Ceramic Coating?

M20F-1968

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to pull the trigger and buy something amongst these products - today.  I am leaning toward the Gtechniq C2v3.

But before I make an order - question.  What kind of prep do I need?  My airplane has a layer of classic wax job on it.  Do I need to remove that?  I presume I can just wash the airplane and then proceed.  Or is there more to it and I need some kind of prep product as well.

@aviatoreb from the GTechniq website on "application":

https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c2-liquid-crystal

Bold and italics added by me--just spray it on over what you have and wipe off following the other instructions.

PJ's tip: for some reason I've found that using the same towel for "application" works better than swapping it out all the time.  Using the same towel it gets pretty thoroughly wet with the product pretty quickly.  when I spray product onto a panel, it seems to get spread around better probably since way less of it gets asorbed than with a fresh towel.  I spray, wipe with the wet towel back and forth, then re-wipe side to side. Then wait 1-2 minutes or until you can see that the liquid has begun to "flash" off...then wipe with a dry towel, back and forth, then side to side, then touch up anywhere that isn't super glossy. The second towel I swap out when I can't find a "side" (folded in quarters = 8 sides) that feels dry.

I use the yellow Kirkland towels I posted a pic of earlier in this thread...they work fantastic.

Launder the towels same day in your usual machine with some but less than usual laundry detergent, tumble dry medium heat.

good luck, post photos!

57 minutes ago, PJClark said:

Bold and italics added by me--just spray it on over what you have and wipe off following the other instructions.

PJ's tip: for some reason I've found that using the same towel for "application" works better than swapping it out all the time.  Using the same towel it gets pretty thoroughly wet with the product pretty quickly.  when I spray product onto a panel, it seems to get spread around better probably since way less of it gets asorbed than with a fresh towel.  I spray, wipe with the wet towel back and forth, then re-wipe side to side. Then wait 1-2 minutes or until you can see that the liquid has begun to "flash" off...then wipe with a dry towel, back and forth, then side to side, then touch up anywhere that isn't super glossy. The second towel I swap out when I can't find a "side" (folded in quarters = 8 sides) that feels dry.

I use the yellow Kirkland towels I posted a pic of earlier in this thread...they work fantastic.

Launder the towels same day in your usual machine with some but less than usual laundry detergent, tumble dry medium heat.

good luck, post photos!

I sure will!  Thanks for the tips!  I am buy-in this stuff today!  Like right after this post.

This seems like a great pandemic social distancing activity....

So my plane is already generally very clean but I am still inclined to give it a wash to just get off any hangar dust, etc.  Did you do anything special?

Digression: (If you know me, I speak and think in digressions all the time...I like to call it conversational).  Actually what got me ready to roll on this today is my new car!  So my old car I have been driving since new was 17 years old and doing generally great but recently started showing some corrosion, and needing some general work like new brakes, new clutch and such.  So as of last fall I figured to go through one more winter to use up a bit more my winter studded tires...which I did.  Then I was going to buy something new in March but then history happened....  Well it turns out to be a great time to drive a hard bargain on buying a new car, and interests rates are great.  Yesterday I traded in my old Subaru WRX STI that served me well for a long time, for a simpler but fun crosstrek.  Actually, I am less yearning for a hot rod in my car as I was 17 years ago when I got it then new, because my airplane - a mooney rocket - seems to fulfill my need-a-hot-rod itch more than any car could.  I can actually go 250mph and not get a speeding ticket!  My new car is more a simple go anywhere, simple, better mileage hatchback thing, with lots of plastic protective bits all over it to protect it from the bumps of using it to do sports like loading and unloading bikes or skis - tupperware of a car.  ANYWAY - I am planning to put the ceramic on my brand new car in its 6 miles on the odometer state as it is sitting in my driveway right now,

Edited by aviatoreb

Pj I just finished detailing my plane using and testing between mother’s and mequiars to my surprise Mothers seemed like the better carnauba product, I plan, hope it’s not a mistake, to now go over the plane with gtrchniq product. Nothing else to due during this covid kidnapping 

@aviatoreb---I would ALWAYS wash just before using C2V3.  more than a day later there's gonna at least be dust on it.

