Mercy Flight...flying

FastTex

Do you fly for Mercy Flight or similar?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly for Mercy Flight or similar?

• Yes
    • No

I fly for Angelflight Soars, based at PDK, and less frequently for Angelflight MidAtlantic, based in Virginia Beach. TheY are both well-run and responsive to pilots. They understand GA concerns, back us up, and are wonderfully flexible whenever they can be. The passengers are enthusiastic about GA, and are touchingly grateful. Stories? Every flight is a story, most of them heartwarming, stories of optimism in the face of  poor long-term odds. There was the blind man who capably climbed up the Mooney’s wing without help. A former mechanic, he plumbed the shallow depths of my engine knowledge., and seemed to listen intently to every stroke of that TSIO-360. His old face was creased with smile lines. There was the 16-year-old boy with runaway cancer eating away at the right side of his face. He was sure this next last-ditch treatment was going to turn the miserable prognosis around, and he would, thanks to me and my fellow AF pilots,  pursue an aeronautical engineering degree. He marveled at the beauty of our evening flight. Last month I flew two women fighting metastatic breast cancer. Separate trips, but near-identical levels of optimism, enthusiasm and gratitude. Truly lessons to us all.
Sometimes  the pax don’t think weight limits apply to them. One family showed up for their evening transfer with a desperately ill baby with genetic awfulness, an airsick dad, a midsized duffel as advised, AND a metric s-ton of ventilator, batteries, suction device, car seat, etc. Yikes! The Bo pilot who brought them here had texted me that a Mooney might have a weight problem.The poor folk hadn’t understood that “weight” meant ALL the weight. Yes, vital medical gear included, everything those wings would have to lift.  It being late, and poor papa still finding lunch to lose, I brought them home for the night, we stopped by UPS the next morning to ship their duffle, and completed the mission. I could have asked Angelflight to find them a ticket each from ORF, or at least paid for a hotel for the night while we sorted them out, but it wasn’t necessary. Empty-nesters, we had room to share.

I sometimes fly for Veterans Airlift Command and for Pilots and Paws, but Angelflight Soars is my favorite because they’re pros. And because I’m more likely to find a route that fits my geographic preferences. I think you will find it’s the best use of avgas that doesn’t involve a beach or beloved relatives at the other end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I fly for Angelflight Soars, based at PDK, and less frequently for Angelflight MidAtlantic, based in Virginia Beach. TheY are both well-run and responsive to pilots. They understand GA concerns, back us up, and are wonderfully flexible whenever they can be. The passengers are enthusiastic about GA, and are touchingly grateful. Stories? Every flight is a story, most of them heartwarming, stories of optimism in the face of  poor long-term odds. There was the blind man who capably climbed up the Mooney’s wing without help. A former mechanic, he plumbed the shallow depths of my engine knowledge., and seemed to listen intently to every stroke of that TSIO-360. His old face was creased with smile lines. There was the 16-year-old boy with runaway cancer eating away at the right side of his face. He was sure this next last-ditch treatment was going to turn the miserable prognosis around, and he would, thanks to me and my fellow AF pilots,  pursue an aeronautical engineering degree. He marveled at the beauty of our evening flight. Last month I flew two women fighting metastatic breast cancer. Separate trips, but near-identical levels of optimism, enthusiasm and gratitude. Truly lessons to us all.
Sometimes  the pax don’t think weight limits apply to them. One family showed up for their evening transfer with a desperately ill baby with genetic awfulness, an airsick dad, a midsized duffel as advised, AND a metric s-ton of ventilator, batteries, suction device, car seat, etc. Yikes! The Bo pilot who brought them here had texted me that a Mooney might have a weight problem.The poor folk hadn’t understood that “weight” meant ALL the weight. Yes, vital medical gear included, everything those wings would have to lift.  It being late, and poor papa still finding lunch to lose, I brought them home for the night, we stopped by UPS the next morning to ship their duffle, and completed the mission. I could have asked Angelflight to find them a ticket each from ORF, or at least paid for a hotel for the night while we sorted them out, but it wasn’t necessary. Empty-nesters, we had room to share.

I sometimes fly for Veterans Airlift Command and for Pilots and Paws, but Angelflight Soars is my favorite because they’re pros. And because I’m more likely to find a route that fits my geographic preferences. I think you will find it’s the best use of avgas that doesn’t involve a beach or beloved relatives at the other end.

Thank you for sharing all this. 

I’m the flight coordinator for Northwoods Airlifeline, based in the U.P. of Michigan.  I’m the longest active pilot and board member (affiliated with them since 1991, flying for them since 1994).   I’ve been up and down on yearly flight count, being one of the highest annual flight count pilots at times (especially during my two tours as flight coordinator) and hardly doing any during the 3 year push to finish my Lancair.  The last 3 years I’m up again; I did over 30 last year.  

I will likely write a book on my experiences.  Not enough space or time to even start here, other than it should be the most rewarding experience in your life.  

Here is one of my recent special cases.  46 years old, battling cancer and hoping to see her 10th grade daughter graduate.  Even invited my wife and me over for an amazing fish fry hosted by her dad during the one year I helped her.  She didn’t get to see her daughter enter her senior year.  

BUT, for an hour during every flight out to or back from the Mayo Clinic, her mind was on the awesome (and quick) airplane ride rather than her cancer challenge.  Coming from a financially challenged background, she thought she was a queen during those flights.  She even insisted on flying copilot, relegating her dad to the back seat.  

