $3 at any hardware store. get the Optimum Big Red Sponge on Amazon, or you can use a microfiber towel.  Get Optimum No Rinse (aka ONR) from Amazon). Put 1 oz (I am not kidding, just 1 oz) of ONR into 2 gallons of water in the 5 gallon bucket. Mix. Soak the sponge or towel in the solution, then squeeze it out until it is stil dripping but not too much...you'll get the hang of this. "wash" a panel with this, that wet and then dry with microfiber towels. NO RINSING (hence ONR).  When I'm done with my whole 252/Rocket I still have about 1.5 gal of dirtier water in the bucket.

Now plane is clean, dry, and I should mention...SHINIER! nice bonus.  Now you're ready with a pristinely clean surface for C2V3.  I see a huge difference after 2 sessions with C2V3 compared to the first session...so a little patience...but you could re-do C2V3 24 hours after the first treatment and not have to rewash.

Amazon just delivered my ONR and C2V3....I have a date with the Mooney on Saturday....

I've never used ONR....will it work this easily with a reallly dirty airplane? Or do I need to do a pre-rinse? I live in the desert and right now the plane lives outside.....so 24 hours gives you a fine coating of dust...

25 minutes ago, wingtipwalker said:

Amazon just delivered my ONR and C2V3....I have a date with the Mooney on Saturday....

I've never used ONR....will it work this easily with a reallly dirty airplane? Or do I need to do a pre-rinse? I live in the desert and right now the plane lives outside.....so 24 hours gives you a fine coating of dust...

I love the stuff.

I don't know what it can do, but I fully washed the airplane by standard means before applying C2V3. I think you would want all the dust off before you apply C2V3.

I did it in the spring and around here - we get pollen on the surfaces even inside a hangar.

• Like 1

@wingtipwalker, I ordered both to do the plane but wanted to see how they worked on my car first. ONR was great and cleaned the car but the paint still felt rough when running my hand across the paint. I used a clay bar with ONR as lubricant and the paint felt very smooth afterwards but it did take several days to do a small car. After applying the C2V3, the paint is like glass and looks new minus the big chips. Several scratches that were easily noticeable are well hidden now. I recommend getting all of the contaminates out of the paint before applying C2V3. I haven't started working on the plane yet, as I have it outside at the moment but when I get her back in the hanger, I'll be following the same process as I did with the car. I'll try to capture some before and after pictures.

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, wingtipwalker said:

For sure.....my question is more specifically about the Optima No Rinse as I will be doing that prior to the C2V3.....Is ONR really step 1? Or do I need to do any prep before the ONR?

Oh - sorry.  I don't know.

• Like 1

My suggestion:

If it's  really dirty do it twice. You should do this indoors or at least in the shade

1) make 2 gallons with 1 oz ONR. Use the sponge really wet and dripping...squeeze it out over a section at a time so any dirt is really wet and running off, sponge to clean.  Rinse the sponge in the bucket and reload it.  Repeat over whole airplane.  If you can do this quickly enough that it never dries, dont worry about drying...

2) I guess you should have 2 buckets. Second one same solution.  Now a more standard ONR wash, slightly drippy sponge, wash a section, dry and buff with dry microfiber towel.  Do 1 section at a time until complete.

3) C2V3 as above. If it's very warm outside probably no waiting: spray on, wipe off to mirror shine one section at a time ( a section is maybe 4' x 2' give or take, 4' of wing maybe half the chord at any point)