but no fear:  5 gallon bucket for $3 at any hardware store. get the Optimum Big Red Sponge on Amazon, or you can use a microfiber towel.  Get Optimum No Rinse (aka ONR) from Amazon). Put 1 oz (I am not kidding, just 1 oz) of ONR into 2 gallons of water in the 5 gallon bucket. Mix. Soak the sponge or towel in the solution, then squeeze it out until it is stil dripping but not too much...you'll get the hang of this. "wash" a panel with this, that wet and then dry with microfiber towels. NO RINSING (hence ONR).  When I'm done with my whole 252/Rocket I still have about 1.5 gal of dirtier water in the bucket.

Now plane is clean, dry, and I should mention...SHINIER! nice bonus.  Now you're ready with a pristinely clean surface for C2V3.  I see a huge difference after 2 sessions with C2V3 compared to the first session...so a little patience...but you could re-do C2V3 24 hours after the first treatment and not have to rewash.

@Danb...according to their website, the c2V3 should just make your Meguiars look even deeper and glossier....

@aviatoreb...I must not be drinking right.  I got my Rocket home last 3 Nov, and promptly I'm jonesing for either a 427 Cobra Replica or a C7 Corvette. I think my need for speed has merely been whetted.  The Ministry of Finance is holding the line at a Rocket so far...But I have birthday plans for her that may Scotch that resistance in less than 2 weeks! :ph34r:

I will add:  I got my ferry permit yesterday and I'm off to my delayed annual at AGL this Saturday or Sunday. So I'm back in bidnith flying by end of next week.  You other Mooney dudes who're using coatings in the next couple of weeks--we should see if we can meet up somewhere, open up a grill, some charcoal, and some meat from coolers in the airplanes, and grill some burgers on somebody's flight line while we compare our C2v3 (or other product) results while admiring our glistening Mooneys.

• Like 4

Hmmm....

The world rally car is dead... long live the WRX... :)

While working on the planes.... this weekend...

Read up on the latest from Chevy... A C7 is quite nice.... I think they are up to C9 with a pusher prop(?) engine in the back...

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette

It must be important to clean the old wax off properly or somehow prep it properly to have the new stuff be a able to adhere to it...

Also... check the details on putting it on new paint... any special instructions for how old the paint must be... or what tools or pads should be used... or avoided...

PP thoughts only not a mechanic... or coatings expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Up here in the mountains, (or at least we can see them from here) the Bimmer will be up for sale this summer and I've been thinking I'll replace it with something that will handle the snow a bit better. I'm thinking a 996 Turbo. They are all wheel drive so good in snow, and it would match my 252 Turbo pretty well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Up here in the mountains, (or at least we can see them from here) the Bimmer will be up for sale this summer and I've been thinking I'll replace it with something that will handle the snow a bit better. I'm thinking a 996 Turbo. They are all wheel drive so good in snow, and it would match my 252 Turbo pretty well.

@gsxrpilot

Excellent choice!

996TT is my daily driver. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Best bang for buck out there, IMHO:D

Edited by MikeOH
  • Like 1

Oh, and to make my last post relevant, I coated my 996 last year to CQUK and the plane a coupe years ago with the same. Moderately happy with CQUK.   This year going with GTechniq CSL with a top coat of EXOv4 on the plane.  Of course, after a thorough wash, clay and polish. 

William

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:53 AM, PJClark said:

good luck, post photos!

WOW - that stuff is AMAZING!  So quick and easy to use and the effect is out of this world.   Paint job is already clean and almost new - but this stuff makes it just that much better.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

WOW - that stuff is AMAZING!  So quick and easy to use and the effect is out of this world.   Paint job is already clean and almost new - but this stuff makes it just that much better.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Dude, that looks awesome!

• Like 1

I did a second coating of the airplane with the ceramic-magic. I'm not sure how its possible but it is even smoother, shinier and even more bling than after the first coat for which I showed pictures yesterday - so a couple more pictures today.  I also did two of the cars - one airplane two coats (two on top one coat on bottom) and two cars, was how far one bottle lasted.  It is so shiny and smooth and easy to use - I have never seen anything like this.

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1