When my wife and I entered the funeral service, this picture and another of her and her dad by my plane were front and center as 8 x10’s by the guest book.  She still brings tears to my eyes!

Tom

42A88990-881E-498C-AD84-666B3A2E4065.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I’m the flight coordinator for Northwoods Airlifeline, based in the U.P. of Michigan.  I’m the longest active pilot and board member (affiliated with them since 1991, flying for them since 1994).   I’ve been up and down on yearly flight count, being one of the highest annual flight count pilots at times (especially during my two tours as flight coordinator) and hardly doing any during the 3 year push to finish my Lancair.  The last 3 years I’m up again; I did over 30 last year.  

I will likely write a book on my experiences.  Not enough space or time to even start here, other than it should be the most rewarding experience in your life.  

Here is one of my recent special cases.  46 years old, battling cancer and hoping to see her 10th grade daughter graduate.  Even invited my wife and me over for an amazing fish fry hosted by her dad during the one year I helped her.  She didn’t get to see her daughter enter her senior year.  

BUT, for an hour during every flight out to or back from the Mayo Clinic, her mind was on the awesome (and quick) airplane ride rather than her cancer challenge.  Coming from a financially challenged background, she thought she was a queen during those flights.  She even insisted on flying copilot, relegating her dad to the back seat.  

When my wife and I entered the funeral service, this picture and another of her and her dad by my plane were front and center as 8 x10’s by the guest book.  She still brings tears to my eyes!

Tom

42A88990-881E-498C-AD84-666B3A2E4065.jpeg

Beautiful.  I look forward to your book. 

• Thanks 2

If flying Angel Flights or other human transports seems like a lot... at first...

Consider Pilots and Paws... to get your feet wet...

Some veterans have been transported as well...

there is also opportunities for hurricane / tornado relief...

Some MSers have been moving Covid medical supplies lately...

Every trip counts...

There may be added benefits as well... tax deductions, fuel discounts... Shorter line at St. Peter’s gate... or getting issued a Missed Approach, while on final...  :)

Go for it!

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom, if/when you write your book I will be on the pre-order for it.

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

If flying Angel Flights or other human transports seems like a lot... at first...

Consider Pilots and Paws... to get your feet wet...

Pilots and Paws is fun and rewarding. Consider the size of dogs you will transport. We've done a number of flights, mostly small dogs in soft side kennels. We did do one large dog that we had clipped into the rear seat belt. He did well for most of the two hour flight from AZ to CA, but got nervous right at the end and had an accident on final. Nothing quite like short final and the smell of dog poop... He was the last big dog we transported, easier to clean the inside of a kennel than the back seat.

I signed up for Angel Flight West a few months back and all ready to go, then the current Corona Virus hit and between much more time required at work with reduced staff among other things and also not wanting to possibly spread it to those I would be transporting I have yet to do an Angel Flight. Looking forward to when I can begin.

• Like 3

When we’ve flown tethered dogs, (being a mistrustful sort) I’ve spread a heavy vinyl flannel-backed tablecloth over the seat back, over the seat, and onto the floor. I cut slits for seatbelt access. If cleanup had been required, it would’ve been easy. May do the same for my grandkids.

My first PnP passenger was a beautiful German Wirehair Pointer, nicely trained and totally chill. When we landed, he strained far forward and licked the back of my copilot’s neck in appreciation. The startled and appalled expression was worth the cost of the gas.

• Like 1

I've flown with Operation Airdrop, taking relief supplies in after hurricanes. It's sobering to see boats at the airport.

Just be careful on that first takeoff. It's odd to have weight in the back and an empty front seat! Made sure to put a case or two of water up front for the second trip. Didn't want another person, useful load is better used carrying supplies. The firemen were especially happy with the 34lb box of batteries. 

Angel Flight is in my future. But like the rest of us, my plane requires strength and mobility to get in, and I can provide no assistance getting out . . . .

• Thanks 1

I signed up for aerobridge but so far there have been only a handful of missions available and they were all really far from where I am... I wonder if any of these other organizations have a more pressing need right now, or more activity on the east/NE coast.

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

I've flown with Operation Airdrop, taking relief supplies in after hurricanes. It's sobering to see boats at the airport.

Just be careful on that first takeoff. It's odd to have weight in the back and an empty front seat! Made sure to put a case or two of water up front for the second trip. Didn't want another person, useful load is better used carrying supplies. The firemen were especially happy with the 34lb box of batteries. 

Angel Flight is in my future. But like the rest of us, my plane requires strength and mobility to get in, and I can provide no assistance getting out . . . .

I agree, that's why I would be more interested in moving goods and supplies. Let's see what type of missions are available, I've read there is a variety (people and not)...

20 minutes ago, Ricky_231 said:

I signed up for aerobridge but so far there have been only a handful of missions available and they were all really far from where I am... I wonder if any of these other organizations have a more pressing need right now, or more activity on the east/NE coast.

Check with Angel Flight and PALS, they're big up that way. 

• Like 1

I flew for Angel Flight South Central for several years and did quite a few patient transports. Everyone of them was a good and positive experience. Since moving to Colorado I've been flying for Angel Flight West. Lately I've flown hospital supplies out to some very rural hospitals here in Colorado. 

At the moment, flying supplies is all there is to do. And frankly, you have to be quick on the reply to get a mission. There are probably 20 pilots for every available mission, waiting around for some excuse, any excuse to go fly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1